News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

lazyboy97o

By now it would have been so hopelessly dated. Not the apartment interiors but the public realm, the services, the amenities, the built environment. The things that are hard and costly to alter.

The premise and idea was sound. But the execution would have to be carefully timeless in appearance and design.
The urban design of EPCOT was already over half a century old when Walt came across the idea. A lot of it’s basic tenets remain foundational ideas of contemporary urbanism.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The urban design of EPCOT was already over half a century old when Walt came across the idea. A lot of it’s basic tenets remain foundational ideas of contemporary urbanism.
Never said they weren’t or it wasn’t. Like
I said the premise and idea was sound.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The public realm and built design are key elements of the urban design. The places with such a human-oriented focus tend to do well against changing aesthetic tastes.

Those enduring public spaces evolve over time and are not just dropped completed into place. The whole industry of urban design is guilty of hubris in thinking they can account for all changes in society and technology. Fußgängerzonen vs enclosed shopping malls which is currently in decline?

lazyboy97o

Those enduring public spaces evolve over time and are not just dropped completed into place. The whole industry of urban design is guilty of hubris in thinking they can account for all changes in society and technology. Fußgängerzonen vs enclosed shopping malls which is currently in decline?
Successful evolution of successful places rarely involves radical change to the urban form. Slower responses to changing needs, not wholesale renewal.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The entrance will be nice. As is the quality of IDF. And the new CV and Land films are surprisingly mature.
What about Rat? I think I remember you saying you liked the attraction.

Also, if the new festival center is indeed on hold, any chance it gets cancelled and we get something better, even if not the original Communicore West?

The Empress Lilly

People want a greener Disney and Future World. They are even making it part of the theme. "World Nature".
I can't wait for CommuniCore West to be torn down so FW will finally have some trees and water. (But no more air conditioning!)

p-1987-x.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

The key point is being ready to evolve and update. Don't ever put in infrastructure that can't be replaced. Don't know if Walt's plan had that in mind.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What about Rat? I think I remember you saying you liked the attraction.

Also, if the new festival center is indeed on hold, any chance it gets cancelled and we get something better, even if not the original Communicore West?
Sorry, yes Rat will be a plus for the park. I could take it or leave it as an addition (having the one in Paris) but I don’t think it’ll be a detrimental addition. IMHO as always.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's pretty sad that it's at that point. I'm sure WDI has great plans but once someone above them steps in it probably all goes out the window (read as "this is cool but you need to include the following list of properties if you want a budget").
In a nutshell. Unless it’s exceptional.

There’s some pretty good older school people working on the park overhaul. But as we’ve seen they don’t have a say about everything.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yes. I am. I’m not one of the negative, old people saying “ I remember when it was such and such “
Life is to short

I remember when Disney had higher standards, didn't neglect an entire theme park for almost 2 decades, and gave a damn about things not related to movie IP and merchandise synergy in every nook and cranny, per-guest spending, and quarterly profits. I guess that makes me old and negative in your book. Quite frankly, I don't care. I expect more, and I expect better from the company that set the bar high for theme parks, a bar that has been lowered so far it's basically a speed bump these days.

lazyboy97o

I remember when Disney had higher standards, didn't neglect an entire theme park for almost 2 decades, and gave a damn about things not related to movie IP and merchandise synergy in every nook and cranny, per-guest spending, and quarterly profits. I guess that makes me old and negative in your book. Quite frankly, I don't care. I expect more, and I expect better from the company that set the bar high for theme parks, a bar that has been lowered so far it's basically a speed bump these days.
People who believed in the Architecture of Reassurance. I’m negative because I still believe. I believe that themed entertainment is more than just stupid entertainment for stupid people, that it can be inspiring and aspirational, that it can move thoughtful, curious people to seek out more in the marvelous world in which we live, that we can make a better world.

Bocabear

People who believed in the Architecture of Reassurance. I’m negative because I still believe. I believe that themed entertainment is more than just stupid entertainment for stupid people, that it can be inspiring and aspirational, that it can move thoughtful, curious people to seek out more in the marvelous world in which we live, that we can make a better world.
THIS!

trainplane3

In a nutshell. Unless it’s exceptional.

There’s some pretty good older school people working on the park overhaul. But as we’ve seen they don’t have a say about everything.
I meant it exactly as a nutshell. There's for sure much more to it that can't be explained online.

Sort of like how they talk Fitzgerald up as being the big guy. I'm sure he has good ideas but he still has to answer to the powers.

I wish they didn't talk about who's leading it because it shouldn't matter at all. It could be some kid out of college or someone that's been with the company for 50 years. The end result is what matters. Just make it good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom