News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

montyz81

I'd doubt it. But it would be nice.

It's part of an overall beautification - and greener - central spine. That is the area from turnstiles to showcase down the middle of the park.
If they remove the original Epcot Center symbol down that stretch, that will truly put in jeopardy my classifying this park as my favorite of all Disney parks. I know it is a small thing to make this kind of a switch, but this is the proverbial straw....

P_Radden

If they remove the original Epcot Center symbol down that stretch, that will truly put in jeopardy my classifying this park as my favorite of all Disney parks. I know it is a small thing to make this kind of a switch, but this is the proverbial straw....
Fun Fact: at one time, where that huge logo is located was the near dead center of all WDW property.

ToTBellHop

The tombstones will certainly go away, but I don't think they will go retro with the replacement. They are trying to reinvent the front half of the park, and honestly, if that is their goal, I'm happy they are going all-in. Removing the edutainment but slapping a few retro ride logos on the rides would be disingenuous.

montyz81

Fun Fact: at one time, where that huge logo is located was the near dead center of all WDW property.
I was told it was over on the other side of Innoventions West where the quotes are in front of The Land.
7-21-2016 8-30-36 AM.png

P_Radden

I was told it was over on the other side of Innoventions West where the quotes are in front of The Land.
That thing is really cool if you take the time to look at all the plaques in the ground around the circle. They are supposed to represent major advances made by humans over time in chronological order.
I9uA1t4.jpg

Actually now you've got me second guessing myself... Anyone know which location is correct?

Attachments

• dasfdsf.jpg
    dasfdsf.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Yes, Disneyland was built in a year, but it was under Walt's "get it done by any means necessary" attitude and the park was half-finished at best on opening day. Tomorrowland was pretty much a pile of dirt. I think if the internet were around back then (especially these forums), you guys would be having a field day with so much to complain about how the park opened unfinished. So don't go trotting out the "Disneyland was built in a year!" argument because by the time the park was fleshed out it was at least 1959 or so.
Exactly! You have my thumbs up for that post.

montyz81

The tombstones will certainly go away, but I don't think they will go retro with the replacement. They are trying to reinvent the front half of the park, and honestly, if that is their goal, I'm happy they are going all-in. Removing the edutainment but slapping a few retro ride logos on the rides would be disingenuous.
I think removing the edutainment aspect of a Epcot as a whole would be accepting the trends in this country. Lets dumb down everything and make America as stupid as possible by spoon feeding everything. There are three other parks plus other various ways to get entertainment in WDW. Why not keep one park with that educational undertone. Please don't tell me that people do not like to be educated when they are on vacation. There were an estimated 20 million tourist visitors to Washington DC in 2014. People do still like to learn some things when on vacation. Fyi, there were 19 million people who visited Magic Kingdom that same year.

Seabasealpha1

I'm all about the "War Memorial" disappearing from the front of the park...that would be awesome...but at the same time, if they're not gonna replace the prisms, they oughta remove the fountain they used to sit on. It always looks half-finished to me...jerk that sucker out if you're not gonna use it...

ABQ

I'd doubt it. But it would be nice.

It's part of an overall beautification - and greener - central spine. That is the area from turnstiles to showcase down the middle of the park.
Would plans include a complete overhaul of the turnstile area itself, to allow for a more permanent "enhanced" security process, i.e. metal detectors for all guests?

SpaceMountain77

Earlier today, I was thinking about The American Adventure. If Frozen Ever After is an accurate indication of the direction of World Showcase, then The American Adventure will seem like an odd offering among character-based attractions. Moreover, it would send a supremacy message if The American Adventure remains and all other country pavilions in World Showcase are characterized.

SpaceMountain77

Perhaps this question is best directed to @marni1971 . Are there any attractions in Epcot with the staying power of the Haunted Mansion, it's a small world, Jungle Cruise, or Pirates of the Caribbean? I would like to think Spaceship Earth, but it may have become Time Racers.

I often wonder if the Imagineers are committed to having a classic attraction for Epcot.

RobidaFlats

Perhaps this question is best directed to @marni1971 . Are there any attractions in Epcot with the staying power of the Haunted Mansion, it's a small world, Jungle Cruise, or Pirates of the Caribbean? I would like to think Spaceship Earth, but it may have become Time Racers.

I often wonder if the Imagineers are committed to having a classic attraction for Epcot.

I would think (and hope) that American Adventure would have some staying power.

ToTBellHop

To me, the original concept of EPCOT ensured that nothing was ever permanent. More recently, though, Disney has been unwilling to make updates as often as originally intended. For example, I don't ever see Test Track or Soarin' leaving. So they are "classics."

Thanks phoenicians

If they're really going all in then they need to do something about the magic eye theater and imagination too. Obviously if they don't have the proper allotment of money then they should hold off a few years

ToTBellHop

If they're really going all in then they need to do something about the magic eye theater and imagination too. Obviously if they don't have the proper allotment of money then they should hold off a few years
All of the stale areas of FW will get touched. Eventually. Imagination forgot to reserve a FP+ though so it's sitting way in the back of Stand-By in line for the Get Fixed ride.

Ralphlaw

I love edutainment. Every one of our vacations has an educational component to it, whether Disney or Europe or anywhere else. The problem is the pace of tech change is so fast that the "future" as portrayed in the Future World is either behind us or wrong before the attraction is a couple years old. It's much safer to come up with a Soarin', that has nothing to do with the future, (but does fit in kind of with World Showcase).

I also think Spaceship Earth is safe because it primarily focuses on the past. The "future" part is basically touch screens and software, which would be relatively easy to update. Also, Spaceship Earth is one of the most ridden attractions on property from what I hear. More people per day ride SE than just about anything else. I love it. It's relaxing, educational, interesting, and fun. For three years now I have taken my kids on European vacations, and every time it's mentioned that there's some connection to SE, whether it's Michelangelo, Rome, Monasteries, the Berlin Olympics, Islamic Scholars, Gothic architecture, etc . . . It is a wonderful tie-in to our other trips, and is a testament to Disney's ability to enrich and not just entertain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom