News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

spresso81

Oh it's definitely an ”E”.

I think this is great news. The Energy pavilion has become quite stale and a high quality E ride will be welcome.

If we can get a ride in the Wonders pavilion, that is more then just a single ride but which incorporates health and some IP it is way better than an empty gold semi-circle and a huge win for Future.... or dare I say DiscoveryWorld!

Thanks Marni

P_Radden

I think this is great news. The Energy pavilion has become quite stale and a high quality E ride will be welcome.

If we can get a ride in the Wonders pavilion, that is more then just a single ride but which incorporates health and some IP it is way better than an empty gold semi-circle and a huge win for Future.... or dare I say DiscoveryWorld!

Thanks Marni
Signed up in 2004 and this is your fist post!?!?! Dang son!

yellowrocket

Here's to the Future was 1975, We've Come so Far 1985 with RYCA-1.

Both had lyrics. Indeed, Foxxy recently posted a holy grail - WCSF in full including the elusive instrumental part.

I still remember getting extremely giddy when I saw all of the "We've Come So Far" options on the old Walt Disney World Forever kiosks.

clemmo

I don't really see why more GOTG would be necessary as a phase two if were getting a ride and show as phase one. Hopefully some other rides/attractions non GOTG related will come as part of this. Even though it destroys the theming of FW it's still a much needed upgrade to some dead space. Hopefully they'll approve something for WS to spread the crowds all the way to the back of the park and not just from FW to Norway. As much as we all complain about WDW being stale and not enough getting approved location and ip's aside there seems to be a lot approved and rumored for the world, its great to see the domestic parks get some love

chiefs11

They won't be finishing all this work for awhile. I would imagine they'd want the new attractions under way before starting cosmetics. Don't the tombstones have to stay a bit longer? Was it 20 years?
I thought the tombstones could be moved as long as they are still around.. They probably can't be completely destroyed until the time frame is up though. Perhaps they'll just move them to a wall over near the tram station or something....or even better, would it count as still being in the park if they use them to fill in a sink hole?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
All that being said, I'm exited for a GOTG E-Ticket. It's one of my favorite movies of the last few years, and there is massive potential for a number of different types of attractions

So at this point, let's just take Future World and turn it into IP World/MK South and maybe some other theme park company with big ideas can make their own futuristic theme park eventually

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I thought the tombstones could be moved as long as they are still around.. They probably can't be completely destroyed until the time frame is up though. Perhaps they'll just move them to a wall over near the tram station or something....or even better, would it count as still being in the park if they use them to fill in a sink hole?

"Agreeing that the image and/or sculpture may be replaced or relocated within Walt Disney World at any time, and that the image may be permanently removed on or after the twentieth anniversary of its installation. "

http://www.passporter.com/wdw/leavealegacy.htm

baymenxpac

so here's the thing:

i hate that the epcot center i fell in love with is no more. i have the freakin' horizons logo tattooed on my arm, so that should be enough to tell you where i stand on what's become of future world in the past decade. and i hate IP invading epcot. it's lazy, and it speaks to just how much of an egomaniac bob iger is.

that said, i'll begrudgingly welcome something new at epcot. much like @marni1971, i'll try to stay optimistic and cling to past memories. at least this sounds like a significant investment that makes that park relevant again, if soul-less.

aladdin2007

so here's the thing:

i hate that the epcot center i fell in love with is no more. i have the freakin' horizons logo tattooed on my arm, so that should be enough to tell you where i stand on what's become of future world in the past decade. and i hate IP invading epcot. it's lazy, and it speaks to just how much of an egomaniac bob iger is.

that said, i'll begrudgingly welcome something new at epcot. much like @marni1971, i'll try to stay optimistic and cling to past memories. at least this sounds like a significant investment that makes that park relevant again, if soul-less.

wow gotta say thats pretty awesome!

Brad Bishop

so here's the thing:

I get what you're saying.. It sucks, though. It's like if they said, "We're going to make Future World a traditional amusement park," I think people, overall, would feel about the same.. At least they'd be doing *something* even it it was to make it a nice Six Flags.

It just sucks to me that is where we are and we're here because the powers that be at Disney ignored the park for so long so anything seems like an improvement.

I even get the idea of, "old Epcot wasn't working," to a certain extent.

I've also wondered where people are with this. Some have already had enough and have given up and others love Epcot no matter what.

I actually thought it might be a fun thought experiment to ask: Take Epcot and now imagine that TWDC closes your least favorite attraction and raises prices some percentage (you can even pick the percentage), now, do you still go? Repeat.
- At what point do you say, "Ok, it sucks."

The other thing I've wondered is have we all just given up on themes? I say this because theme-encrouchment isn't new. I think you could go back to Splash Mountain and make a strong argument that it doesn't belong where it is (not sure where else would be better) but they seemed to kind of make it work. Tomorrowland has been hosed for a decade plus. Frozen is now a "country" (well, ride within a country but you get what I mean). What if they add, "The Daring Adventures of Pinocchio," to Italy? What if they put the old Snow White ride in Germany? Maybe they could put a Pooh ride in the UK or maybe Mary Poppins could take you on an adventure there?

My main thought on this is that, in the beginning, themes were important and they tried to stay true to the themes. Over time, and it's really not all that recent, they kind of fudged it and I'd argue that now we're basically abandoning the themes in favor of getting anything.

I see the GotG stuff and I think, "This would have made a great addition to DHS!" I see Pandora and think (well, first I don't think it's a strong IP - but secondly), "It would have been great in DHS!" There's a park for IPs which don't fit into MK and that's DHS. Now DHS is going to be, from what I can tell, a kind of weak Toy Story Land and Star Wars Experience (hopefully not weak).

All of this really goes back to the core of: Management didn't invest in the parks and, worse, doesn't seem to understand the uniqueness of the parks they have and are further doing damage by just ignoring the themes altogether. If Buzz Lightyear belongs in Tomorrowland then you can make a pretty good argument that he belongs in Fantasyland and, if you just buddy him up with Woody, now you can put him in Frontierland and now think about it: Buzz Lightyear (a space toy) is in Frontierland - it's OK because he's partnered with Woody and at least it's something.

I'm not knocking anyone here for this or that you feel something is better than nothing. I'm just saying that one of the important things that made this parks unique is being ignored and destroyed and we end up with this hodge-podge theming with Monsters Inc in Tomorrowland and Frozen in World Showcase.

You could put the new Tron Coaster in DAK at this point and I don't think management would get why it doesn't fit and I think others would say, "Well at least it's something..." (kind of defeated).

I just think that a few generations of bad execs are really doing some long-term damage and you can see it in people's defeated reactions. You still have leftovers from Eisner with, "People want to ride the movies!" and it's largely what we get these days. Not neat innovations but the next movie ride.

clemmo

Any word as to potential attractions/rides not having to do with the GOTG up? Also thanks everyone on here for all the info everyone really appreciates it and that's why this site has probably the most up to date Disney news!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom