News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

chiefs11

If I had to guess, it went like this:

DHS has a capacity issue and cannot afford further downtime. Further, it already has almost $3 bn in new content coming over the next 5 years.

Epcot is in dire state, needs help, and has buildings that can hold a handful of new or updated attractions. Plus, while its current content is stale, the park can certainly limp along for a bit while UoE is closed. So why give the updated overlay to DHS for relatively little bang for your buck (RnRC is popular as-is) when you can add new content at Epcot, make the park feel fresh for the next 10 years, and restore balance between the parks.

At the end of the day, all four parks in 2021 will be stronger than they were in 2011, and that's a good thing. If we can move past our concerns over breaking with theme, since that just seems to be how Disney plans to run its parks going forward (not that it is okay; it's just the [Disney] world we live in), they actually have fun and impressive new content arriving at all four parks.

Epcot will never be grandiose and awe-inspiring like it was in the 80s, but it will certainly return to being a world-class theme park (perhaps with a necessary change in some of its naming).
I'm sure you are probably right about the line of thought. I look forward to seeing what the new ride(s) look like, and Ellen definitely has to go. Like I said, I don't see how it really fits in either area anyway so that's kind of a wash to me.

I still think a RnRC->GotG overlay would have been fairly quick and easy though... it certainly couldn't take as long as FEA did. Replace all the static props in the ride building, new coaster trains with a spaceship theme, add the music from the mix-tape, a new preshow featuring the guardians on the other side of the glass (maybe in their space ship or something), and some exterior re-themeing. Easy-Peasy. lol :p I get they can't really take anything else at the Studios offline, but if they'd get the butt in gear on TSL they could do this immediately after that opens, and if they pushed, it could probably be done 6 months for what they'd need to do. The hardest part would be the new pre-show, and they could be working on that now for a drop in replacement.

I guess that's neither here nor there now, though.... so i'll just be looking forward to Ellen's replacement. :)

WildcatDen

Now it's out I can speak a bit more freely about it.

Say your goodbyes to Ellen. And the travelling theatre I'm afraid.

IF phase two is approved the whole corner will become a GotG based area.
I am hearing they want this in time for the 50th. That ring true with what you are hearing?

Of course, I had not heard it was GOTG, just EPCOT's portion of the pie and potential location.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Problem is, they never seem to get to Phase 2...the crowds come for Phase 1 and they cash the checks and never complete it further...there are so many amazing Phase2 plans...none have seen the light of day.
I'd be the first to agree. But this would be a much needed proposal (their plans) to do something with Wonders.

And you know my love for EPCOT Center. I'm trying to be optimistic with what I've seen and to treasure the memories.

Mike S

I'd be the first to agree. But this would be a much needed proposal (their plans) to do something with Wonders.

And you know my love for EPCOT Center. I'm trying to be optimistic with what I've seen and to treasure the memories.
I think some of us here will be right in that boat with you. It's just a tough pill to swallow. I appreciate all the info you're able to give on this.

Bocabear

Actually you are one of the few people that really get the genius of what they built there... and the fact that you are not imploding with the thought gives me a little hope...but it still seems devastating to think of them putting a movie IP into this park... You have more information than I do, so I will try to just settle on the fact that it will add another attraction ( though once again it is taking one away to do that) and hopefully the increased gate clicks will spur them on to do a little more...

clemmo

Hopefully phase 2 is not more GOTG and can address imagination as imo that's one of the least popular and least visited pavilions not to mention the ride can be annoying. Really wondering what is in store for innoventions though as that's another dead space

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hopefully phase 2 is not more GOTG and can address imagination as imo that's one of the least popular and least visited pavilions not to mention the ride can be annoying. Really wondering what is in store for innoventions though as that's another dead space
As it stands I believe the west side of FW is not a priority for anything major at the moment. Unless the Imag plans jump the queue.

P_Radden

As it stands I believe the west side of FW is not a priority for anything major at the moment. Unless the Imag plans jump the queue.
So let's recap.

• Energy is getting a GotG overhaul, it has been green lit.
  • Wonders might get a GotG phase 2, not yet green lit..
  • Communicore (outside of mouse gear and starbucks, possibly club cool) will be updated/overhauled, green lit.
  • Mission Space will get a refurb/update, green lit.
  • There are plans for Imagination, but not green lit.
  • Land will remain as is
  • Seas will remain as is
  • Test Track will remain as is
  • Space Ship Earth will remain as is
Please correct me if I got any of this wrong.

ToTBellHop

So let's recap.

• Energy is getting a GotG overhaul, it has been green lit.
  • Wonders might get a GotG phase 2, not yet green lit..
  • Communicore (outside of mouse gear and starbucks, possibly club cool) will be updated/overhauled, green lit.
  • Mission Space will get a refurb/update, green lit.
  • There are plans for Imagination, but not green lit.
  • Land will remain as is
  • Seas will remain as is
  • Test Track will remain as is
  • Space Ship Earth will remain as is
Please correct me if I got any of this wrong.
We also get an improved and de-cemeteried entrance and lose the dreadful tarps-over-concrete look to Innoventions Plaza.

Don't expect too much for SPACE. More dramatic changes were proposed but left behind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom