News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
People who believed in the Architecture of Reassurance. I’m negative because I still believe. I believe that themed entertainment is more than just stupid entertainment for stupid people, that it can be inspiring and aspirational, that it can move thoughtful, curious people to seek out more in the marvelous world in which we live, that we can make a better world.

Very well said. This is what EPCOT Center was for its first decade.

The Empress Lilly

Uh.....what's wrong with Walt's original vision of the Florida project? I thought it was an amazing idea. If it had been built, I think a lot of the cities in the US at least would be dramatically different than today's same old same old.
It's my impression that Walt understood that he had ran out of time, that he thus focused on spewing out ideas rather than on crystalising them out or even giving them a right good basic reality check. But who knows. E.P.C.O.T. wouldn't have been the first planned city / complex built by an eccentric industrialist. Maybe he would have pushed through with his urban experimentation. Maybe in some form or other it could even have worked too. Or maybe he would've dropped it as a fantasm. We'll never know.

The Empress Lilly

People who believed in the Architecture of Reassurance. I’m negative because I still believe. I believe that themed entertainment is more than just stupid entertainment for stupid people, that it can be inspiring and aspirational, that it can move thoughtful, curious people to seek out more in the marvelous world in which we live, that we can make a better world.
Looks like you've found your signature. Your definitive statement!

lazyboy97o

It's my impression that Walt understood that he had ran out of time, that he thus focused on spewing out ideas rather than on crystalising them out or even giving them a right good basic reality check. But who knows. E.P.C.O.T. wouldn't have been the first planned city / complex built by an eccentric industrialist. Maybe he would have pushed through with his urban experimentation. Maybe in some form or other it could even have worked too. Or maybe he would've dropped it as a fantasm. We'll never know.
Like I said, EPCOT really was not a very new idea and many of its ideas are today considered elements of good urban design and planning.

The Empress Lilly

What about Rat?
As somebody who's done Rat four million times, it's a fun, solid ride. Of the kind that's so good that its shortcomings can ultimately be forgiven. It will be a hit.

For my money it should've stayed in DLP, where it has special significance. In Orlando Rat is detrimental to the feel and setting of WS. (Well rather, because EPCOT is gone, it should be said that Rat aids in its transformation to Fantasyland South)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

FYI in the future, bookmark...

Horizons1

As somebody who's done Rat four million times, it's a fun, solid ride. Of the kind that's so good that its shortcomings can ultimately be forgiven. It will be a hit.

For my money it should've stayed in DLP, where it has special significance. In Orlando Rat is detrimental to the feel and setting of WS. (Well rather, because EPCOT is gone, it should be said that Rat aids in its transformation to Fantasyland South)
At least it is tucked into the back of the pavilion where it won’t be seen along the lagoon. However the illusion of being in France with be ruined with the stupid sweat boxes (skyliner) going right above your head.

Horizons1

In a nutshell. Unless it’s exceptional.

There’s some pretty good older school people working on the park overhaul. But as we’ve seen they don’t have a say about everything.
So who is making the decision to disneyfy everything? This whole overhaul seems very confused in its identity. They create an Epcot typeface the mimics the original and bring back the pavilion symbols, as well as create new ones, but then they toss characters into most everything. Yet, The Land gets a new film that while it isn’t the best is pretty free of IP.

Like, what the the overall purpose and why is there no consistency?

Rich Brownn

Thank god they didn’t build what Walt wanted.

To think otherwise shows a huge lack of understanding of E.P.C.O.T.

But it’s okay. Some get it, some don’t.
Exactly. Imagineers quickly figured out building a city with residences eliminated the E, P and T of the city. As someone said (I want to say John Hench, that notable curmudgeon) "You can't experiment with people's lives"

Rich Brownn

Whats wrong? Let's see... if you;';re going to live in a place with experimental, prototype stuff, you have to expect it to fail. Often. (Look at the EVAC system and be thankful that wasn't installed in your house). Imagine getting up in the morning, no shower (the hydro shower is busted. Again). Can't make breakfast because the prototype has decided not to recognize your voice commands. On your way to work your experimental driverless car got lost and shut down. You'd take the PeopleMover, but its down for updates. And so on. That's why the imagineers quickly realized you could not do experimental and prototype stuff in an actual living environment where people depend on stuff to work.

Figments Friend

This.

This is what today's Epcot is missing, and has been missing for the past twenty something years.

A 'wonder table' futuristic festival building is not the answer, Disney.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom