Big Thunder Mountain Refurb

janoimagine

As for the color washes and multi-colored strobes (not LEDs) during IllumiNations, both have been there since the show began in 1999. But they are easy to miss with all that happens during RoE.

Are you sure about that? I have seen the show at least 30 times prior and have never noticed the 'dancing' color washes on the countries, the popcorn lights I have seen but never the color washes. In fact when I asked Guest Relations, they indicated they were added earlier in the year, as well as the twinkling LED's in the trees around the WS. The strobes in the water I have seen for years, but these were in the trees ... :shrug:

hpyhnt 1000

Are you sure about that? I have seen the show at least 30 times prior and have never noticed the 'dancing' color washes on the countries, the popcorn lights I have seen but never the color washes. In fact when I asked Guest Relations, they indicated they were added earlier in the year, as well as the twinkling LED's in the trees around the WS. The strobes in the water I have seen for years, but these were in the trees ... :shrug:

Now I'm confused. :lol: The color washes I'm referring to take place during Adventure (blue when the pavilions initially light up), Celebration (initially blue before pinkish red is added halfway thru to create purple), and toward the end of We Go On (initially blue as the globe opens before the red is added during the finale). Those are the only washes that take place on the pavilions. Now, possibly they are upgrading them from washes to colored LEDs (I know Italy has been LED for awhile) but I have no knowledge of the rest of the pavilions are being upgraded.

And what twinkling LEDs in the trees around WS? I have no idea what those could be. And what do you mean by strobes in the water? Are you referring to the strobes on the fountain barges and Earth Globe or the floating pyro that occurs during Chaos? or to something else entirely?

COProgressFan

Its ... freaking ... embarassing ... the only popcorn lights that were on were the ones on Narcossees for the entire week of 10/2 ... the tower on the resort had 1 strip of popcorn lights on ... I looked at it then looked at a manager who was standing just to the right of the WL boat launch at the MK ... I said are you kidding me? He looked at me and I said; 'Did you guys forget to pay your electricity bill on your flagship resort?!?' He smiled and walked away.

You pay top dollar to stay at Disney ... and on such glaring issues like this I refuse to give them a free pass.

The GF popcorn light situation has been horrible for YEARS and they have not done anything about it. Like others have said, its not about a bulb out here and there, but multiple strands and huge sections of lights out. I am just surprised that no-one seems to care enough to do anything about it. Not a guest service manager, maintenance person, general manager of the resort, has taken the initiative to make this happen.

I understand that it is difficult to get someone up there to change the bulbs, but it was difficult in the early 1990s too, and someone used to do it regularly. Honestly, if they aren't going to bother fixing them, they should just shut them off entirely. It would look much better.

At this point, I think the best thing they could do would be replace them all with LED bulbs. It would be costly upfront, but they would require hardly any maintenance at all for many years.

janoimagine

Now I'm confused. :lol: The color washes I'm referring to take place during Adventure (blue when the pavilions initially light up), Celebration (initially blue before pinkish red is added halfway thru to create purple), and toward the end of We Go On (initially blue as the globe opens before the red is added during the finale). Those are the only washes that take place on the pavilions. Now, possibly they are upgrading them from washes to colored LEDs (I know Italy has been LED for awhile) but I have no knowledge of the rest of the pavilions are being upgraded.

And what twinkling LEDs in the trees around WS? I have no idea what those could be. And what do you mean by strobes in the water? Are you referring to the strobes on the fountain barges and Earth Globe or the floating pyro that occurs during Chaos? or to something else entirely?

Right ... these washes rapidly change (Pink/Red/Blue/Purple) I think during Celebratration (I am pretty sure these were LED washes, but I was shooting and focusing on my exposures so I can't remember the exact time but I am pretty sure it was around then) Yes, these were twinkinling LED's, whites/reds/blues/purples they looked great. The other strobes I was referring to are the floating pyro.

Maybe Martin can chime in and let us know if these were always here, or if these are new ... or if I drank to much Sake that night and imagined the whole thing. :D

Scuttle

The GF popcorn light situation has been horrible for YEARS and they have not done anything about it. Like others have said, its not about a bulb out here and there, but multiple strands and huge sections of lights out. I am just surprised that no-one seems to care enough to do anything about it. Not a guest service manager, maintenance person, general manager of the resort, has taken the initiative to make this happen.

I understand that it is difficult to get someone up there to change the bulbs, but it was difficult in the early 1990s too, and someone used to do it regularly. Honestly, if they aren't going to bother fixing them, they should just shut them off entirely. It would look much better.

At this point, I think the best thing they could do would be replace them all with LED bulbs. It would be costly upfront, but they would require hardly any maintenance at all for many years.

Agree. It seems that would be the simple solution. But even if they just had a crew that came once a month for light bulb replacement. That's all it would take. Sure you would have a few out here and there, which is understandable, but to have hundreds of lights out is ridiculous.

Pr1nc355

Original Poster
I am so depressed after reading this thread. I love WDW and it breaks my heart that things are falling apart. Is there anything we can do other than post our complaints on a blog? Most of the people here seem to have a lot of knowledge.

hpyhnt 1000

Right ... these washes rapidly change (Pink/Red/Blue/Purple) I think during Celebratration (I am pretty sure these were LED washes, but I was shooting and focusing on my exposures so I can't remember the exact time but I am pretty sure it was around then) Yes, these were twinkinling LED's, whites/reds/blues/purples they looked great. The other strobes I was referring to are the floating pyro.

Maybe Martin can chime in and let us know if these were always here, or if these are new ... or if I drank to much Sake that night and imagined the whole thing. :D

Yeah, those pavilion washes have been there since (I think) the beginning of RoE. Now, if they had them rapidly changing or flashing that would be something different as I've only known them to provide a steady illumination. I still have no clue what twinkling LEDs you are talking about. I know the pavilions feature a large number of white and multi-colored strobes, and the fountain barges and Earth Globe do as well, but again these are all strobe lights, not LEDs.

I do agree that Martin can settle this once and for all, probably with pictures and manufacturers specs to boot. :lol:

_Scar

I am so depressed after reading this thread. I love WDW and it breaks my heart that things are falling apart. Is there anything we can do other than post our complaints on a blog? Most of the people here seem to have a lot of knowledge.

IMO WDW has been getting better and better in recent years. :shrug:

janoimagine

Yeah, those pavilion washes have been there since (I think) the beginning of RoE. Now, if they had them rapidly changing or flashing that would be something different as I've only known them to provide a steady illumination.
I do agree that Martin can settle this once and for all, probably with pictures and manufacturers specs to boot. :lol:

Yeah, they must have made a program change and now have them rapidly changing ... they look great, like dancing lights on the facades.

Regarding the strobes ... I know about the ones on the barges and the countries ... but on this night I was shooting on the bridge between the UK and France, and they looked to be coming from the trees to either side of the Port of Entry shops, as well as to my right, by the American pavilion ... I thought it was a cool little upgrade ... but maybe like you said they have been there all along and either they havent been working or the re-programmed them.

Martin, am I crazy or have they upgraded a few things on ROE?

goodyman33

hi i have also just seen on another site mouseplanet that says thunder mountain will be complete by april 1.can anyone get confirmation of these 2 different dates that are being quoted.
also if any disney execs read these comments.the runaway mine train in portaventura has webcams on each carriage and you can buy a dvd of your ride when you get off... better than just a still picture.. hint hint

Uncle Lupe

I just got back from the World yesterday, and we were able to ride Big Thunder. I was to busy having fun with my first ride in 20 years an my nieces first ride ever to worry about broken effects. I knew they were missing but I didn't care. I was still enjoying the ride.

Victor Kelly

Twinkling lights have always been in the trees in MK and Epcot.

For the GF, sounds like more than bulbs, possibly circuits that are having issues. Maintenance on resorts is harder because guests are sleeping at night, so everything has to be done in the day time.

As far as attractions go, they need to be closed, and refurbished from time to time. A 365 resort means things will be down at any given time. It cannot be helped, it has to happen, everybody has to pay the same amount.

janoimagine

Martin said the dancing colors on the pavilion have been there since day 1, but don't always work properly ... wasn't sure about the LED's though ... I'm amazed that it took me so long to see it working ... considering it is one of my favorite shows. :D

WDW Monorail

Yeah, they must have made a program change and now have them rapidly changing ... they look great, like dancing lights on the facades.

Regarding the strobes ... I know about the ones on the barges and the countries ... but on this night I was shooting on the bridge between the UK and France, and they looked to be coming from the trees to either side of the Port of Entry shops, as well as to my right, by the American pavilion ... I thought it was a cool little upgrade ... but maybe like you said they have been there all along and either they havent been working or the re-programmed them.

Martin, am I crazy or have they upgraded a few things on ROE?

There definetly aren't any strobes in the trees where you mentioned. Firefly lights either LED or incandescent for sure but they ae not strobes.
Do you recall at what point in the show they were on? Were they on for the standard strobe cues?

hpyhnt 1000

Martin said the dancing colors on the pavilion have been there since day 1, but don't always work properly ... wasn't sure about the LED's though ... I'm amazed that it took me so long to see it working ... considering it is one of my favorite shows. :D

Interesting. I've never seen the color washes "dance" in all the times I've seen RoE. I know the popcorn type lights fade in and out with the music during Celebration but thats all the "dancing" I've seen the pavilions do.

Tip Top Club said:
So...Anyone know if there is any hope for some queue related work during this upgrade?

Considering the lousy structural state the queue is in, there will be work done.

janoimagine

There definetly aren't any strobes in the trees where you mentioned. Firefly lights either LED or incandescent for sure but they ae not strobes.
Do you recall at what point in the show they were on? Were they on for the standard strobe cues?

They were during the celebration sequence ... Separate from the strobe ques, and they were definately the size of Christmas lights, the colors were cool white, red and either blue or purple and they flashed/strobed. Pretty sure I'm not crazy because I commented to my wife that they looked new to me. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom