News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Landscaping has started going in at CommuniCore Plaza - photo via bioreconstruct.

F5mulNhXMAAMP73.jpeg

James Alucobond

Those triangles did always look off to me since they neither had the variegated dimensional quality of the ones shown in the artwork over the main entrance to Communicore Hall nor the more random tangrams-esque appearance of the panels next to the stage. I wonder if they were just to make sure the sizing was correct? Or maybe the artwork is inaccurate.

Always glad to see more landscaping going in, though.

Dan Deesnee

This is an honest, legitimate question that I'm asking. I'm not trying to just stir things up. Does anyone know what we've actually gained over these past years with the changes to epcot?

We lost the cool huge fountain and have a smaller one with a somewhat cool looking statue thing.

We have the Moana walk through.

The lights on spaceship earth, which are actually really cool.

But I'm trying for the life of me to think of anything else notable and I just can't. I know they repainted some buildings and renovated some buildings like adding the new quick service place and the new store. However, I wouldn't really call those notable additions.

I just feel like a huge part of this park was shut down for years on end and now that it's finished I'm kind of like:

I Dont Care Whatever GIF

James Alucobond

This is an honest, legitimate question that I'm asking. I'm not trying to just stir things up. Does anyone know what we've actually gained over these past years with the changes to epcot?

We lost the cool huge fountain and have a smaller one with a somewhat cool looking statue thing.

But I'm trying for the life of me to think of anything else notable and I just can't. I know they repainted some buildings and renovated some buildings like adding the new quick service place and the new store. However, I wouldn't really call those notable additions.

I just feel like a huge part of this park was shut down for years on end and now that it's finished I'm kind of like:

I Dont Care Whatever GIF
That was always going to be the case with the spine, just with the original intention being a more visually interesting elevated version of Communicore Hall and a more chaotic garden, which might have included one additional small fountain and whatever the wishing tree was. The goal in the center of the park was pretty much always just a refresh. I think folks who are shrugging now would've been shrugging anyway even without the budget cuts.

J4546

well gotg coaster and Rat are the 2 biggest things. Overall I def like the new central core area and the new communicore plaza stage area is shapig up to be quite nice as well imo. I love all the greenscaping theyve done as well. I think its a massive improvement from whats there but it should taken les time. thats my biggest issue with all of this is how long it took.

Disney Analyst

I Dont Care Whatever GIF

If we focus on the spine strictly, I’d say you’ve gained a far and improved entry and central experience. Gardens, seating, shade, meandering paths. It feels like a park you can relax in, a place you can relax if you feel a sensory overload.

Versus an open, sun soaked plaza, with a fountain at one end, and a… weird shade structure on the other.

I know many here loved the fountain, I accept that, and certainly it would be nice if they included some sort of water feature… but as I only ever experienced Epcot from 2013 onwards, the only thing I did was get the heck out of that barren area.

I saw a photo of the area from before those times, and it’s really a shame they… changed it to what it became, and it’s good they are changing it to a greener space.

IMG_6867.jpeg

MagicHappens1971

Can any smart person here gather up the Epcot overhaul announce date vs. break-ground date vs. Final end date?

I'd love to see the numbers listed in months so we can use it as a guage to predict the speed of future promised projects.

Again....nothing,..not one single Blue Sky water color painting is worth ANYthing until is has an actual Disney Finance Department green light stamp on it. Without that?...Josh can say he is thinking about building 5 new parks with a 6th one being built on the moon.

"What if...." is 100% nothing in the real world if it does not have Disney Finance ready to pay for it and start writing checks to start them.
Well rumors started swirling in the fall of 2015 when this thread began.

1,373 days later (roughly 4 years later), Disney officially announced their plans to redo the Central Spine & more at D23.

The bulk of the construction walls went up over the following month and construction began (for the central spine), we know that the majority of that has not finished yet and will not open until December.
1,553 days (A little over 4 years) for a splash pad and some grass, and refreshed dining & merch locations.

Remy's was announced at D23 2017... land clearing and such began in ~November 8th 2017. The attraction did not open until October 1st, 2021.
1,424 days (nearly 4 years) to clone an attraction.

Guardians was announced at D23 2017... land clearing and such began the following month, the first piece of the track was installed 14 months later, and the attraction itself didn't open then for another 42 months.

Space 220 was announced at D23 2019...construction began in ~August of 2019. Opened in September 2021, roughly 2 years but probably the quickest turn around for all of the Epcot projects.

Never Happened:
- The United Kingdom pavilion will welcome the first attraction inspired by Mary Poppins. You will step in time down Cherry Tree Lane past Admiral Boom’s house, then enter Number 17, home of the Banks family, where your adventure will begin.
- In the China pavilion, “Wondrous China” will take guests on a spectacular journey across the country, filmed and presented in a completely seamless 360-degree digital format. (Will this ever open?)
- The PLAY! pavilion will open in time for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World. In this digital metropolis, you’ll discover an interactive city bursting with games, activities and experiences that connect you with friends, family and beloved Disney characters – both real and virtual – like never before

I'm sure I'm leaving some things and details out, but for sure puts things into perspective.

Last edited:

lindawdw

I Dont Care Whatever GIF
I agree. If you think about how long it actually took to build the MK from the first groundbreaking to opening day, it's ridiculous just how long this Epcot construction has taken even with the COVID delay. I actually am so tired of seeing walls and construction around the parks that I just don't want any more projects started for a very long time.

Dan Deesnee

I agree. If you think about how long it actually took to build the MK from the first groundbreaking to opening day, it's ridiculous just how long this Epcot construction has taken even with the COVID delay. I actually am so tired of seeing walls and construction around the parks that I just don't want any more projects started for a very long time.

Exactly. The problem is that when those walls come down it's hard to even get excited. Like, why were they even up? It's not like the Epcot walls are coming down and revealing anything that people are hyped up about.

We did get some good new stuff like Guardians, but overall Epcots big transformation is a big letdown.

Last edited:

Horizonsfan

I hope they aren't planning to keep the entire area screened off for some grand reveal. If that's the intent, I think they severely miscalculate guest excitement for the finished product vs. guest annoyance at its current state.

Those walls need to keep slowly receding until December...like they've been doing for the last year-ish. The NW, NE, and especially the SE quadrants all look like they could be ready to go in a matter of weeks if any care was shown to the guest experience.

James Alucobond

I hope they aren't planning to keep the entire area screened off for some grand reveal. If that's the intent, I think they severely miscalculate guest excitement for the finished product vs. guest annoyance at its current state.

Those walls need to keep slowly receding until December...like they've been doing for the last year-ish. The NW, NE, and especially the SE quadrants all look like they could be ready to go in a matter of weeks if any care was shown to the guest experience.
I think it's a matter of whether it enhances or confuses navigation. They should definitely drop the walls behind Dreamers Point and around the perimeter of Journey of Water as soon as possible, but I kind of waffle on the rest of the gardens. I can understand not wanting Dreamers Point open while it's overlooking a construction site, and without the central planter open, a lot of the garden paths would terminate in confusing ways.

Bocabear

I Dont Care Whatever GIF
Is this referring to the fountain in the front entry courtyard? If so, it was just a restoration of the original fountain...so not really something "new" just repairing the original. I have not heard of any other new fountain, and nothing for the Communicore courtyard as of yet. There is a "promotional display" planter at the center... but from what I have seen, no additional water features sadly.

Horizonsfan

It’s hard to tell what’s going on with the new central planter of World Celebration. It almost looks like the outermost “band” could be a subtle water feature.

You can see what appears to be water reflection in the area I’ve circled.
IMG_4535.jpeg

Full concept art: https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...ept-art-for-epcot-world-celebration/47340.htm

Still a far cry from the prior design’s fountain, and miles from the original FoN.

DreamfinderGuy

Space 220 was announced at D23 2019...construction began in ~August of 2019. Opened in September 2021, roughly 2 years but probably the quickest turn around for all of the Epcot projects.
Space 220 was announced at D23 2017. Construction began in July 2018. Originally slated to open Winter 2019, delayed two years for a total turnaround time of ~4 years.

Dan Deesnee

Is this referring to the fountain in the front entry courtyard? If so, it was just a restoration of the original fountain...so not really something "new" just repairing the original. I have not heard of any other new fountain, and nothing for the Communicore courtyard as of yet. There is a "promotional display" planter at the center... but from what I have seen, no additional water features sadly.

Yeah sorry that is what I was referring to.

I am excited about the Walt statue. I forgot to mention that addition but no idea when it's going to be installed / unveiled.

Marc Davis Fan

I saw a photo of the area from before those times, and it’s really a shame they… changed it to what it became, and it’s good they are changing it to a greener space.

View attachment 741967
Ahhhhhh what beautiful symmetry… *sigh*

Also, they announced that water was being saved from the FoN to fill the new fountain… while that’s obviously just symbolic, I hope they’re indeed still going through with that, as it would be a touching little continuity with the original “water from around the world.” 😊

James Alucobond

Is that a joke? It's been there forever and even looks to be a bit moldy
I think it was missing for a while since there are pics of Figment’s Fab 50 statue where it’s not present, but I agree that, while my memory of this particular sign is not 100% crystal clear, the color scheme and whirligig design elements are definitely more in keeping with the previous redesign.

DaGoof00

I’m presuming that with the continuously delayed opening of World Celebration, the last four food and wine booths will not be opening and will just quietly die off?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom