News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Bocabear

I still have some hope. Yes, this is part of the new Epcot I was talking about. EPCOT Center is dead. It was killed by those who created it. No denying that. I see Futureworld becoming a futuristic Magic Kingdom. No castle. A more "tech" feel. Much in the vein of what Test Track 2 did to that pavilion. Out went the orange cones and in came blue neon.

I'm hopeful not all the edutainment will go. But it certainly won't get more academic. And I must stress this isn't a complete, full makeover for half the park. There is more to come, yes, but not everything will change.
It just seems so wrong to put the IP into Future World...I mean it's not going to be "Energy with The Guardians Of The Galaxy" like they did with Nemo...this will be a complete and utter departure from the foundation ideas of the park...it is like putting a Wizard Of Oz ride in the Canadian Pavilion... it has nothing to do with anything...a random placement...that would ruin the flow of the World Showcase...so would GOTG ruin the flow of what Future World is...fundamentally

shortstop

Conflicting feelings about this... Anyone else feel like Disney is overestimating the demand for GotG in the parks? It's my favorite Marvel movie they've done yet I have absolutely zero interest in a theme park attraction based on it.

dizneycrazy09

Is there any indication as to what type of pavilion UoE would become to welcome GotG? Are we talking a complete gut of the building with a ride + other space? Will the entire pavilion be themed to GotG or would it be more of a ride featuring the heroes in a more general "galaxy and space" pavilion?

Edit: I meant to direct this at you
@marni1971

dizneycrazy09

Conflicting feelings about this... Anyone else feel like Disney is overestimating the demand for GotG in the parks? It's my favorite Marvel movie they've done yet I have absolutely zero interest in a theme park attraction based on it.

Setting aside location - a GotG ride could be truly unique and amazing if executed properly. The material lends itself to many possibilities.

Bocabear

I really liked the movie alot...but just think this is a stupid knee jerk reaction...about the time they finish destroying Future World, some concept art will surface on the REALLY AMAZING GOTG attraction they are building in Tokyo or Shanghai, and our version will be a repurposed ride made up of pieces of Mr Toad's Wild Ride and Snow White's Scary Adventures...

chiefs11

I still think GotG into RnRC would make more sense. It's such an obvious (and probably cheap) overlay of an existing ride, I'm shocked Disney isn't going that route. It wouldn't really fit on Sunset blvd, but it doesn't really fit in EPCOT either.

dizneycrazy09

I still think GotG into RnRC would make more sense. It's such an obvious (and probably cheap) overlay of an existing ride, I'm shocked Disney isn't going that route. It wouldn't really fit on Sunset blvd, but it doesn't really fit in EPCOT either.

Not sure how accurate what I heard is, but there are different ideas not just for RnRC but for the entire area.

CastleBound

I heard a rumor that MS is changing to G.... no jk I read the thread. haha

I typically try to remain optimistic, but this whole slew of rumors is not making me feel good. I know it's too late and EPCOT hasn't been the same for a long time, but I will sad to see it change and go a different direction. But... I must say I will be excited to see the new direction and hope they are making the best choices for that park and not making choices for DHS or even more MK in EPCOT.

ToTBellHop

If I had to guess, it went like this:

DHS has a capacity issue and cannot afford further downtime. Further, it already has almost $3 bn in new content coming over the next 5 years.

Epcot is in dire state, needs help, and has buildings that can hold a handful of new or updated attractions. Plus, while its current content is stale, the park can certainly limp along for a bit while UoE is closed. So why give the updated overlay to DHS for relatively little bang for your buck (RnRC is popular as-is) when you can add new content at Epcot, make the park feel fresh for the next 10 years, and restore balance between the parks? Maybe they can extend Flower and Garden to 180 days next year, too.

At the end of the day, all four parks in 2021 will be stronger than they were in 2011, and that's a good thing. If we can move past our concerns over breaking with theme, since that just seems to be how Disney plans to run its parks going forward (not that it is okay; it's just the [Disney] world we live in), they actually have fun and impressive new content arriving at all four parks.

Epcot will never be grandiose and awe-inspiring like it was in the 80s, but it will certainly return to being a world-class theme park (perhaps with a necessary change in some of its naming).

I'll take that over my experience last fall, walking past dilapidated, dated rides, smelling beer and pi$$ on the walkways. It felt like I was walking around London.

FigmentJedi

Thanks phoenicians

Just saw the article others alluded to interesting that it talks about rat and tron coming yet I'm pretty sure if I remember correctly both ideas were shot down. As long as insiders and people in the know say Epcot will be world class and better than its been in a while I'll remain excited for whatever else is to come

ToTBellHop

Just saw the article others alluded to interesting that it talks about rat and tron coming yet I'm pretty sure if I remember correctly both ideas were shot down. As long as insiders and people in the know say Epcot will be world class and better than its been in a while I'll remain excited for whatever else is to come
They were. Not to say they weren't discussed. Benefit of the doubt--'s info is just dated.

And to be fair, the rumor mill at WDW has been VERY difficult to nail down over the last year or so. Things vacillate almost daily.

However, budgets and projects are getting final approval which is providing enhanced clarity.

Animaniac93-98

If we can move past our concerns over breaking with theme, since that just seems to be how Disney plans to run its parks going forward (not that it is okay; it's just the [Disney] world we live in)

We should have known when Disney opened a Little Mermaid ride in California Adventure in 2011 that there would be no going back to the days of building rides to support the theme of a given area.

We can at least hope that these new movie-based rides will be good though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is there any indication as to what type of pavilion UoE would become to welcome GotG? Are we talking a complete gut of the building with a ride + other space? Will the entire pavilion be themed to GotG or would it be more of a ride featuring the heroes in a more general "galaxy and space" pavilion?

Edit: I meant to direct this at you
@marni1971
Pretty much yes to all.

ToTBellHop

We should have known when Disney opened a Little Mermaid ride in California Adventure in 2011 that there would be no going back to the days of building rides to support the theme of a given area.

We can at least hope that these new movie-based rides will be good though.
At least they still try to come up with some sort of story that ostensibly fits the area--mostly because I think WDI still has some strong story-tellers that are unfortunately being constantly bombarded with requests for attractions based upon an IP that must be shoe-horned in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom