News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Sir_Cliff

Well lets at least compare concept art, because reality isn't the way it appears in marketing art.

Epcot_Full_47338.jpg

Epcot_Full_47310.jpg
I feel that my mind is less blown by the concept art for Celestial Park than most people's on here seems to be.

It looks like it could be nice, but I don't look at the concept art and think "If only Epcot's central spine could be more like that" or that Universal has developed some kind of next level version of the park hub. It seems more like a potentially improved version of what Disney tried with Gardens of Imagination at SDL, with the caveat that it has a big hotel as the focal point.

There are plenty of issues with the redevelopment of the central spine, and I can understand why the inclusion of fountains in one and replacement of an impressive fountain with nothing much invites some comparison. I am generally pleased that they went for a more restrained aesthetic approach than a lot of the stuff people seem to want from the Celestial Park plans such as kinetics provided by the new attractions, however.

Chef idea Mickey`=

It seems the current (employeees) who worked on JOW vs the ones that did World Celebration Gardens were not the same and totally opposite when working on a disney project. One was still a disney parks magical experience, the other is not, it's not even Epcot or Disney to me. I'm embracing JOW vibes a tranquil spot just like Japan pavilion gardens by the koi pond. Luckily we have that. They might as well use the space for all the art booths for Festival of The Arts... having the art booths around the countries is ugly to me, it's not like they had paintings from those countries. Now they have no excuse not to have a parade because of World Showcase festival crowds...let it Tapestry of Nations around World Celebration lol...

Last edited:

Vinnie Mac

It seems the current (employeees) who worked on JOW vs the ones that did World Celebration Gardens were not the same and totally opposite when working on a disney project. One was still a disney parks magical experience, the other is not, it's not even Epcot or Disney to me.
My biggest issue with the Epcot transformation is the lack of consistency in quality. You have some additions that respect the original Epcot spirit (and even add to it in its own way) like the SSE points of light, Space 220, or even JOW. Meanwhile there are the other additions that are just... okay like the WC hub.

Chef idea Mickey`=

My biggest issue with the Epcot transformation is the lack of consistency in quality. You have some additions that respect the original Epcot spirit (and even add to it in its own way) like the SSE points of light, Space 220, or even JOW. Meanwhile there are the other additions that are just... okay like the WC hub.
Totally! You'd actually think the lights on Spaceship Earth, and the futuristic light up monorail would been superb there during future world years and be removed now by the direction they are going with World Celebration. That to me is Future World still existing!

Cmdr_Crimson

Totally! You'd actually think the lights on Spaceship Earth, and the futuristic light up monorail would been superb there during future world years and be removed now by the direction they are going with World Celebration. That to me is Future World still existing!
I'm sorry, but I think The SSE lighting package is superb compared to the late FW years..That dull faded orange/pink/purple lights overstayed waay too long and they could had a color transition after the Wands demise of 2007...
1298300841_82738bd650_z.jpg

With the new package I think is Amazing..Yes it's not as awe-inspiring as Vegas's Sphere..
maxresdefault.jpg

But, it Still is Amazing with what they had done with it adding the new lighting on the ship itself but they Finally added the long waited lighting package that was to happen after the Wand was taken down..

Chef idea Mickey`=

I'm sorry, but I think The SSE lighting package is superb compared to the late FW years..That dull faded orange/pink/purple lights overstayed waay too long and they could had a color transition after the Wands demise of 2007...

With the new package I think is Amazing..Yes it's not as awe-inspiring as Vegas's Sphere..
maxresdefault.jpg

But, it Still is Amazing with what they had done with it adding the new lighting on the ship itself but they Finally added the long waited lighting package that was to happen after the Wand was taken down..

That's neat! The lighting package on SSE is perfect, I much prefer over the Vegas Sphere..they can each have their own identities... I had no idea they planned a lighting package for right after the wand... it's kind of sad anyone lifetime earlier who never got a chance to see this!

Vinnie Mac

maxresdefault.jpg

The Vegas sphere and the SSE lights are both awe inspiring in their own ways. The SSE lights complement the existing structure extremely well plus Epcot was doing the sphere screen thing way before it was cool! (Illuminations)

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes

maxresdefault.jpg

The Vegas Sphere feels significantly more dystopian and commercial than SSE. SSE was built as a metaphorical representation for communication connecting mankind throughout history, and while the beacons lighting package was indeed added for marketing purposes, it absolutely does not detract from that even with the sing-along shows. The sphere was built as a concert venue with a giant billboard on the outside. It's impressive for sure and nothing to sneeze at budget wise, but can be bought and sold as an ad space.

Cmdr_Crimson

The Vegas Sphere feels significantly more dystopian and commercial than SSE. SSE was built as a metaphorical representation for communication connecting mankind throughout history, and while the beacons lighting package was indeed added for marketing purposes, it absolutely does not detract from that even with the sing-along shows. The sphere was built as a concert venue with a giant billboard on the outside. It's impressive for sure and nothing to sneeze at budget wise, but can be bought and sold as an ad space
And yet we had this.... :banghead:
7ieH.gif

And if they wanted to communicate connecting mankind..They surely weren't thinking straight by making it a freaking DEATH STAR!!!!:eek:
zfklnk7zzm8ctfhh5e2o.gif

Now, they "COULD'VE" had some potential with the projections system on SSE and utilize it like the do at the 3 other parks incorporating themes and such of park and occasional Figment pop up..
df07jwr-e7b9b04a-0222-4ba0-aa15-de1441be9aab.gif

or use it during any of the fireworks shows..Epcot Forever with it would have worked perfectly with it IMO...

Speaking of which about said Sphere.....Or Wish to be exact..

Last edited:

Bocabear

the wand was supposed to be temporary for the Millennium and stayed far beyond it's time...I was so glad to see it gone, but it would take about decade or more to actually complete the restoration of the front entrance plaza...Way too long.

yensid67

THIS IS UNEXCEPTABLE! Even for Disney's standards (which they don't seem to have much of anymore). That concrete SHOULD have been done when the walls were all around!

Bocabear

Does anyone really know exactly what is going into this building? Quick serve location? Meet and Greets? Gallery Space? Retail?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom