News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

HMF

the whole 2007 redo needs a redo. I can't believe its been ten years since that mess. I'll never forget how vocal these boards were about it, pages and pages went on and on. Talk about passion for something. but then were all very passionate people here. :)
Again, according to Martin's reports it looks like the 07 version will beat the 94 version's record of longest running version of SSE. I will let that sink in. Frankly I am amazed Bob Zalk is still with the company after that. Does anyone know if Orin Shively was fired after the JIYI fiasco.

Haymarket2008

the whole 2007 redo needs a redo. I can't believe its been ten years since that mess. I'll never forget how vocal these boards were about it, pages and pages went on and on. Talk about passion for something. but then were all very passionate people here. :)

A lot of positive things came from the 2007 redo, but dear lord, they took away SO much. That thing was neutered. The glorious '94 version haunts me to this day!

HMF

A lot of positive things came from the 2007 redo, but dear lord, they took away SO much. That thing was neutered. The glorious '94 version haunts me to this day!
Positives
*Dawn of Man projection
*Major AA Enhancements
*New costumes for Egyptians
*Glowing Electric wires in 20th Century scene
*1969 Moon Landing Scene,
*Mainframe computer scene
*Steve Wozniak in garage scene
*Room of infinite Blue lights
Negatives
*Loss of time tunnel for photography gimmick
*Judi Dench Narration
*Loss of Roman Chariot
*Loss of clarity about what is happening in burning scene
*Renaissance Sculpture Censorship
*Paper boy talking to wall
*1982 Beatles album in 1969 Television Scene.
*Why is a computer scientist dressed like a go-go dancer?
*The descent

Personal nitpicks (not deal breakers)
*Score not as powerful and uplifting as 94 Version
*Missing Egyptian on scaffold painting hieroglyphics
*Greek Math Scene- I am personally more of a fan of the arts than mathematics.
*too many pointless props in Roman Scene.
*One of the Islamic Scholars Turbans looks like a giant onion.
*Alleluia Chorus in Renaissance is a bit over the top.
*Woman reading newspaper in ticket booth.
*Three cinema screens reduced to one.
*The Matrix effect is glitchy and not as good as what it replaced.
That's 8 positives, 9 negatives and 9 nitpicks.

jmuboy

Positives
*Dawn of Man projection
*Major AA Enhancements
*New costumes for Egyptians
*Glowing Electric wires in 20th Century scene
*1969 Moon Landing Scene,
*Mainframe computer scene
*Steve Wozniak in garage scene
*Room of infinite Blue lights
Negatives
*Loss of time tunnel for photography gimmick
*Judi Dench Narration
*Loss of Roman Chariot
*Loss of clarity about what is happening in burning scene
*Renaissance Sculpture Censorship
*Paper boy talking to wall
*1982 Beatles album in 1969 Television Scene.
*Why is a computer scientist dressed like a go-go dancer?
*The descent

Personal nitpicks (not deal breakers)
*Score not as powerful and uplifting as 94 Version
*Missing Egyptian on scaffold painting hieroglyphics
*Greek Math Scene- I am personally more of a fan of the arts than mathematics.
*too many pointless props in Roman Scene.
*One of the Islamic Scholars Turbans looks like a giant onion.
*Alleluia Chorus in Renaissance is a bit over the top.
*Woman reading newspaper in ticket booth.
*Three cinema screens reduced to one.
*The Matrix effect is glitchy and not as good as what it replaced.
That's 8 positives, 9 negatives and 9 nitpicks.

I blame the Phoenicians.....just saying.

HMF

Judi Dench gets way to much hate. The only problem with her part is the script not her.
I agree, If given a good script, she would be fantastic. What's even more puzzling is that Pam Fisher who wrote the script also wrote the script for the Obama incarnation of the Hall of Presidents, which (aside from it's hero-worship of Andrew Jackson) is far more straightforward and serious and doesn't treat the audience like idiots the way her Spaceship Earth script does.

FigmentForver96

I agree, If given a good script, she would be fantastic. What's even more puzzling is that Pam Fisher who wrote the script also wrote the script for the Obama incarnation of the Hall of Presidents, which (aside from it's hero-worship of Andrew Jackson) is far more straightforward and serious and doesn't treat the audience like idiots the way her Spaceship Earth script does.
That is the problem, how the script almost speaks down as if people are just to stupid to even get it.

HMF

That is the problem, how the script almost speaks down as if people are just to stupid to even get it.
Disney's opinions of their guests intelligence seems to get lower every year. The jury is out on whether people actually are dumber today than in the past or if they have been conditioned to be dumber by dumbed-down media, I personally think the latter but given recent developments I am not so sure.

RoysCabin

Part of what I felt a bit bad about with the '07 SSE refurb was that it was no longer clearly the "Communications Pavilion" anymore, given that the Siemens sponsorship meant the focus would more be on general technological advancements over time. That's probably why we lost the theater scene in ancient Greece.

Still, I made sure to ride it more than once last time I was there, if just because it's so hard to find an experience like that in Disney, or at least EPCOT, very often anymore.

HMF

They aren't blacked out. If you look around behind the clamshell during the finale scene, there are blue windows behind you.
Yeah, In that one scene. The ride used to make you feel like you were surrounded by oceanic life. Now it's just lets find Nemo again on projection screens.

HMF

Part of what I felt a bit bad about with the '07 SSE refurb was that it was no longer clearly the "Communications Pavilion" anymore, given that the Siemens sponsorship meant the focus would more be on general technological advancements over time. That's probably why we lost the theater scene in ancient Greece.

Still, I made sure to ride it more than once last time I was there, if just because it's so hard to find an experience like that in Disney, or at least EPCOT, very often anymore.
It is still mostly about communications.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Well, it had to "speak" to modern audiences, who are too stupid to know what the world was like before the World Wide Web, or that copying texts 2000 years ago could be considered "the world's first backup network". :banghead: I think I lost a few brain cells because of those the first time I rode after the 2007 refurb (and I did plenty of losing brain cells on my own back in my 20's, so I need as many as I can get these days!), they were just so insulting of my intelligence.

SirLink

Well, it had to "speak" to modern audiences, who are too stupid to know what the world was like before the World Wide Web, or that copying texts 2000 years ago could be considered "the world's first backup network". :banghead: I think I lost a few brain cells because of those the first time I rode after the 2007 refurb (and I did plenty of losing brain cells on my own back in my 20's, so I need as many as I can get these days!), they were just so insulting of my intelligence.

Well not naming names but some in a management capacity in Disney think just like that...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom