News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Well lets at least compare concept art, because reality isn't the way it appears in marketing art.

Epcot_Full_47338.jpg

Epcot_Full_47310.jpg

Vinnie Mac

As much as the original concept for the “new” Epcot was a big departure, it was definitely a step up and more comparable to that Epic shot.
This is absolutely true but the issue is that (and i dont really like aligning myself with that "Universal>Disney" narrative) with Universal what you see in the concept art is what you get. The park we saw in concept art in 2019 is the same exact park we'll be able to visit in 2025 (it even looks better than I imagined). There's no "what could have been" or "(insert really cool thing) was planned but was cut due to (covid/budget cuts/unknown but probably stupid reason)". You can't ever trust Disney with the first piece of concept art they release cause the finished product ends up looking drastically different. Sometimes it still looks good but other times it makes you wish they didn't release the original concept art at all

Vinnie Mac

I do want to add that to compare this project to Epic Universe is... silly... to say the least. I more so agree with the comparison in the context of budget cuts and creative changes (or even how long this crap took). Other than that a redo of the hub for an existing park is going to be dramatically different and perhaps less ambitious than the creation of an entirely new world class theme park

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Hub of EPCOT is not EPCOT's only "park feature." There are acres of park-like areas in front of the front-gate pavilions extending to and surrounding all of Showcase Lagoon. EPCOT is a giant park-like park.

The Old Hub had trouble presenting itself as a park-like park with all that concrete that engulfed everything, even the first 6 feet of the FoN.

Here's the park in EPCOT. Only 76 acres tho...

1706748881532.png

Chef idea Mickey`=

Yall are not including world showcase and the massive lagoon in these comparisons and that's weird to me.
I Believe we're all here comparing World Celebration Gardens with Celestial Park. There's no need to compare World Showcase Lagoon just like the portal Lands vs World Showcase.

Chef idea Mickey`=

IMG_8095.jpg

This bottom part was what was exciting... was this what Universal saw before or at the same time or was this Disney's response... This concept art in reality would of looked like a head to head battle competition with Epic.. just like Universal Studios vs MGM studios.

Look at those new bridge pathways and Bellagio style mega fountains. :(

Vinnie Mac

View attachment 766361
This bottom part was what was exciting... was this what Universal saw before or at the same time or was this Disney's response... This concept art in reality would of looked like a head to head battle competition with Epic.. just like Universal Studios vs MGM studios.

Look at those new bridge pathways and Bellagio style mega fountains. :(
This concept art is always so fascinating to me but I'll admit I lack context for it. When was this released and was this part of the concept for Epcot 2.0 where Spaceship Earth became a thrill ride?

Bocabear

Comparing Celestial Park to World Celebration or whatever it is called is valid... Celestial Park has a lot of kinetics with the Carousel, Fountains, Waterfalls etc. It has a couple dining venues and a major coaster all within the themed area... It is certainly more dynamic and beautiful than what the EPCOT 2.0 hub offers ...But that is also the advantage of building from scratch VS a remodel... There is much they could have done to really make the EPCOT hub more beautiful and engaging... and some kinetics in the environment would have been key.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Comparing Celestial Park to World Celebration or whatever it is called is valid... Celestial Park has a lot of kinetics with the Carousel, Fountains, Waterfalls etc. It has a couple dining venues and a major coaster all within the themed area... It is certainly more dynamic and beautiful than what the EPCOT 2.0 hub offers ...But that is also the advantage of building from scratch VS a remodel... There is much they could have done to really make the EPCOT hub more beautiful and engaging... and some kinetics in the environment would have been key.
I do not believe in any ways rebuilding over is a cause vs from scratch... Riviera, Disney Spring's, especially, new Fantastland proved otherwise. They could of made it as beautiful I'm shocked never in my mind did I expect behind those walls would it be opposite to what Disney did best prior. I just think with Disney since 2019 what kills everything is budget cuts even for Harmonious! Promised #BiggestFireworkEver

Chef idea Mickey`=

And also of note that they never released this piece. Only extremely briefly showed it on stage at that year’s D23. They did not want people reading into it because none of it was anywhere near final.
The same should of been for the Epcot Experience Center Experience. In the Harmonious portion showed the barges all spread out from each other, much smaller, beautiful light strobes moving along from the barges and the intro supposed to be the finale with Ginormous colored fireworks ending it all.

The barges locked together in the center was major disappointment to me and no strobe lights instead of rainbow colors on the fireworks it was on the barges. Budget cuts undermined Harmonious promise of the largest firework show... the barges were more for decor background with disney character silluettes not the main focal over the fireworks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom