News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Virtual Toad

I don't like the excuse that it will be decorated for festivals. No, they shouldn't need to rely on that to give the space some theme. We have no festival for months now until Food and Wine. The space should not look like a generic expo hall or airport for that long.

The concept art with rainbow Figment statue, and color, and texture, and carpeting, is 100% better than what we got, and still could have been gussied up for festivals. There are things to look at. There is theming. If people keep excusing away this objectively bad design decisions we will just keep getting them.

It's not even an issue of whether the space looks "nice" or not, it's that for Disney's premium pricing we need to expect and demand more.
Absolutely this! Don't remember seeing that concept art before, but that totally exudes the Epcot aesthetic. Warm, inviting, imaginative and fantastical, as opposed to sparse, bland, cold, and commonplace. You're right: guests should expect and demand more.

CntrlFlPete

people seemed to spend time enjoying the new entertainment this afternoon...at least there was more than the dozen or so that the concept art showed.

morethan.jpg

McMickeyWorld

I like the exterior of the new building, but I much preferred the previous design. The new one isn't bad, but... meh. I wonder if this building was designed by the architectural agency that was commissioned for the original idea.

I misjudged the building's size; I expected the flexible space to be more than just the hallway. I understand there isn't a festival, but that doesn't justify the space being unused. If Colombian food options and the band are being offered, why not include something about Colombia or at least about "Encanto"? For example, when "Coco" was released, they set up an exhibition here in Mexico about the connection between Mexico and Disney. I think something similar could be done until there's a festival or at least an exhibition about Epcot's history. This might be a bit controversial, but since we are in Pride Month, a good option would be a small LGBT+ art exhibit. Something that isn't political and is simply cute. The pieces wouldn't even have to be worth thousands of dollars (Disney could commission pieces from independent artists, and it could even be something international). After all, if it is "World Celebration," I think it would fit quite well, and something artistic is perfect for Epcot's educational concept.

There are people who know more about this, but isn't another food option a bit unnecessary? Were the supposed food stands that were to be placed next to the stage completed, or did we just misread the plans? I also expected the kitchen and bar area to be more interactive, not just a sales point. The bathrooms feel so disconnected from the design.

Sir_Cliff

I don't like the excuse that it will be decorated for festivals. No, they shouldn't need to rely on that to give the space some theme. We have no festival for months now until Food and Wine. The space should not look like a generic expo hall or airport for that long.
What are their plans for it between festivals? Is it going to be closed or just function as an air-conditioned, indoor corridor?

I don't really have a strong opinion one way or another about how this space looks, but if it is basically not in-use between festivals then I find it hard to get annoyed that it is more or less a big empty space during those times.

UNCgolf

I just don’t understand the need for Communicore Hall. There’s literally the Odyssey building just across the park that functions the same way and the World Showplace tent is there for special occasions too.

It would be nice if Communicore Hall meant they'd eliminate the World Showplace tent and use that for a new country (or even just a substantial ride for the UK, like a great Mary Poppins dark ride), but I don't see that happening.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I just don’t understand the need for Communicore Hall. There’s literally the Odyssey building just across the park that functions the same way and the World Showplace tent is there for special occasions too.
You need enough flex space to use it to lure guests to spend money as well as set aside other flex space for private parties that you charge big bucks for.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It would be nice if Communicore Hall meant they'd eliminate the World Showplace tent and use that for a new country (or even just a substantial ride for the UK, like a great Mary Poppins dark ride), but I don't see that happening.
There are still plenty of empty pads around World Showcase for new pavilions and/or rides before needing to raze existing structures.

Remember: don't replace, *add.* Right? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom