Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

TalkingHead

Too bad they're actually going to kinda start enforcing the rules. I can see how that would upset some people.

Is it too late to just scrap FP?

SAV

Fast Pass is an option, not a requirement. Life's about choices. Choose to use it, you have to follow the rules for it. Otherwise, choose stand-by that fits more into your schedule of dinner arrangements and what not. If you don't like the length of Stand-by, then don't go on the attraction or come back when it is to your liking.

If the time you get to the machine doesn't fit in with your schedule, don't get it. If it does, get it.

It's really not difficult to actually keep to the window on it. All phones have an alarm on them. Set the alarm a bit early. It goes off, decide what your next step is. Continue what you are doing or go to the attraction and use the FP.

It's neither here nor there that they are now enforcing it and didn't in the past. The current rule will be to come back within the window. If you choose to use FP, then you have to play by the new rules.

imperate

I like the idea of enforcement. In some respects, they need to set boundries. The time on the fastpass is surely based on some computer modeling to help balance the fastpass vs. standby flow. The delay in use surely ripples throughout the day, creating more congestion later.

There is an hour window. If you are unsure you can make it, go standby when you can. Personally, I would not allow the 15 min grace on the end time. Then someone is 17 min late and complains. Just print the allowed time, enforce it, and move on...

Tigger1988

I don't know if it's a scam, but it's being willfully obtuse when the ticket says "Return Anytime Between #:## - #:##."

Not when Disney has stated many times that it could be used UNTIL PARK CLOSING.

The people purposely ignoring this are the ones who are obtuse.

Dads 2 Boys

Fast Pass is an option, not a requirement. Life's about choices. Choose to use it, you have to follow the rules for it. Otherwise, choose stand-by that fits more into your schedule of dinner arrangements and what not. If you don't like the length of Stand-by, then don't go on the attraction or come back when it is to your liking.

If the time you get to the machine doesn't fit in with your schedule, don't get it. If it does, get it.

It's really not difficult to actually keep to the window on it. All phones have an alarm on them. Set the alarm a bit early. It goes off, decide what your next step is. Continue what you are doing or go to the attraction and use the FP.

It's neither here nor there that they are now enforcing it and didn't in the past. The current rule will be to come back within the window. If you choose to use FP, then you have to play by the new rules.

Exactly...couldn't have said it better.

TalkingHead

I put "yes" only because indifferent wasn't an option. I've exploited the policy in the past, but I really don't care if it changes.

I am shocked that so many people are up in arms over this. If a FASTPASS return window enforcement policy is a real "problem" to you, life isn't too bad.

What you don't understand is that Disney is now impinging on my ability to have a magical, memorable, fantastically wonderful time. No amount of pixie dust can make this change right.

DonaldDoleWhip

I don't know if it's a scam, but it's being willfully obtuse when the ticket says "Return Anytime Between #:## - #:##."
Obtuse?! Seriously? As I posted above, even the new policy still allows some leeway - not only can you use your FP a few minutes late, but also early, which was never allowed before. I think the obtuse ones are the people who refuse to use the leeway that Disney has kindly bestowed, instead righteously insisting that you have to use it in the exact time frame specified. If it makes you feel tingly inside, then keep doing it.

I actually agree that it would be a lot simpler for the official policy to become within the exact window. But if I show up to Space Mountain a few minutes early, I'm not going to feel any guilt in the fact that their new policy allows me to use my FP 5 minutes early.

poocher

Law of unintended consequences

I hope they've thought this through. The law of unintended consequences is pretty powerful. Creating FPs moved folks out of long, boring waits for attractions, and put those folks into the shops and to less popular attractions. That was pretty good. The system created short queues of folks waiting for their FP to become valid.

Enforcing the time limits will create a new queue at the FP machines waiting for the right timeslot to be available and probably a longer queue waiting for the FP to become valid (longer because the penalty for missing is severe and so wasting time is better than missing the opportunity). So more time lost.

And how many days will it take before someone writes an ap for their phone so that folks can post and swap FPs for more convenient ones? And the folks who have a few minutes to kill will pick up FPs they don't want just to have "trade goods"? And the folks without smartphones will legitmately feel they are at a disadvantage.

Maybe something different will occur, my crystal ball is cloudy. But Disney is a bunch of fools if they don't think the guests will react to this change. All you ap writers out there---here's a fresh set of opportunities.

Principle of physics: for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

A nice, local example of not thinking things through: we have an idiot for a governor here in FL (tried to turn state parks into golf courses, etc.) but his recent effort (now quashed) was to save the state millions of dollars by drug testing welfare recipients and cutting off those who failed. He was surprised to find only 2% failed the test and testing saved very little money. The drug testing was expensive and the net savings to the state? Nothing. It cost $200,000 more than they saved. Just didn't think it through. Relied on his stereotypes.

TalkingHead

Oh, it says that on the FP ticket? (Honest question -- does it?)

Because the only thing that comes to mind when I think of a FP ticket is the instruction to use it between #:## and #:##.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
and that's why they have GAC's.

Quite true, but there's a dark side to using a GAC. For one it advertises that the holder has some form of mental or physical issue for which they "need" assistance, which can be considered embarrassing or degrading depending on the person. Another more significant issue is the treatment you receive from other guests when as a "by all outward appearances hale and hearty" user of a GAC, they assume that you're "gaming" the system.

The able-bodied tend to assume that because there is a large card you can flash around to get "special treatment" the holder is either pitiable or warrants disdain depending entirely on the beholder's "opinion" of the validity of its issue.

Would you knowingly subject yourself to either end of that spectrum if a simple tool like an FP and an adaptation of one's own expectations negates it?

TalkingHead

Obtuse?! Seriously? As I posted above, even the new policy still allows some leeway - not only can you use your FP a few minutes late, but also early, which was never allowed before. I think the obtuse ones are the people who refuse to use the leeway that Disney has kindly bestowed, instead righteously insisting that you have to use it in the exact time frame specified. If it makes you feel tingly inside, then keep doing it.

I actually agree that it would be a lot simpler for the official policy to become within the exact window. But if I show up to Space Mountain a few minutes early, I'm not going to feel any guilt in the fact that their new policy allows me to use my FP 5 minutes early.

Yeah, willfully obtuse. A reasonable amount of leeway is necessary, I suppose. But the (unwritten?) policy that a FP can be used anytime after the window opens seems like blatant disregard for how the system is supposedly designed. I just find it amusing that people are worked up because WDW is going to kinda run the system the way it is supposed to be run.

muteki

Oh, it says that on the FP ticket? (Honest question -- does it?)

Because the only thing that comes to mind when I think of a FP ticket is the instruction to use it between #:## and #:##.

Where was this "stated"? Was it written on the back of a FP? In the park map that tells you how FP works?

Maybe that can be Disney's marketing campaign for 2013.

I don't like it any more than the next guy but the park outgrew that mentality a long time ago. You can't have 16M+ guests a year and expect them all to do precisely as they want without a little bit of planning on their part.

mickey2008.1

This whole next gen thing sounds like you really have to plan your trip to a T. Make Adrs 90 days, get Fps 90 days out. If you dont do both, you can have a 50/50 chance of getting a FP at the park, but it may interfere with your ADR or other FP you ordered 90 days in advance. We only go during slow times, and it's hard to get ADRS, let alone FP's for TSSM and other attractions at the parks. Now add in Advance FP's, no chance of freedom, just do what WDW gives you. We always stuck close to the window, but did arrive late sometimes which helped out. Now, "sorry pal, you shouldnt have been in our gift shop spending money at our park if you wanted to ride this attraction, you are late, no exceptions" Can't wait to hear the reports in March, especially since it will be one of the most busiest times of the year, Happy Easter!

Rasvar

I'll add one more thing, they need to do this at Disneyland before they do it at WDW. Fastpass lines get insanely long there in the reason because of the pass hoarding.

As far as worrying about what is written, it is always about how something is enforced. If the speed limit is 45 but not enforced until 55, you are going to have a lot of people driving 55. Sure, a lot will also go 45 to follow the rule. But in Florida, you can't even be legally pulled over for speeding only if you are going only 5 MPH or less over the speed limit (except school and construction zones). The sign does not say it but that is the way the rule is. Sign says 45 but you can go 50 with impunity. Fastpass has been much the same way.

Like I said, I will use the system as it works best. If the rules change, I will adapt to the new rules to make it work for me. As it is right now, the unwritten rules allow a lot of gaming of the system and if you aren't doing it, you are only slowing yourself down. I've never really been a fan of Faspass but I see its use for Disney. If they are going to enforce it, they just need to be consistent. I will use it as it is enforced.

DonaldDoleWhip

Yeah, willfully obtuse. A reasonable amount of leeway is necessary, I suppose. But the (unwritten?) policy that a FP can be used anytime after the window opens seems like blatant disregard for how the system is supposedly designed. I just find it amusing that people are worked up because WDW is going to kinda run the system the way it is supposed to be run.
First of all, the new policy is currently written on the WDWMagic homepage. I won't provide the link, I'm sure you can find it. :)

Second of all, I don't think we're using the same "obtuse." The obtuse I know means simple-minded, thick, stupid, and slow (all valid definitions of obtuse). As such, I think it's much more obtuse to say "well, the little piece of paper says this. I guess I have to follow the directions on it exactly," when you already know that the official policy could allow some flexibility to your benefit (and the benefit of others).

Honestly, what works me up is when people imply I've been breaking the rule and have committed some atrocious sin that warrants my banning from Disney parks. I simply took the advice of several friendly cast members who explained that you can use a fastpass any time after the start time. That'll be changing. I'll accept it. I don't accept the rude comments that plenty here are making.

CoasterKing

Quite true, but there's a dark side to using a GAC. For one it advertises that the holder has some form of mental or physical issue for which they "need" assistance, which can be considered embarrassing or degrading depending on the person. Another more significant issue is the treatment you receive from other guests when as a "by all outward appearances hale and hearty" user of a GAC, they assume that you're "gaming" the system.

The able-bodied tend to assume that because there is a large card you can flash around to get "special treatment" the holder is either pitiable or warrants disdain depending entirely on the beholder's "opinion" of the validity of its issue.

Would you knowingly subject yourself to either end of that spectrum if a simple tool like an FP and an adaptation of one's own expectations negates it?

Not at all, Monty. You should not feel embarrassed or degraded because you have a medical condition that requires the use of the GAC. No one should. And I don't think that the majority of people would think you were "gaming" the system just because you look healthy.

Now there probably are some people who do abuse the GAC, but they have to live with that.

CoasterKing
:king:

BrittanyRose428

I really never understood the issue with this. My family and I had never thought to use fastpasses later than what the return window said. I actually never even knew you could do that until joining this site.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom