Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

menamechris

Weren't - past tense.

I haven't said anything about what people HAVE done. I'm commenting on what people feel about having to do in the future. It's a rule now, they have to follow it. It's POLICY now. Deal with it.

It will be past tense - in March.

Scuttle

Ugh, yuck. :mad: There are just too many variables to always ensure you get back EXACTLY on time! Between longer-than-expected wait times on another attraction, a meal taking longer than expected, "comfort and necessity" breaks (you know what I mean), kid meltdowns, getting distracted in a shop, getting tied up in a long line, getting waylaid by crowds and parade routes (sometimes making navigation a challenge), etc., etc., etc. there are so many reasons you might not make it back on time.

Seriously unhappy people ahead. Myself included.

Agreed 100%. 15 minute grace period is a joke. It should atleast be 30.

Rasvar

I think the bigger hassle will be fore CM's when FP holders come back and the attraction is 101. Right now, they can just tell the guest to come back anytime later. I would guess if the go for strict enforcement, there will have to be a new way of distributing FP's for 101's.

DigginDisney

Sounds bad but actually will probably be awesome

I'm all for this policy. I'll admit that I am often late for my allotted time and I have taken advantage of the current policy. But this policy should help keep the regular lines at a regular length. I really think this will keep the lines at Toy Story and Soarin' under 90 minutes during regular crowd weeks. If you come during your allotted time then you won't have fast pass rushes, that back up the regular line. But we will have to see how that goes.

This is after all a free perk that WDW offers that Universal doesn't. If you don't make your time, then you don't make your time. It's not like you paid for it and didn't get it. You can still always use the regular line. Ya that stinks but it's like if you had an appointment at a restaurant and you were an hour late. You don't expect them to still seat you first.

I agree that 15 minutes is not enough time. It should be at least a 30 minute window after just because things do happen. They should maybe even start the policy with a grace period and then slowly get stricter with the time to ease people in.

The only other stipulation I have with the policy is that it is very hard to give people something, even a free something, and then take it away. I think at first this will cause a lot of headaches for both sides but eventually will make this whole fast pass process a lot smoother.

the-reason14

I agree. If I'm spending anywhere from 2k-6k, why would I expect to have anything done MY way...... :rolleyes:

Lol exactly. I'm sure this is just Disney trying to tighten the rules of fastpass so much that when they introduce this new "plan out your day with fastpass/xpass" crap that it will be so enticing that we'll pay extra for it. te ha!! Think again. I'm sure Disneyland will be a nice "home" for me someday.

disneyrcks

We have never used our Fastpass beyond the between times but that is because we never knew we could go late until I joined this forum. After that we had always just been around to do it right after the beginning time. I will be interested to see how this plays out because I think the average guest will make the transition well. The only problems I see arising are from folks who had used their Fastpasses after the stamped time (which was in line with their policy at the time).

TalkingHead

On the back of FP's, it's always said you can't use your FP early. It never specified about after. That's what the smaller words on the FP are for.

Here's a link to a pic: http://wdwuntangled.com/images/fpimager.jpg

Good point.

It also doesn't say that I can't beat other guests senseless in order to steal their FPs, so I guess that might be permitted, too?

Your comment is precisely what I mean by being willfully obtuse.

Let me gloss what you just said: "They didn't tell me I couldn't use the pass at my convenience, even thought the primary instruction says to use the FP during these appointed times. Therefore, I suppose I can use it anytime after the window opens, because the fine print doesn't say otherwise."

When you put it that way, yeah, I guess it does sound like you're scamming the system.

menamechris

I don't like it any more than the next guy but the park outgrew that mentality a long time ago. You can't have 16M+ guests a year and expect them all to do precisely as they want without a little bit of planning on their part.

I am a local - so I can go to the parks on a whim - but even I am baffled by how much planning and preparation has to go into a vacation to WDW now. I know people who have had to plan a year in advance. Even small, seemingly insignificant changes like this can making the planning all the more stressful. I can honestly say I am starting to pity those who have to put this much effort into what should be a relaxing and exciting vacation. Maybe one day the Type-A MBAs pulling the strings here will recognize that not everyone is like them. Some people just wanna have fun... There has to be a breaking point for people - and some have even stated they are reaching theirs in this thread. But again, I am just an observer to all this...

DonaldDoleWhip

Good point.

It also doesn't say that I can't beat other guests senseless in order to steal their FPs, so I guess that might be permitted, too?

Let me gloss what you just said: "They didn't tell me I couldn't use the pass at my convenience, even thought the primary instruction says to use the FP during these appointed times. Therefore, I suppose I can use it anytime after the window opens, because the fine print doesn't say otherwise."

When you put it that way, yeah, I guess it does sound like you're scamming the system.
There's no sense with you. CAST MEMBERS TOLD ME IT WAS PERFECTLY ACCEPTED. That caused me to more carefully look at the FP, and as you can clearly see, early arrivals were specifically forbidden. Late arrivals weren't (and were encouraged by CM's I spoke to). Nobody would ever say beating someone is okay. How despicable of you to even make a comparison like that.

Your straw man argument and senseless hyperbole really don't move this discussion forward at all.

TalkingHead

First of all, the new policy is currently written on the WDWMagic homepage. I won't provide the link, I'm sure you can find it. :)

Second of all, I don't think we're using the same "obtuse." The obtuse I know means simple-minded, thick, stupid, and slow (all valid definitions of obtuse). As such, I think it's much more obtuse to say "well, the little piece of paper says this. I guess I have to follow the directions on it exactly," when you already know that the official policy could allow some flexibility to your benefit (and the benefit of others).

Honestly, what works me up is when people imply I've been breaking the rule and have committed some atrocious sin that warrants my banning from Disney parks. I simply took the advice of several friendly cast members who explained that you can use a fastpass any time after the start time. That'll be changing. I'll accept it. I don't accept the rude comments that plenty here are making.

I responded to the obtuse thing elsewhere.

If the policy is you can use the FP 5 min early to 30 min late, that's fine. I get what the policy wa previously.

What sucks, though, is when the fine print doesn't specify that you can use the FP whenever suits you, and when the vast majority of guests are unaware that the unwritten policy is contrary to what is printed on the FP.

DonaldDoleWhip

I responded to the obtuse thing elsewhere.

If the policy is you can use the FP 5 min early to 30 min late, that's fine. I get what the policy wa previously.

What sucks, though, is when the fine print doesn't specify that you can use the FP whenever suits you, and when the vast majority of guests are unaware that the unwritten policy is contrary to what is printed on the FP.
Don't blame me for Disney not making the policy more clear. I'm not having it held against me that I abided by the old one and will still abide by the new one (5 minutes early and all).

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Not at all, Monty. You should not feel embarrassed or degraded because you have a medical condition that requires the use of the GAC. No one should. And I don't think that the majority of people would think you were "gaming" the system just because you look healthy.

Now there probably are some people who do abuse the GAC, but they have to live with that.

CoasterKing
:king:

:eek:

If you read my post carefully, I never mention myself. :animwink:

I am disabled. But there are a good number of members here on WDWMagic who know me better than that. Trust me when I say none of what was in that post directly pertains to me. I am almost impossible to embarrass or shame and I certainly don't give a, um... "heck" what others might think if I choose to use a GAC. I'm a very vocal advocate for disability rights in my community, my workplace, my Union and on a number of National disability advocacy groups here in Canada. But I have had the sad task of counseling many disabled people who have been verbally or physically abused by "upstanding citizens" who arbitrarily decided they were abusing the system. I've talked a few out of suicide they were so upset by it. Sadly, there have been a small number I couldn't talk out of it. The reality is it doesn't matter that the majority wouldn't think a person might be gaming the system, it only takes one arrogant buffoon...

Boy, talk about thread swerve! :lol:

You may all now return to your ranting for or against whatever it was you were for or against! :wave:

menamechris

So all those cast members who have told people they can come back after the return window should be fired?

Look - here's the deal - Disney has had it in their policy since FP began that you can use the FP after the stated hour window. This change has nothing to do with people "scamming" the system. It means a NEW system is coming in (this NextGen stuff). It is changing the way FP has to be handled. I get it. But you are way off-base suggesting that people have been breaking some sort of rule. Far from it. Disney's own internal FP policy literature (which has been posted on this site before) has clearly stated that people returning after the window are to be admitted to the attraction. If you have chosen to not take advantage, that's your prerogative. But there is no reason to suggest that others have been dishonest or wrong.

muteki

I am a local - so I can go to the parks on a whim - but even I am baffled by how much planning and preparation has to go into a vacation to WDW now. I know people who have had to plan a year in advance. Even small, seemingly insignificant changes like this can making the planning all the more stressful. I can honestly say I am starting to pity those who have to put this much effort into what should be a relaxing and exciting vacation. Maybe one day the Type-A MBAs pulling the strings here will recognize that not everyone is like them. Some people just wanna have fun... There has to be a breaking point for people - and some have even stated they are reaching theirs in this thread. But again, I am just an observer to all this...

It doesn't take an MBA, I said a "little" bit of planning. You don't even have to think about it until the day of, worst case, the day before. If you are stressing out over FP management you are doing it wrong.

If you get a FP in a given area of the park, you stay there until you use it. If the return time is a long way off, you go somewhere else or wait standby. If the return time is +- a dining reservation you go somewhere else or wait standby. It isn't rocket science.

You are going to have to put a *little* more thought into it now, but this is nowhere near the stress level of 6month+ dining reservations.

Don't blame me for Disney not making the policy more clear. I'm not having it held against me that I abided by the old one and will still abide by the new one (5 minutes early and all).

If everyone entering the park knew about the rule, any ride with a FP line after 8pm would have the standby line come to a screeching halt. The park knew that encouraging returning after the time frame would break the system and that is why they didn't advertise it. They only let people do it when they were directly asked to avoid confrontations.

TalkingHead

There's no sense with you. CAST MEMBERS TOLD ME IT WAS PERFECTLY ACCEPTED. That caused me to more carefully look at the FP, and as you can clearly see, early arrivals were specifically forbidden. Late arrivals weren't (and were encouraged by CM's I spoke to). Nobody would ever say beating someone is okay. How despicable of you to even make a comparison like that.

Your straw man argument and senseless hyperbole really don't move this discussion forward at all.

Donny, I know what CM policy is with regards FP return. I've worked FP return at the parks in the past. So no shouting is necessary.

My point is when you have weekly/monthly Disney fans who abuse the system, it puts "regular," uninformed guests at a disadvantage. (This could be said for the FP program in general, but that's another subject.)

It doesn't take a genius to see what the instruction on the front of the FP says. You want to quibble and say the fine print doesn't tell you when the FP expires. Okay...err...I guess you can take comfort in that for another month.

menamechris

It doesn't take an MBA, I said a "little" bit of planning. You don't even have to think about it until the day of, worst case, the day before. If you are stressing out over FP management you are doing it wrong.

If you get a FP in a given area of the park, you stay there until you use it. If the return time is a long way off, you go somewhere else or wait standby. If the return time is +- a dining reservation you go somewhere else or wait standby. It isn't rocket science.

You are going to have to put a *little* more thought into it now, but this is nowhere near the level of 6month+ dining reservations.

My statement was all encompassing of changes that are being made by management as of late at the resorts. Different changes create different inconveniences for different people. Go back and look at how many people were offended and upset by the change of monorails hours last year. Or how many people were put off by the new policy regarding dining guarantees. So no - by itself, the change in FP policy does not seem like a big deal (just throw them away if you miss your window) - but it is one of a number of changes coming down that is designed to keep guests on a schedule that is less than flexible, and at times, downright inconvenient.

Timekeeper

A FastPass is essentially a "reservation," right? Viewed from that perspective, we can better understand the widespread discomfort with enforcing the end-of-window times.

Most of us have made reservations for something at some point in our lifetime, and a lot of us deal with reservations on a regular basis. Well, we are conditioned by experience to generally understand that - when we have reservations - we are seldom accommodated early, but often accommodated late. Whether it's a hotel reservation, dining reservation, doctor's appointment, whatever, we are almost never "taken" early, but usually manage to be "taken" late.

When I arrive at a WDW restaurant with dining reservations, for example, and overhear other guests checking in around me, 9 out of 10 times, those guests state a reservation time which concludes that they have obviously arrived late. I have never seen a late guest turned away. Sure, they might have to wait a little bit longer than if they had been on time, but they are almost always accommodated.

Similarly, I'm sure that many of us have placed a phone call at some point or another to inform an establishment that we were running late. It's not because we didn't in good faith think that we could make the reservation - it's because that's life. ........and that's probably why Disney has made this accommodation for the past decade.

:cry:

WDW1974

I put "yes" only because indifferent wasn't an option. I've exploited the policy in the past, but I really don't care if it changes.

I am shocked that so many people are up in arms over this. If a FASTPASS return window enforcement policy is a real "problem" to you, life isn't too bad.

I haven't taken said poll ... and I am quite indifferent. Sorta how I feel about Alcatraz on FOX. I also exploited the policy, but you wouldn't expect less from an evil, vile Disney Spirit.:wave:

I would also agree about your second statement ... I think when people fight about FP return windowns democracy dies a little more!

DonaldDoleWhip

If everyone entering the park knew about the rule, any ride with a FP line after 8pm would have the standby line come to a screeching halt. The park knew that encouraging returning after the time frame would break the system and that is why they didn't advertise it. They only let people do it when they were directly asked to avoid confrontations.
Cast members encouraged it when I engaged in discussion with them. If their tone hadn't been so encouraging (or if they didn't bring it up in the first place), I never would've thought to try it.

Donny, I know what CM policy is with regards FP return. I've worked FP return at the parks in the past. So no shouting is necessary.

My point is when you have weekly/monthly Disney fans who abuse the system, it puts "regular," uninformed guests at a disadvantage. (This could be said for the FP program in general, but that's another subject.)

It doesn't take a genius to see what the instruction on the front of the FP says. You want to quibble and say the fine print doesn't tell you when the FP expires. Okay...err...I guess you can take comfort in that for another month.
Again, I feel no guilt in following the previous policy, and I'll feel no guilt in following the new one. If the person to my right doesn't know they can use a fastpass 5 minutes in advance, that's not my problem. But again, there's a lot of things that regular guests will have a disadvantage at. Maybe if they were more inquisitive and friendly with cast members, they wouldn't have those problems.

Have fun waiting for the exact time slot on your FP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom