News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Bocabear

To a certain extent, yes. But there are multiple common “connecting” spaces in EPCOT beyond Celebration Gardens. Comparing the disappointing central planter to the entire common area of another park is slightly disingenuous.
I was comparing Celestial Park to Celebration Gardens... The central planter in Celebration Gardens is indeed disappointing... I don't think any of the other areas of Celebration Gardens will live up to what appears to be an amazing space...Unless they totally flub the final execution...
Disney could have done more with the Hub...It is fine but looks like a corporate Business park or college campus...Maybe when the rebuilt Celebration Center is completed it will feel more like something...but none of Celebration Gardens carries the WOW factor that Celestial Park has... I guess you could say it is unfair to compare because they are apples to oranges...but not in a good way...Yes, I like trees and greenery... It's everything else that makes it completely underwhelming...

Epcot82Guy

I was comparing Celestial Park to Celebration Gardens... The central planter in Celebration Gardens is indeed disappointing... I don't think any of the other areas of Celebration Gardens will live up to what appears to be an amazing space...Unless they totally flub the final execution...
Disney could have done more with the Hub...It is fine but looks like a corporate Business park or college campus...Maybe when the rebuilt Celebration Center is completed it will feel more like something...but none of Celebration Gardens carries the WOW factor that Celestial Park has... I guess you could say it is unfair to compare because they are apples to oranges...but not in a good way...Yes, I like trees and greenery... It's everything else that makes it completely underwhelming...

I agree with this 100%. Again, we'll have to see it in person. But, there are a number of very nice areas in IOA along the water that make me think Universal could do something very nice here. (IOA's waterfront is woefully underutilized in my opinion.)

And, I am a fan of Celebration Gardens overall. The issue is, even when finished, Celebration Gardens is a place I go to when already in Epcot for a nice break. Celestial Park looks like something I would actually go to the park to experience (like World Showcase is for Epcot).

Even if Celestial Park ends up becoming a Celebration Gardens-World Showcase Promenade hybrid of sorts (assuming they get the F&B right), that's a pretty formidable player IMHO.

yensid1967

Well I guess we must wait to see how much EPICs concept compares to its reality.

Then we can compare EPIC reality to EPCOT reality.

Whatever they are trying to do in EPCOT should be done by the time EPIC opens, right?
HA! Think again! What we have at the NEW Epcot took 5 YEARS to build and all they really did was tear down one side of innovations building to add Moana, they could have kept the other side where the festival pavilion is being built and just renovated that side of innovations! Saving money!
I really think Disney will be hit hard next year when Epic opens! Disney announced $60million? or Billion? in park investment, but since that was announced LAST YEAR, NOTHING has been announced. And it should not take 5 years to build 1 attraction or land!

Disstevefan1

HA! Think again! What we have at the NEW Epcot took 5 YEARS to build and all they really did was tear down one side of innovations building to add Moana, they could have kept the other side where the festival pavilion is being built and just renovated that side of innovations! Saving money!
I really think Disney will be hit hard next year when Epic opens! Disney announced $60million? or Billion? in park investment, but since that was announced LAST YEAR, NOTHING has been announced. And it should not take 5 years to build 1 attraction or land!
You are 100 percent correct and now I am sad.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Someone made an interesting observation point in which Disney and Universal are both going in complete opposites. What Universal's main theme attribute started from a studio park, Backlot building structure now is going the most thematic of theme park and park evolution. Whereas Epcot is going default college campus least of any theme. World Celebration supposed to be colorful not brownish. Epic Universe looks like it will bring music like the old future world once had. The place that needs more park, shade and trees is DHS its so hot there I can feel the concrete!

Skibum1970

One thing that I remember is that Iger stated that the big expenditures for WDW would not start until the latter half of this decade in one of his conferences. So, they might not start anything, i.e., shovels in dirt, until 2027 or 2028. I'm guessing that they are betting on a) Their fans won't go to Epic, b) A rising tide lifts all boats (more visitors for both UNI and WDW, or c) Weather the Epic storm and then strike after it cools a little.

I have no inside opinions but Disney could be in a for rude awakening, as happened with Potter. I also wonder if their actuaries or whoever is doing the predicting are feeding upper management with rainbow-colored visions of the future.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

The Hub of EPCOT is not EPCOT's only "park feature." There are acres of park-like areas in front of the front-gate pavilions extending to and surrounding all of Showcase Lagoon. EPCOT is a giant park-like park.

The Old Hub had trouble presenting itself as a park-like park with all that concrete that engulfed everything, even the first 6 feet of the FoN.

Here's the park in EPCOT. Only 76 acres tho...

View attachment 766175
The weird thing about this image is by the time the Harmonious Barges were installed and the roof was replaced on connections and creating the fountain of nations was long gone and filled in yet we see a structure resembling it.

Last edited:

Chef idea Mickey`=

One thing that I remember is that Iger stated that the big expenditures for WDW would not start until the latter half of this decade in one of his conferences. So, they might not start anything, i.e., shovels in dirt, until 2027 or 2028. I'm guessing that they are betting on a) Their fans won't go to Epic, b) A rising tide lifts all boats (more visitors for both UNI and WDW, or c) Weather the Epic storm and then strike after it cools a little.

I have no inside opinions but Disney could be in a for rude awakening, as happened with Potter. I also wonder if their actuaries or whoever is doing the predicting are feeding upper management with rainbow-colored visions of the future.
Disney needs to go the traditional Disney route of the past, take note from Tokyo, or else most importantly listen to what the guests want because the only way their Star Wars Galaxy Edge would been an Avatar winner was had they went with the classic route. Universal just pointed out that they asked and listened to their fans and guests. lol

MagicHappens1971

Disney needs to go the traditional Disney route of the past, take note from Tokyo, or else most importantly listen to what the guests want because the only way their Star Wars Galaxy Edge would been an Avatar winner was had they went with the classic route. Universal just pointed out that they asked and listened to their fans and guests. lol
Galaxy's Edge could've been a smash hit, but KK & Iger's egos got in the way.

MagicHappens1971

Penny pinching got in the way.
While this is true, setting & locking the land into the sequel trilogy was their first sin. I am not a Sequel trilogy hater and it does not bother me that it's set in the sequel trilogy, but I am in the minority. There are a vast majority of people that would not have cared what stops Disney pulled out for this, if they can't meet Darth Vader.

We will also obviously never know the exact budgets and such, but I'm very curious how much of those funds got "pinched" for the R&D of the Starcruiser tech.

Bocabear

so this 'park' thing is an after hours rentable wedding ceremony place in the heart of Epcot?
it feels very On BRAND for TDO 2024 to be renting major park structures for private events...it has been happening for years, maybe we will now start seeing more of this...

CntrlFlPete

it feels very On BRAND for TDO 2024 to be renting major park structures for private events...it has been happening for years, maybe we will now start seeing more of this...

it opens up availability in '25 and I get they have many wedding venues on property, I just did not think the open area was meant for weddings.

Cmdr_Crimson

it opens up availability in '25 and I get they have many wedding venues on property, I just did not think the open area was meant for weddings.
Nothing says having a wedding at Epcot without your creepy uncle sitting Waaay in the back corner...Referring to the Walt Poopin Statue😅
Disney-Fairy-Tale-Weddings_Full_54854.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom