News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Fear

I’m presuming that with the continuously delayed opening of World Celebration, the last four food and wine booths will not be opening and will just quietly die off?

None of the booths were located in World Celebration as initially expected, booths 29-32:

1694710883420.png

No Name

I personally feel that Test Track should be a part of World Celebration for the following reasons:

- It doesn’t fit with the spaciness of Guardians and Mission Space well.
- It’s very blue, the color of World Celebration! (though that might change)
- It would make the three “neighborhoods” symmetrical in a plan that’s gone back to symmetry.
- Nobody will be opposed to this because nobody else really knows or cares.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Symmetry is impossible to achieve without either uniting everything again or ceding Connections to World Discovery since Journey of Water is within the ring.
This whole "in the monorail ring or not" delineator I find confusing.

When it was all Future World. The monorail ring was not a delineator of anything. Everything in the ring was Future World, and everything outside the ring was Future World.

Sure, guests tried to create neighborhoods in their own "mind canon" by lumping Land and Seas together, and having CommuniCore/Innoventions in the center as a thing. But after that, such clumpings broke down with high concept pavilions like Motion, SSE and the history of communication, and Horizons, and Imagination... all very hodgepodgey that defies making 'neighborhoods' make sense.

Well, we have official canon now for three neighborhoods that disregard the monorail ring, just like it didn't matter for Future World. <shrug>

To repeat what I've said upstream, I'd be for for all of Future World to be called World Celebration. If you're celebrating the World... everything fits. And it get's closer to the World's Fair language.

World's Fair <=> World Celebration

James Alucobond

When it was all Future World. The monorail ring was not a delineator of anything. Everything in the ring was Future World, and everything outside the ring was Future World.

Sure, guests tried to create neighborhoods in their own "mind canon" by lumping Land and Seas together, and having CommuniCore/Innoventions in the center as a thing. But after that, such clumpings broke down with high concept pavilions like Motion, SSE and the history of communication, and Horizons, and Imagination... all very hodgepodgey that defies making 'neighborhoods' make sense.

Well, we have official canon now for three neighborhoods that disregard the monorail ring, just like it didn't matter for Future World. <shrug>

To repeat what I've said upstream, I'd be for for all of Future World to be called World Celebration. If you're celebrating the World... everything fits. And it get's closer to the World's Fair language.

World's Fair <=> World Celebration
I'm just saying that, in the most literal sense, you cannot make a map with symmetrical zones while keeping the current nomenclature unless you divvy up more of the spine since World Nature now cuts into it. I wasn't trying to say it must be symmetrical; I was just responding to the notion that reassigning Test Track would make it so. The blue color blob for World Celebration would still be wonkily shaped.

Epcot82Guy

I personally feel that Test Track should be a part of World Celebration for the following reasons:

- It doesn’t fit with the spaciness of Guardians and Mission Space well.
- It’s very blue, the color of World Celebration! (though that might change)
- It would make the three “neighborhoods” symmetrical in a plan that’s gone back to symmetry.
- Nobody will be opposed to this because nobody else really knows or cares.

I agree. It would be tough to do now. I actually think Epcot Center would work as the central neighborhood, celebrating human imagination and innovation - with TT, Imag and SSE headlining.

You then have World Nature (natural world) and World Discovery (space).

The ship has sailed, but it would have been a much better blueprint/concept to work from.

James Alucobond

so do we know what is going in that former starbucks location or is it just landscaping?
The Starbucks building shell is still there and will presumably remain as festival booth space going forward. The area under construction is probably mostly landscaping, but there will likely be seating as well or something. I think there was previously a small playground here at one point or another?

In other news, from monorail views today, it looks like a lot of additional landscaping is going on in the garden just outside Creation Shop, making the area look much closer to completion. Hard to see any of the other gardens without an aerial, though the terrace in front of Dreamers Point is still pretty barren.

James Alucobond

Sorry for the double post, but caught something else today. Looks like the backstage entrance may not be long for this world. They're setting up new temporary fencing north of the Journey of Water filtration facility (highlighted below) that will allow them to remove the majority of the nearby plywood construction walls, finish the landscaping, and restore the backstage gate for cast members next to the restrooms.
backstagewall_filtration.png

lazyboy97o

It’s what Kevin Lynch described as an edge condition which does not have to define a formal boundary. It’s something people recognize as defining a spatial boundary. It’s a strong part of the mental image of Epcot and defined the node around which Future World was organized.

James Alucobond

Seems there are new walls around the snack kiosks that normally sit near the monorail track across from the Imagination sign. Hopefully those are getting replaced considering how ancient they are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom