News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

DCBaker

Premium Member
The merchandise kiosks near the Disney100 sign in World Celebration have reopened - photos from today.

IMG_9895.jpeg
IMG_9902.jpeg

tparris

Just took a loop around the monorail, based on the positioning of the new walls (they now connect to the existing walls) I’m expecting World Celebration to open within the next week or maybe two weeks at the latest. I’m curious if we’ll be getting some sort of announcement beforehand or if the walls will just suddenly be gone one morning.

JonsMovies

It would make sense that they want the walls down for Luminous on Dec 5th, but can anyone confirm this is definitely the plan? Going on the 13th and really hoping to finally see the walls gone.

vikescaper

It would make sense that they want the walls down for Luminous on Dec 5th, but can anyone confirm this is definitely the plan? Going on the 13th and really hoping to finally see the walls gone.
I don’t think anybody knows for sure, except for Disney. It would be nice for the walls to be down (except for the ones around CommuniCore Hall and Plaza) by then.

Epcot82Guy

The unfinished upper left quadrant bothers me more and more the closer this gets to done...

A lighted modern trellis or something over the walkway could have been a really cool way to solve that design issue with JoW's placement. And, perfect spot for some in-sidewalk lighting...

Bocabear

The unfinished upper left quadrant bothers me more and more the closer this gets to done...

A lighted modern trellis or something over the walkway could have been a really cool way to solve that design issue with JoW's placement. And, perfect spot for some in-sidewalk lighting...
or instead of a trellis, a giant shade structure following the curve of the path....which would also be very welcome for the very frequent rainstorms in Florida... and sure! fiber optic lighting in the pavement was always a bit magical....
The more that gets done the sadder it is to think the center piece there is just a planter instead of a water feature...

Epcot82Guy

or instead of a trellis, a giant shade structure following the curve of the path....which would also be very welcome for the very frequent rainstorms in Florida... and sure! fiber optic lighting in the pavement was always a bit magical....
The more that gets done the sadder it is to think the center piece there is just a planter instead of a water feature...
That. A cool sculptural mural wall. A vertical fountain. Just something to create a feature in that 1/4.

Epcot82Guy

I've never been more excited for a bunch of trees. The park had been a concrete wasteland prior to the work in the area formerly known as Future World, and this is really shaping up to be a beautiful addition to the park.

It looks nice, but I can't say it's a revolutionary transformation. (Ignoring entirely the timeline.) I do think the removal of all water is a miss. Plus, no increase in capacity at all.

This isn't Disney Springs. It's a nice (arguably very nice) landscaping refresh.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

It looks nice, but I can't say it's a revolutionary transformation. (Ignoring entirely the timeline.) I do think the removal of all water is a miss. Plus, no increase in capacity at all.

This isn't Disney Springs. It's a nice landscaping refresh.

Landscaping refresh? More like adding actual landscaping 😂 the previous iteration was a cement wasteland. I used to think of it as the cement pad of doom.

Bocabear

It was a very large courtyard...I would hardly call it a cement wasteland... There are much larger plazas than the center core of EPCOT...Cement Wasteland doesn't really describe it... I wish they had kept it in it's original design, but they evidently needed more space for people... I wish this version had just been a turning back to the original central core design... with maybe one change of putting the fountain in the direct center instead of at the choke point.

Bocabear

Just a comparison...I feel like everyone is remembering this space WAY larger than it is in comparison to other open areas around the world... I never heard anyone compare the Vatican with a concrete jungle, or the Louvre courtyard, or Versailles, or Trafalger square... It was not that large a space....
Concrete Wasteland Comparisons.jpg

Brian

Just a comparison...I feel like everyone is remembering this space WAY larger than it is in comparison to other open areas around the world... I never heard anyone compare the Vatican with a concrete jungle, or the Louvre courtyard, or Versailles, or Trafalger square... It was not that large a space....View attachment 755827
My comment was more focused on the area formerly known as Future World as a whole. When you consider the area occupied by Journey of Water, the main entrance, and the central spine (between Communicore), there was a lot of concrete and very few trees. As a result of this project, that has thankfully been rectified.

As it pertains to the comparisons you made, none of them are in a subtropical climate with owners focused on the comfort of the pedestrians. Certainly a consideration in the plans for this project was the comfort and enjoyment of guests and being able to get some shade from the sun.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

Just a comparison...I feel like everyone is remembering this space WAY larger than it is in comparison to other open areas around the world... I never heard anyone compare the Vatican with a concrete jungle, or the Louvre courtyard, or Versailles, or Trafalger square... It was not that large a space....View attachment 755827
This ignores the purpose of each. Saint Peter's Square is designed to be crammed full of people when the Pope delivers blessings. The courtyards in Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios host nighttime shows and parades. EPCOT's had become home to a pin trading booth and a bunch of awnings that obscured views of the park icon; it definitely no longer felt like the heart of the park.

Epcot82Guy

This ignores the purpose of each. Saint Peter's Square is designed to be crammed full of people when the Pope delivers blessings. The courtyards in Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios host nighttime shows and parades. EPCOT's had become home to a pin trading booth and a bunch of awnings that obscured views of the park icon; it definitely no longer felt like the heart of the park.

Plus a very large fountain that did shows. I think that's an important point. This changes the orientation of the plaza. The plaza is now just a place to walk through around a planter. I'm not saying it's better or worse. But, the space arguably has less than it did before offerings wise/physically. (Loss of the EU seating area, FountainView, Fountain of Nations.) Maybe people will stop by and enjoy the little pocket parks around the logo. But, this could also end up like the Oasis at Animal Kingdom - where very few people step off the main walkways.

I totally get your point. But, I don't really see this central plaza becoming some attraction. Maybe the statue for the influencers. But, it was a place people walk through to cross the park. And, I think it's going to be a new, more nature-focused version of just that going forward.

That doesn't make it worse or bad. Rather, it's more on par with the Creations redo IMHO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom