Big Thunder Mountain Refurb

Right ... these washes rapidly change (Pink/Red/Blue/Purple) I think during Celebratration (I am pretty sure these were LED washes, but I was shooting and focusing on my exposures so I can't remember the exact time but I am pretty sure it was around then) Yes, these were twinkinling LED's, whites/reds/blues/purples they looked great. The other strobes I was referring to are the floating pyro.

Maybe Martin can chime in and let us know if these were always here, or if these are new ... or if I drank to much Sake that night and imagined the whole thing. :D

I know exactly what you are referring to by the twinkling/dancing lights on the pavilions. I noticed this for the first time in February. I don't like the lights on the pathways before the show, but the look great during it!!

Scuttle

I haven't read the entire thread, but does anyone else think it's possible they will be installing individual lap bars(like Everest)? I really like being able to fly back and forth on Thunder. It would really take a lot of fun away for me IMO. Hopefully they don't have this in mind and if they do maybe they will atleast lower the height requirement a few inches as a result?

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
You've got no idea how sick I am of hearing that line. Could you please show me anywhere on the Walt Disney World website which states that there are non-peak months at the parks.

Here you go from the dvc website... it doesn't say Peak, but there is a difference
picture.php

KCheatle

Well...May hours just came out and as of May, the calender on Disney's website says:

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - Closed For Refurbishment [ Monday, January 09 - Saturday, March 31 ]

So, I'm not sure where the May 31st date came from, but it appears to be a couple months off.

Also, according to Disney's Calendar, there are no refurbishments in May in Epcot, so I'm not sure what truth there is to the Test Track refurbishment. It appears that Disney likes to give it's guests a heads-up about ride closures/refurbs before they book a trip . I'm sure if Test Track were going down in May, it would be posted on their Calendar.

huntzilla

I would actually welcome an interactive queue for BTM. Besides the front facade, most of the line is just switchbacks throughout the building. I feel they could really expand on the story of the attraction as well. Look at HM, I don't think the queue was particularly well done, but it did expand on the story of the attraction. BTM has such a well themed and intricate backstory, I'd like to see more of it told throughout the queue, even if that means it's interactive.

njdan

well I would doubt it would be open early. Twice we were at Disney and refurbs ran longer then scheduled once for big thunder and once for toy story both ran longer than scheduled.
However Disney has many good rides so dont sweat it

HMF

I would actually welcome an interactive queue for BTM. Besides the front facade, most of the line is just switchbacks throughout the building. I feel they could really expand on the story of the attraction as well. Look at HM, I don't think the queue was particularly well done, but it did expand on the story of the attraction.

HM has no story other than it is simply a retirement home for 999 Happy Haunts. The Interactive Queue does a wonderful job of detracting from the experience rather than adding to it,

Victor Kelly

HM has no story other than it is simply a retirement home for 999 Happy Haunts. The Interactive Queue does a wonderful job of detracting from the experience rather than adding to it,

Since i have not seen the queue yet (they just started it last time we were there), your insight as to the detraction? I can understand it will hold up the line like what happens on space mountain. But it there more that I have not read about?

huntzilla

Let me rephrase what I meant. Yes, that is the general story, however there is a large cast of characters throughout the attraction. What they tried to do in the queue was expand on the backstories of those characters and give them life (no pun intended). Do I think the HM queue is well done, no, but that doesn't take away from the fact that if done well, a new queue in BTM could better express the story of Tumbleweed and give it more history.

ToTBellHop

Well...May hours just came out and as of May, the calender on Disney's website says:

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - Closed For Refurbishment [ Monday, January 09 - Saturday, March 31 ]

So, I'm not sure where the May 31st date came from, but it appears to be a couple months off.

Also, according to Disney's Calendar, there are no refurbishments in May in Epcot, so I'm not sure what truth there is to the Test Track refurbishment. It appears that Disney likes to give it's guests a heads-up about ride closures/refurbs before they book a trip . I'm sure if Test Track were going down in May, it would be posted on their Calendar.

I'm sure just about everything you have said is incorrect. disneyworld.com is notoriously bad, and Disney is notoriously slow when announcing refurbishments to guests.

ttalovebug

Let me rephrase what I meant. Yes, that is the general story, however there is a large cast of characters throughout the attraction. What they tried to do in the queue was expand on the backstories of those characters and give them life (no pun intended). Do I think the HM queue is well done, no, but that doesn't take away from the fact that if done well, a new queue in BTM could better express the story of Tumbleweed and give it more history.

Not quite. I mean, most of the characters in the new queue were newly invented, right? The poet lady, the family of busts, the captain (unless he's meant to be the one in the picture)- or am I incorrect? I'll admit I didn't spend much time there, the whole thing just rubs me the wrong way. Not enough to walk away outraged, like the first time I rode the Dench SSE. Just enough to walk through, wrinkle my nose, and say "ewww, I don't like this."

I know fans can get into really complicated reasons why the queue is an abomination, and I'm certainly not on their level of dedication to the HM. There is one glaring reason in my mind, though, that makes the queue annoying for me. You don't really see much ghost action until Madame Leota conjurs up the spirits in the seance. You hear creaking doors, catch glimpses of ghostly shadows or footprints, and see a few objects moving on their own that shouldn't. But nothing crazily supernatural until after the seance. There's a sort of still, eerie quietness about the mansion up until that point, and the queue just doesn't fit. There's loud noises, water splashing, and one of the ghosts is full-on having a conversation with the guests! It just doesn't fit. This is why the Leota tombstone is the perfect amount of interactivity for the mansion's introduction. It's so quick that it makes you wonder whether you really saw it or not. You can walk around outside the mansion and it almost doesn't appear haunted at all, making the inside all the more suprising. I think that's why I've found the new queue to be a little, for lack of a better word, vulgar in it's noise and busyness.

HMF

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/2006/11/myth-of-story.html

cadet2626

I noticed on the Disney World website that the refurb is supposed to be completed by the end of April. On other websites it says that it will be completed at the end of May. Why such a huge discrepancy. Does anybody know.

ToTBellHop

I noticed on the Disney World website that the refurb is supposed to be completed by the end of April. On other websites it says that it will be completed at the end of May. Why such a huge discrepancy. Does anybody know.

Because Disneyworld.com is almost always wrong. Trust me--from experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom