News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

DisneyFans4Life

I agree also to an extent, but so much infrastructure had to be put in place from scratch for each of these. Just thinking of the shear amount that was built to get DL and MK off the ground, it's mind-boggling. Yeah, both parks were much smaller then, and building into an existing and functioning park has it complexities. But you have to tip your hat to the military leaders and others who jumped in and got it done.

Disneyland was a totally new concept that had been thought about since the late 30's, but a tremendous amount of work was done in that 2 years.

Similarly, building such a complex in Florida swampland with two major and unique hotel complexes, parking, boats, monorail, utilidors, and a few dozen attractions was a monumental building project that took only two years. I would have to think that those who built DL and MK would be shaking their heads at the pace of later projects. I wonder how long it took to add later additions, like certain World Showcase pavilions, or Space Mountain, or Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest, and the dozens of other additions to existing parks over the years. Even Fantasyland seemed to take less time than Avatarland. I can't help but think that a bureaucracy has grown where quick innovation and decision-making once ruled.
No doubt that things take longer now. Heck...it'll be what...3 years this November since Avatarland was started? Unfortunately Disney doesn't have full control over that build; they're a bit at the mercy of Cameron who has delayed it a few times already.

VJ

Yes, Disneyland was built in a year, but it was under Walt's "get it done by any means necessary" attitude and the park was half-finished at best on opening day. Tomorrowland was pretty much a pile of dirt. I think if the internet were around back then (especially these forums), you guys would be having a field day with so much to complain about how the park opened unfinished. So don't go trotting out the "Disneyland was built in a year!" argument because by the time the park was fleshed out it was at least 1959 or so.

RoysCabin

Yeah, things taking awhile doesn't bother me, so long as the final product is done well. I'd rather see that concepts aren't rushed without real forethought, that safety measures are followed, that labor matters are treated fairly, etc. When things take awhile because "we planned on this random film being a bigger hit, OOPS", that's obnoxious.

flynnibus

Premium Member
FYI, I think it took from 1973 -1982 for EpcotCenter . Concept -to opening day

You're including many years of CONCEPT development... aka Nunis saying 'go figure out what EPCOT should be Marty...' where they spent years interviewing, focus groups, interacting with industry and government trying to figure out what they should do. Actual flushed out concept that was put into development came later.

tirian

Yes, Disneyland was built in a year, but it was under Walt's "get it done by any means necessary" attitude and the park was half-finished at best on opening day. Tomorrowland was pretty much a pile of dirt. I think if the internet were around back then (especially these forums), you guys would be having a field day with so much to complain about how the park opened unfinished. So don't go trotting out the "Disneyland was built in a year!" argument because by the time the park was fleshed out it was at least 1959 or so.
I'd say 1965. The DL argument definitely doesn't hold water.

According to Disney lore, when BTMRR was built in Florida, it cost more than DL's opening day.

tirian

Yeah, things taking awhile doesn't bother me, so long as the final product is done well. I'd rather see that concepts aren't rushed without real forethought, that safety measures are followed, that labor matters are treated fairly, etc. When things take awhile because "we planned on this random film being a bigger hit, OOPS", that's obnoxious.
It's also obnoxious to drag out the building process because it has to go through multiple levels of egos and bureaucracy, only to slam to a halt when someone decides the previously approved funds make a better bonus. (See: Space Mt refurb and Phil Holmes.)

Figments Friend

Here's my quickly drawn artist's impression of what you describe. It would fresh the entire area up and make it look very modern again:

Communicore.1.jpg

I love you....

:joyfull:

-

Captain Neo

So we know the Guardians of the Galaxy e-ticket is getting pretty serious but what about this alleged plan to rework the main plaza and entryway? Is that just a blue sky thing that gets thrown around every now and then or are they moving forward with ti and budgeting it out? Have imagineers been in the area lately checking things out?

PirateFrank

FYI, I think it took from 1973 -1982 for EpcotCenter . Concept -to opening day

I'd love to see some evidence that Epcot - in its opening day incarnation started planning in 1973. Not being argumentative, I'd just like to know your basis for why you said 73.

Truth be told, one could make an argument that Epcot began planning long before the legislative package was passed in the florida senate in the mid 60s (prior to construction of the mk). The key here is to determine when the concept shifted from a 'City of Tomorrow' to a theme park -- and assigning a date to it. Is that a date that is well known? I don't know....

montyz81

I'd love to see some evidence that Epcot - in its opening day incarnation started planning in 1973. Not being argumentative, I'd just like to know your basis for why you said 73.

Truth be told, one could make an argument that Epcot began planning long before the legislative package was passed in the florida senate in the mid 60s (prior to construction of the mk). The key here is to determine when the concept shifted from a 'City of Tomorrow' to a theme park -- and assigning a date to it. Is that a date that is well known? I don't know....
I'll admit, I assumed that it was after MK opened plus a few years to make sure it was running right that they started working more aggressively on re-imagining Walt's City of tomorrow. This one time, I did not go look back to check my assumptions. Sorry. I was corrected by @marni1971. The numbers he gave I would believe are dead on accurate.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So we know the Guardians of the Galaxy e-ticket is getting pretty serious but what about this alleged plan to rework the main plaza and entryway? Is that just a blue sky thing that gets thrown around every now and then or are they moving forward with ti and budgeting it out? Have imagineers been in the area lately checking things out?
It is being budgeted.

FigmentForver96

I would say the city of tomorrow concept died with Walt.

P_Radden

oh please oh please!!!
Remove the tombstone...move the "Leave A Legacy" metal plates to the outer walls flanking the couryard. replace the prisms with new technology lighting (or a really fabulous placemeaking new fountain... Re create the AWE we all felt on our first trip to EPCOT Center...
stop getting us all worked up damn it!!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom