News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

James Alucobond

Plus a very large fountain that did shows. I think that's an important point. This changes the orientation of the plaza. The plaza is now just a place to walk through around a planter. I'm not saying it's better or worse. But, the space arguably has less than it did before offerings wise/physically. (Loss of the EU seating area, FountainView, Fountain of Nations.) Maybe people will stop by and enjoy the little pocket parks around the logo. But, this could also end up like the Oasis at Animal Kingdom - where very few people step off the main walkways.

I totally get your point. But, I don't really see this central plaza becoming some attraction. Maybe the statue for the influencers. But, it was a place people walk through to cross the park. And, I think it's going to be a new, more nature-focused version of just that going forward.

That doesn't make it worse or bad. Rather, it's more on par with the Creations redo IMHO.
While I think your assessment is generally correct, I do think they're making some effort to draw people into the space. There is outdoor dining in the quadrant outside of Connections, and there are both bar-height tables and lower benches built into the planters next to the omnidirectional stage at Communicore Hall. The other two gardens seem to be just for seating, but I also think they'll become preferred locations for viewing the Spaceship Earth light shows at night now.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Am I dumb?

It is centered within the gray circle. The planters just come into the circle.
But not all of them. The “top” planters align to the interlocking rings and the “bottom” planters roughly align to the outside circle. They could have chosen to edge them inside or outside, and they went with “all of the above.” As a result, the whole thing looks offset up.

Personally, I would have gone with alternating.

trainplane3

But not all of them. The “top” planters align to the interlocking rings and the “bottom” planters roughly align to the outside circle. They could have chosen to edge them inside or outside, and they went with “all of the above.” As a result, the whole thing looks offset up.

Or another way to look at it, the top 4 lights are inside the gray circle while the bottom 4 aren't. It's pretty awkward when viewed from above.

And obviously it's intentional since you don't get this far and realize it's not the same all the way around.

Definitely something you won't notice on the ground and not terrible. But it does look odd from above.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Or another way to look at it, the top 4 lights are inside the gray circle while the bottom 4 aren't. It's pretty awkward when viewed from above.

And obviously it's intentional since you don't get this far and realize it's not the same all the way around.

Definitely something you won't notice on the ground and not terrible. But it does look odd from above.

It is very odd from above, almost like they had two teams working on the same area and didn't coordinate properly. I'm not saying that's what happened, that's just what it looks like.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It looks nice, but I can't say it's a revolutionary transformation. (Ignoring entirely the timeline.) I do think the removal of all water is a miss. Plus, no increase in capacity at all.

This isn't Disney Springs. It's a nice (arguably very nice) landscaping refresh.

In Disney's mind, the "Journey of Water" is there to replace all of the missing water features (Note I haven't gone through it yet myself to see it)

Haymarket2008

I guess I’m in the minority (???), but from the looks of it, this is an objective upgrade from the previous central core experience.

Yes, Fountain of Nations is dearly missed, but with the Spaceship Earth light shows extending into the core and having it all be a communal place with foliage and greenery…an absolute plus in my book.

tparris

I guess I’m in the minority (???), but from the looks of it, this is an objective upgrade from the previous central core experience.

Yes, Fountain of Nations is dearly missed, but with the Spaceship Earth light shows extending into the core and having it all be a communal place with foliage and greenery…an absolute plus in my book.
I’m in the same boat. I do really miss the Fountain of Nations, but other than that my only really gripe with the new area is how ridiculously long it’s taken.

HauntedMansionFLA

What’s going in where the former F&G playground used to be located?

Attachments

• IMG_3058.png
    IMG_3058.png
    402 KB · Views: 84

Epcot82Guy

While I think your assessment is generally correct, I do think they're making some effort to draw people into the space. There is outdoor dining in the quadrant outside of Connections, and there are both bar-height tables and lower benches built into the planters next to the omnidirectional stage at Communicore Hall. The other two gardens seem to be just for seating, but I also think they'll become preferred locations for viewing the Spaceship Earth light shows at night now.

I totally agree with the idea that is their design intent. It just feels like so many corporate "parks". They are pretty and nice on paper. But I'm not convinced it will actually be utilized.

Again, I don't think it's bad at all. The only negatives are the lack of any water and the missing 1/4 behind JOW. It's a very nice refresh. It just isn't groundbreaking (no pun intended). And certainly extreme in the time spent.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Its an OCD trap.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I totally agree with the idea that is their design intent. It just feels like so many corporate "parks". They are pretty and nice on paper. But I'm not convinced it will actually be utilized.

Again, I don't think it's bad at all. The only negatives are the lack of any water and the missing 1/4 behind JOW. It's a very nice refresh. It just isn't groundbreaking (no pun intended). And certainly extreme in the time spent.

Its Florida, plenty of water everywhere so its not that unique. Now if it were California or Arizona, thats something that's lacking a lot of the year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom