Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

David S.

Five months ago I took some video in Hollywood Studios. One of the Streetmosphere performers announced over the loudspeakers during his routine that Fast Passes are good not just in the return time frame but every hour after for the rest of the day.

So it wasn't even like it was a secret to those in the know. Disney (or this cast member) actively promoted using it late.

Watch here. 6:05 min mark.

http://youtu.be/io8_pO_eqXY

GREAT example!

Here's another clip from a Star Wars Weekend "Stars of the Saga" preshow where the stormtroopers clearly state they can be used anytime after the first time: (between about 1:55 and 2:20 on the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C1KJS3aOtQ

Again, this was Disney POLICY. It was part of Disney's RULES for Fastpass that it could be utilized until park closing.

Exactly!

It's the people who keep insisting that we've been breaking the rules all these years and represent the scum of the earth, when we've been following what was accepted as policy and propagated by attraction CM's.

I agree!

Look - here's the deal - Disney has had it in their policy since FP began that you can use the FP after the stated hour window. This change has nothing to do with people "scamming" the system. It means a NEW system is coming in (this NextGen stuff). It is changing the way FP has to be handled. I get it. But you are way off-base suggesting that people have been breaking some sort of rule. Far from it. Disney's own internal FP policy literature (which has been posted on this site before) has clearly stated that people returning after the window are to be admitted to the attraction. If you have chosen to not take advantage, that's your prerogative. But there is no reason to suggest that others have been dishonest or wrong.

Well said Tigger1988, Donald Dole Whip, Menamechris, and others.

My first day EVER using the system, in 2006, I asked a CM immediately after getting my first Fastpass, "What if I misjudge the wait time on other attractions and miss the one hour window for my Fastpass"?

The response was a reasuring, hospitable smile, and a "Don't worry about the second time, they are good ALL NIGHT until the park closes. We only care that you are after your first time".

As a seasonal resident since that time, I have frequently asked other CMs, ranging from front line attraction hosts and hostesses, to park managers, to Guest Relations staff, the same question, several times each year, to make sure the policy was still the same. Sometimes I've even used the exact words "Is it considered 'against the rules' to use one 'late'?"

In EVERY instance I was told the EXACT same thing - that they were good until park closing and I was not "breaking any rules" in doing so.

All of my numerous in-park experience supports that up until now (or apparently March 7), Disney did not consider it "breaking the rules" to use them "late" and in many cases openly encouraged people to do so.

It was ironically not until reading a Fastpass debate on this forum a few years ago that I even became aware that the willful use of a FP "late" on the same date issued was frowned upon so much in some disgruntled quarters of the online fanbase.

But since I was always supported and even encouraged in doing so by those who actually worked at the parks, THEIR word is what I went by, and therefore was not breaking any official rules when I used a FP "late"!

TalkingHead

So all those cast members who have told people they can come back after the return window should be fired?

Look - here's the deal - Disney has had it in their policy since FP began that you can use the FP after the stated hour window. This change has nothing to do with people "scamming" the system. It means a NEW system is coming in (this NextGen stuff). It is changing the way FP has to be handled. I get it. But you are way off-base suggesting that people have been breaking some sort of rule. Far from it. Disney's own internal FP policy literature (which has been posted on this site before) has clearly stated that people returning after the window are to be admitted to the attraction. If you have chosen to not take advantage, that's your prerogative. But there is no reason to suggest that others have been dishonest or wrong.

Has Disney shared that FP policy with the general public? Is it on the FPs? Is it in the park maps? What is this, like some kind of speakeasy password where you have to be connected or a member of a Disney fan site to "take advantage" of the system? What a screwy way to do business.

Why was there a return window, at all, if the window wasn't going to be enforced? To dupe the suckers who don't have CM friends to tell them that they can use their FPs whenever? Awesome way to treat your guests who are unaware of this and hence at a disadvantage.

(Does all of this point to poor, inept management? Most definitely.)

I'll just say if Disney is going to insist on using FPs in the parks, then it's high time they actually manage the system as it was designed to be managed.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I think this a good move to actually enforce those windows. It should help to operate a more efficient FASTPASS system, when people actually ride during the computer allocated timeframe, rather than what happens now. I do feel for the CMs who will be enforcing this however, it is going to be rough for a while. I'm sure that Disney will make it very clear on maps and the FP tickets that the time window is real.
I have no problems with this what so ever. None. It's about time.

I am a stickler for being on time, so maybe that is why.

WDW1974

What you don't understand is that Disney is now impinging on my ability to have a magical, memorable, fantastically wonderful time. No amount of pixie dust can make this change right.

Just imagine spending time doing your business in the 'hidden' Imagination restroom while listening to 1980s BGM.

Now ... that ... THAT is PURE MAGIC!:wave:

~When do the FP's for restrooms begin?~

DonaldDoleWhip

My statement was all encompassing of changes that are being made by management as of late at the resorts. Different changes create different inconveniences for different people. Go back and look at how many people were offended and upset by the change of monorails hours last year. Or how many people were put off by the new policy regarding dining guarantees. So no - by itself, the change in FP policy does not seem like a big deal (just throw them away if you miss your window) - but it is one of a number of changes coming down that is designed to keep guests on a schedule that is less than flexible, and at times, downright inconvenient.
Great post. All three of these changes have irritated me, some more than others. The monorail change has caused us to book cheaper, non-monorail resorts more often (such as WL and the non-Disney Swan). The ADR change has caused us to book less signature restaurants (because sometimes people in my party simply don't feel well enough to make an ADR, causing us to change plans at the last minute - we're not accepting the added insult to injury of an increased charge). And finally, this change. I'll be getting a few less fastpasses (or taking home more as souvenirs), but it's not the worst.

Collectively, though, I do feel like my vacation can no longer be as relaxing and spontaneous as it once was. And it's certainly changed our spending patterns.

WDW1974

Yeah, willfully obtuse. A reasonable amount of leeway is necessary, I suppose. But the (unwritten?) policy that a FP can be used anytime after the window opens seems like blatant disregard for how the system is supposedly designed. I just find it amusing that people are worked up because WDW is going to kinda run the system the way it is supposed to be run.

As long as I can steal Coke products, I'll be quite content! :drevil:

~Eli looks happier than Mickey!~

DonaldDoleWhip

Right above your search result.

http://www.laughingplace.com/files/Info/WDW/Guide/FastPass06.jpg

Ok class, let's read the first line together!
Wow, way to find a fastpass that's clearly way older than the one I posted, with yours missing the key new line added about early arrivals not being allowed.

CM's have always said it was fine. Now it won't be. But when I use my 9:55 FP at 9:50, I'll be following the rules. I guess that isn't so bad. :p

DonaldDoleWhip

Has Disney shared that FP policy with the general public? Is it on the FPs? Is it in the park maps? What is this, like some kind of speakeasy password where you have to be connected or a member of a Disney fan site to "take advantage" of the system? What a screwy way to do business.

Why was there a return window, at all, if the window wasn't going to be enforced? To dupe the suckers who don't have CM friends to tell them that they can use their FPs whenever? Awesome way to treat your guests who are unaware of this and hence at a disadvantage.
I don't have any CM friends in the real world. But sometimes a random CM in the parks is friendly and gives me tips, or I have a question and they answer it. And for the past 10 years or so, a cast member would have been happy to tell anyone that they could use their FP after the window.

Funny how communication works.

BigThunderMatt

What about this scenerio?

Arrive at Epcot at 10:30 am.

Fastpass 1- Sorin' 6-7 pm
Fastpass 2- Test Track 6:05 - 7:05 pm
Fastpass 3- Mission Space 5:50-6:650 pm

When do you go to Epcot? New Years Eve? If you arrive at the park that late on a major holiday you're officially SOL by virtue of your own stupidity to come in that late in the first place.

Thankfully, 99% of the time it isn't like that. Therefore, your scenario is moot.

menamechris

Ya...not my problem. Not my system. I didn't design it, and I am not a bigwig at Disney that makes those decisions. But it sounds like you have a bone to pick with them, because this is how it has been. Whether anyone thinks its a screwy way of doing business - well, that's Disney Parks for ya.

CoasterKing

When the FP idea was created, I assume the meeting went something like this: "We can create a FP line that allows guests to get a ticket to enter the ride at a later specified time. This allows the guest to do other things instead of waiting in line. We shall distribute x amount of FP tickets per hour so that the return times are evenly distributed throughout the day, causing no one hour to be more backed up then the next. The FP times will be clearly printed on the ticket for the guests to observe."

I don't think it went like this: "Hey, (snicker, snicker) I've got this FP idea that will allow guests to enter a ride at a later time so that they can do other things until their ride window is at hand. But, guess what (snicker, snicker) we'll print times on the FP that they need to use, but won't tell them on the ticket they can really come back anytime after their window. (whole board room laughing.) Who cares if that means it will cause potential ride line backups at the end of the day. The best part (snicker, snicker) is only people who try to use their FP after the window will find out we'll let them in anyway, while the majority of the people who follow the times will never know." (once again, execs rolling on the floor laughing)

The policy to allow late users probably came after implementation of the FP system and many CM's complained that guests were getting upset after missing their window and throwing tantrums making it very difficult on said CM's. So probably what was said, OK their will be very few people being late, so go ahead and let them in. We just won't make this publicly known.

Execs probably never envisioned once certain people found out, that they would actually intentionally "scam' or "game" the system. Now it seems they have realized this, and intend to enforce what they wanted to from day 1 to begin with.

Listen, it really works better for everyone when it is used as designed. Why do you think it was limited to a certain amount of FP per window? Because that would be most efficient if those windows were adhered to.

CoasterKing
:king:

JimboJones123

A big problem as well is going to be park zig-zagging. You could literally do 4-6 laps around a park to pick up and use your FPs. For those that fight NOT to use or abuse GACs, there may be more dependence on them. I know that we have two in our normal group that really have to.struggle to get a full day in. We try not to GAC, but if it means that we cannot do Splash and BTM or Buzz and SM in the same trip to that land, we will have to use the GAC more.

But seriously, when the FP schedule you have has you going back and forth 3-4 times..... it renders Fastpass pointless.

DonaldDoleWhip

Execs probably never envisioned once certain people found out, that they would actually intentionally "scam' or "game" the system. Now it seems they have realized this, and intend to enforce what they wanted to from day 1 to begin with.
You really underestimate executives. Managers probably knew about this even before CM's across property started sharing it as accepted policy. At some point, this was clarified internally, which is why so many people know to use FP's late. Not everyone found out on this website (I didn't).

It's the addition of X-Pass that has required a reevaluation of FP enforcement. Now, the policy's changing to match the needs of the new system. But for the past few years, arriving late was nothing to feel bad about (and in the future, arriving 5 minutes early will also be perfectly fine).

Rowdy

The policy to allow late users probably came after implementation of the FP system and many CM's complained that guests were getting upset after missing their window and throwing tantrums making it very difficult on said CM's. So probably what was said, OK their will be very few people being late, so go ahead and let them in. We just won't make this publicly known.

Grand post, I agree.

Plus, when told they could come back at a later time. I'm sure it was with intent that they were kept (food/ride break downs/parade/crowds) out side of the time window. Not, "hey, go get as many as you can and then an hour before closing hit all the rides you want!".

Overall, I agree CoasterKing. Nothing lost and everything gained with the system being used correctly now.

BrittanyRose428

Isn't there a few apps that tell you when the fastpass return times are though? And if you don't have a smart phone, theres usually a sign posted somewhere in the central area of the park saying the return times I thought?

-still not seeing how this is a huge issue- :shrug:

WDW1974

WOW!!! 13 pages and counting on FP AGAIN ... on 'news' most folks all knew was coming. This is the best thing to happen to this site since Lee and Martin were photographed jello-wrassling in princess swimsuits to determine which one was the true king of insiders here ... lucky for both of them that was in 2006 before I showed up!

Turning a bit (but not much because where would the fun be in that) more serious, but am I the only one here that wish Disney had one new way kewl attraction in every park that made getting a FP something that actually mattered?

~I got nothing~

fosse76

I'm sorry, but some of you are being ridiculous. It clearly states, BEFORE YOU EVEN GET YOPUR FP, what the return time is. If you cannot be back in that time frame, then get in the standby line and forego a FP. You aren't entitled to arrive late. It is a reservation system. If the return time is two or more hours away from the time you pick up the FP, then re-adjust you touring plan to accommodate the return time. If the return time is within an hour or so, that gives you two hours to get in line. The system wasn't developed for people to get a FP for Space Mountain and then trek over to Splash Mountain and BTMRR. It was developed so people could be spending money instead of standing in line. At least at the MK there is generally a lot to do in the area of the attractions with FP, so in my opinion that's what people should. And I'm sure they'll make exceptions for people who get stuck on a ride. But as far as I'm concerned, running late because of dining is too bad.

DonaldDoleWhip

Grand post, I agree.

Plus, when told they could come back at a later time. I'm sure it was with intent that they were kept (food/ride break downs/parade/crowds) out side of the time window. Not, "hey, go get as many as you can and then an hour before closing hit all the rides you want!".

Overall, I agree CoasterKing. Nothing lost and everything gained with the system being used correctly now.
I don't recall anyone here saying that's what they did. Just that sometimes it was convenient to use a fastpass late.

And obviously if you didn't use FP's late before, you wouldn't see anything as lost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom