Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

JimboJones123

What we seem to be trending here (and maybe it needs to be added to the poll) is that those upset with the change would rather Fastpass be eliminated alltogether. In fact, the changes kinds prove that a world without FP would be a better world.

At least cut FPs in half so that stand by lines actually move. When 8 minute lines for Pooh and Pan take 60+ minutes, the system is BROKEN!

I.would rather 25-40 minute Pan waits every time than 10 minute FP lines and 90 minute stand-by with 40 people in it.

fosse76

Isn't there a few apps that tell you when the fastpass return times are though? And if you don't have a smart phone, theres usually a sign posted somewhere in the central area of the park saying the return times I thought?

-still not seeing how this is a huge issue- :shrug:

I believe Touring Plans' app shows the return times for FP, as does Disney's official Verizon App.

DonaldDoleWhip

I'm sorry, but some of you are being ridiculous. It clearly states, BEFORE YOU EVEN GET YOPUR FP, what the return time is. If you cannot be back in that time frame, then get in the standby line and forego a FP. You aren't entitled to arrive late. It is a reservation system. If the return time is two or more hours away from the time you pick up the FP, then re-adjust you touring plan to accommodate the return time. If the return time is within an hour or so, that gives you two hours to get in line. The system wasn't developed for people to get a FP for Space Mountain and then trek over to Splash Mountain and BTMRR. It was developed so people could be spending money instead of standing in line. At least at the MK there is generally a lot to do in the area of the attractions with FP, so in my opinion that's what people should. And I'm sure they'll make exceptions for people who get stuck on a ride. But as far as I'm concerned, running late because of dining is too bad.
Ask a cast member from 1999 - March 6, 2012, and you'd be told otherwise. :lol:

KevinYee

My point is when you have weekly/monthly Disney fans who abuse the system, it puts "regular," uninformed guests at a disadvantage. (This could be said for the FP program in general, but that's another subject.)

I know I'm in the minority here, but if you ask me, that's EXACTLY the same subject.

First time visitors were always at a disadvantage to regulars because they were told "it didn't matter... use FP or not, it's up to you."

The reality is, not using FP meant going on 3-4 fewer rides per day. We've had a de facto class system in place for 12 years.

That's even WITHOUT the 'abuse' (as you call it) - which isn't really abuse when Disney endorsed the practice.

Is it abuse if you avoid the line with 10 people at the main entrance and go to the line with one person?

I would much rather that Disney do away with ALL ride reservations. I saw the problems back in 1999 on the very first gol'darned test of the system in 1999: http://www.wdwmagic.com/Other/fastpass/News/02Apr1999-Ride-Reservation-System.htm

menamechris

Turning a bit (but not much because where would the fun be in that) more serious, but am I the only one here that wish Disney had one new way kewl attraction in every park that made getting a FP something that actually mattered?

And that would increase capacity making FP even less of a necessity.

However, I have given up on any new attractions anytime soon (except what's coming in Fantasyland. The way things have been going, I would even be shocked if we got a new, buzzworthy attraction this decade. But that's just me...

fosse76

At least cut FPs in half so that stand by lines actually move. When 8 minute lines for Pooh and Pan take 60+ minutes, the system is BROKEN!

I.would rather 25-40 minute Pan waits every time than 10 minute FP lines and 90 minute stand-by with 40 people in it.

I agree. It's clear to me that Disney issues too many FPs. I've seen the FP lines rival some standby lines. If I have a FP, I shouldn't have to wait more than 10 minutes, considering FP holders are technically already waiting longer than someone who gets in the standby line (the difference is the FP holder isn't physically in line).

muteki

What we seem to be trending here (and maybe it needs to be added to the poll) is that those upset with the change would rather Fastpass be eliminated alltogether. In fact, the changes kinds prove that a world without FP would be a better world.

Enforcing return times should alleviate this. Cutting back on FP distribution could too, but I would rather see how well an strictly enforced system works before messing with it too much further.

There is the issue of FP and Pan/Pooh in general, but that horse died a long time ago.

CoasterKing

I don't recall anyone here saying that's what they did. Just that sometimes it was convenient to use a fastpass late.

And obviously if you didn't use FP's late before, you wouldn't see anything as lost.

Here's one example below and I have heard many more in previous threads.

I'll miss being able to stock up on FastPasses during the day and hitting everything in a row later on, but I suppose this new strict enforcement is for the better. We shall see!

CoasterKing
:king:

TalkingHead

That's even WITHOUT the 'abuse' (as you call it) - which isn't really abuse when Disney endorsed the practice.

Is it abuse if you avoid the line with 10 people at the main entrance and go to the line with one person?

Not really an appropriate analogy, since any guest can see there is a shorter line.

The nonexistent FP expiration time isn't publicized and consequently a lot of guests aren't aware of it.

But I'd fully endorse scrapping FP, even if it means I couldn't use my morning FPs at 8 p.m.

(I even remember when you were sorta expected to have an excuse for using a late FP. "I was on Test Track and it broke down" was always a golden one. Things must've changed over the past 6-7 years.)

DonaldDoleWhip

Oh really, maybe you should go back and read it. Because they certainly did.

But I have, multiple times. Welcome to the wonderful world of Space Mountain.
My apologies - I can't keep up with the whole thread.

And Space Mountain is always an absolute mess at night - the FP line is practically as long as standby. In retrospect, maybe I am a fan of this change if that won't be happening anymore. :D

TinkerBelle8878

Finally. This is the way it should have always been. I was surprised that they've let it go this long.

I know its probably harsh to all the FP horders but this at least makes it more fair all around. This was very likely the way the system was intended all along.

CoasterKing

I've seen the FP lines rival some standby lines. If I have a FP, I shouldn't have to wait more than 10 minutes.

Heard that!! I've stood in the FP line at Toy Story Midway Mania for 25 minutes at the end of the day before. And why do you think? Because of all the people waiting until the end of the day to use their expired FP's.

CoasterKing

the-reason14

Finally. This is the way it should have always been. I was surprised that they've let it go this long.

I know its probably harsh to all the FP horders but this at least makes it more fair all around. This was very likely the way the system was intended all along.

And is exactly how it should have been from the time fastpass was first introduced until now. They should have never let it run all these years this way just to change it.

DonaldDoleWhip

Heard that!! I've stood in the FP line at Toy Story Midway Mania for 25 minutes at the end of the day before. And why do you think? Because of all the people waiting until the end of the day to use their expired FP's.

CoasterKing
Well I can promise it wasn't me - I'd never waste a FP on TSM. Glad to hear it's still drawing everyone in, since it helps keep the lines for ToT and RnRC more manageable.

JimboJones123

CoasterKing

This is wrong. Most FP trips see a 20 minute wait. Heck, it is 15 from the glasses pick alone.

the-reason14

CoasterKing

Or it could be that the ride broke down for awhile. :shrug:

KevinYee

Enforcing return times should alleviate this. Cutting back on FP distribution could too, but I would rather see how well an strictly enforced system works before messing with it too much further.

My prediction is that April 2012 will look a lot like April 2011 in the standby line. The late return people is a great scapegoat until you think on a 'system' level.

If they didn't return at 3pm for a 3pm-4pm fastpass, then that means the 3pm standby line was moving fast! (and yes, it means the 9pm standby line was moving slowly)

If you enforce return times, you speed up the 9pm standby line... but slow down the 3pm standby line.

I'm not expecting a big difference on this count.

CoasterKing

I don't think Disney "endorses" or "encourages" the practice of late arrival as you and some others say. I never heard them yelling out at the FP machines, "HEY FOLKS, IGNORE THE TIMES ON YOUR FP TICKET, COME BACK ANYTIME YOU LIKE!"

I never heard them say that at the ride entrance either. I never heard them endorse it on Disney TV in your resort rooms. I never seen them endorse late arrival in any Disney publication that is made available to the public.

Disney "tolerates" the practice, nothing more. If you were to ask, I'll bet they would tell you they prefer the time windows to be observed, because the system would run more smoothly. But once again, to accomodate angry guests who were mad because they weren't being allowed to use FP even though their window was expired, they just let them ride anyway.

I can not believe in anyway shape or form that they "endorse" or "encourage" late arrival.

CoasterKing

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom