News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

griffin ferrari

Photo update as of today August 28 foliage clearing from ground level. Photo update as of today August 28 foliage Clarane from ground level

Attachments

• 1005EE90-7CF8-4E3E-98BB-6833DB50FCE0.jpeg
    1005EE90-7CF8-4E3E-98BB-6833DB50FCE0.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 52D0786C-378D-4D03-BC0F-F5E118FE447D.jpeg
    52D0786C-378D-4D03-BC0F-F5E118FE447D.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 1A0BAB69-3895-455C-845F-790EC017C4B2.jpeg
    1A0BAB69-3895-455C-845F-790EC017C4B2.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 150
  • C768110E-2F54-42EB-903A-750E66EE626E.jpeg
    C768110E-2F54-42EB-903A-750E66EE626E.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 123

RSoxNo1

So now that Epcot is changing again, and now that the company has announced a bold vision that’s even more “Disney,” we’re getting a water garden and updated landscaping.

Those are going to be lovely. I’m not complaining.

But with today’s tech, Epcot 2021 should be just as mind-blowing as the park was by ‘89, and instead we’re getting “Fantasyland Expansion #3: Now in a New Park! Still the Magic Kingdom’s biggest expansion of all time!”

Funny to see the hydrolator concept return via Space 220.
What about World Discovery/World Celebration/World Nature says Fantasyland Expansion 3?

Don't get me wrong, I've crapped on the piecemeal approach to "fixing" Epcot for over a decade at this point, but I'm pleased to see things better defined. I'd argue that Future World was always a misnomer for that park and Discovery was more befitting for the front half. We know that Future World East and West had different vibes, all they're doing here is defining it.

As for the actual "attraction" announcements, the Moana addition seems very minimalist on ties to the IP and it appears the emphasis will be on interactivity. Effectively a new way to have the Image Works jumping fountains come to life. I have very little issue with this addition and think it will both look good and scratch that whimsical itch that the pavilion model seems to be current lacking.

The argument here that I feel is more appropriate is that the World Neighborhood model and especially World Nature is blurring the lines between Epcot and the Animal Kingdom. There are common threads between the two, but historically Epcot has always been, "in control" while the "Animal Kingdom" has always allowed nature to take over. I'm curious how the future of World Nature will distinguish itself from the Animal Kingdom.

The Fantasyland Expansion comment could also very well be pointing at the Mary Poppins addition. Simply put though, we don't really know what this is. My objection to a Mary Poppins attraction would be if the attraction is actually about Poppins. Adding Cherry Tree Lane isn't a stretch to this pavilion. Heck, half of the pavilion already looks the part. What I'd object to is a Fantasyland style, book report dark ride that pays no respect to the UK. If it's a Mary Poppins carousel in name only there's very little concern from me there.

tirian

What about World Discovery/World Celebration/World Nature says Fantasyland Expansion 3?

Don't get me wrong, I've crapped on the piecemeal approach to "fixing" Epcot for over a decade at this point, but I'm pleased to see things better defined. I'd argue that Future World was always a misnomer for that park and Discovery was more befitting for the front half. We know that Future World East and West had different vibes, all they're doing here is defining it.

As for the actual "attraction" announcements, the Moana addition seems very minimalist on ties to the IP and it appears the emphasis will be on interactivity. Effectively a new way to have the Image Works jumping fountains come to life. I have very little issue with this addition and think it will both look good and scratch that whimsical itch that the pavilion model seems to be current lacking.

The argument here that I feel is more appropriate is that the World Neighborhood model and especially World Nature is blurring the lines between Epcot and the Animal Kingdom. There are common threads between the two, but historically Epcot has always been, "in control" while the "Animal Kingdom" has always allowed nature to take over. I'm curious how the future of World Nature will distinguish itself from the Animal Kingdom.

The Fantasyland Expansion comment could also very well be pointing at the Mary Poppins addition. Simply put though, we don't really know what this is. My objection to a Mary Poppins attraction would be if the attraction is actually about Poppins. Adding Cherry Tree Lane isn't a stretch to this pavilion. Heck, half of the pavilion already looks the part. What I'd object to is a Fantasyland style, book report dark ride that pays no respect to the UK. If it's a Mary Poppins carousel in name only there's very little concern from me there.
The attitude started with Frozen Ever After and is continuing with Guardians and Ratatouille. I agree that Moana and Poppins aren’t as blatant.

RSoxNo1

The attitude started with Frozen Ever After and is continuing with Guardians and Ratatouille. I agree that Moana and Poppins aren’t as blatant.
I'm not going to argue with that. Frozen Ever After, The Seas with Nemo and Friends and to a lesser extent Gran Fiesta Tour are bad fits. Ratatouille isn't really a Fantasyland ride, IMO and I think it's a better fit for Epcot than the previous 3 I mentioned. Sure, it's not a slam dunk but it's at least tied back to France's food culture.

With Guardians, unless you know a full story treatment I'm inclined to "wait and see". On the surface the IP feels out of place in Epcot, but there are multiple story treatments that would absolutely make it work.

tirian

I'm not going to argue with that. Frozen Ever After, The Seas with Nemo and Friends and to a lesser extent Gran Fiesta Tour are bad fits. Ratatouille isn't really a Fantasyland ride, IMO and I think it's a better fit for Epcot than the previous 3 I mentioned. Sure, it's not a slam dunk but it's at least tied back to France's food culture.

With Guardians, unless you know a full story treatment I'm inclined to "wait and see". On the surface the IP feels out of place in Epcot, but there are multiple story treatments that would absolutely make it work.

I’m actually excited for Poppins and hope we get a proper dark ride based on the original movie, since she’s legitimately an important part of British children’s literature.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Of all the changes to the park I’m most comfortable with Rat. Just my opinion but hey.

Timothy_Q

For me, they setup a framework for Epcot's future at the D23 Expo. This framework could very well be a good thing, but they need to fill that framework with substance in order for it to be successful.
True.

They need to continue after the announced projects are finished.

Ideally:
-New Imagination
-New film for Magic Eye Theater
-Living with the Land update
-The Seas update + addition
-Mission Space replacement with a family-friendly space-themed ride
-A couple more D tickets for WS

Mike S

True.

They need to continue after the announced projects are finished.

Ideally:
-New Imagination
-New film for Magic Eye Theater
-Living with the Land update
-The Seas update + addition
-Mission Space replacement with a family-friendly space-themed ride
-A couple more D tickets for WS
I’d say it’s also time for an E Ticket ride in World Showcase as well.

Casper Gutman

Of all the changes to the park I’m most comfortable with Rat. Just my opinion but hey.
Yup. I actually kind of like appropriate IPs being given rides in WS as long as they fit (Frozen is a stretch) and are worthwhile as rides (looking at you, Poppins).

But all this talk of future improvements, of a new Imagination and Land and Sea redo... all I hear are grim echoes of years of excited chatter about the MGM redo, with three huge new lands, with a Monsters Inc door coaster and an awesome Indy ride and new shows and, and... then reality. One pretty but woefully under-built new land and a couple carnival rides stuck to the side of a rapidly aging Wii game. All the rumors were substantive, the plans for a bright new MGM were drawn up and ready, but when push comes to shove, Disney execs just didn’t think the rubes are worth that kind of investment.

And nothing has changed.

Fairsky

I know it’s been said before, but with no decline in demand and increasing ticket prices every year—I’m not sure Disney execs feel the pressure to invest a penny more than necessary. So, after GotG I wouldn’t expect any more e-ticket rides at Epcot, and certainly not in World Showcase (as wonderful as that would be).

Bocabear

It seems crazy to me to be keeping a temporary tent as event space behind World Showcase, and tearing down beautiful world class architecture...Buildings that already have power, light and infrastructure that could easily be upgraded... The Party For The Senses would be amazing in the old Innoventions building... More room to use, large windows onto the park, showing off the amazing party.. It would actually sell more tickets (though they are currently always at capacity). The end section of the building (Club Cool) could be refitted to be the Festival Center they are building in the center... Add a second and third floor roof garden to the top, and you save the symmetry of the original design...Keeping the park feeling full rather than an empty botanical garden...Re-style the existing buildings to resemble the design of the table top building, Move the Fountain out of the throttle point of the park and into the center... It could be a net gain of more festival space than they are building...

Missing20K

Such as? Not intending to start an argument but I am failing to see any story treatment that would tie into the Epcot's original vision. The "Pavilion" idea seems to be officially dead so all we have left is a queue, pre-show and ride to tell the story, yes? Which leads me to believe it will be a very linear story, with a distinct beginning, middle and end, and not lend itself to personal interpretation or further exploration and discovery in a post-show pavilion environment, helping the guest to investigate the phenomena that was just presented to them on the ride. The point being, I'm not sure how such a linear story treatment, without any sort of post-show interactive area exploring the themes just espoused on the ride portion, lends itself to a story treatment that fits in with the original Epcot vision.

It fits with the new Epcot, because "Discovery" is so vague that it can encompass anything and everything a person has never experienced before.

EDIT: I'm aware Horizons was mostly just a ride.......it's an exception.....and I have no problem making an exception for such an exceptional ride. GotG....prove me wrong. ;)

Timothy_Q

But all this talk of future improvements, of a new Imagination and Land and Sea redo... all I hear are grim echoes of years of excited chatter about the MGM redo, with three huge new lands, with a Monsters Inc door coaster and an awesome Indy ride and new shows and, and... then reality. One pretty but woefully under-built new land and a couple carnival rides stuck to the side of a rapidly aging Wii game. All the rumors were substantive, the plans for a bright new MGM were drawn up and ready, but when push comes to shove, Disney execs just didn’t think the rubes are worth that kind of investment.

And nothing has changed.
At least Epcot's new logo and branding is beautiful, unlike DHS.

I'm holding on to this bit of positivity

Haymarket2008

Yup. I actually kind of like appropriate IPs being given rides in WS as long as they fit (Frozen is a stretch) and are worthwhile as rides (looking at you, Poppins).

And nothing has changed.

You are definitely right and I am nervous, but MGM didn’t have the full rebranding concept Epcot has. And didn’t have the huge announcement and concept art to prove it. A lot more is riding on Epcot.

Casper Gutman

You are definitely right and I am nervous, but MGM didn’t have the full rebranding concept Epcot has. And didn’t have the huge announcement and concept art to prove it. A lot more is riding on Epcot.
But on the other hand, MGM required them to do exactly what they were most inclined to do: stick big IPs into a theme park. It was primed and ready to be the showplace for all of Iger's triumphs, a monument to his acquisitions. It was custom-made for current management. And even then...

Plus, MGM was an incomplete park from the day it opened. Epcot wasn't, and even in its current state demands a whole day to explore.

Plus, WDW management seems very happy with Epcot as festival center. It makes them money. They understand it. They're not going to OK any "new direction" that endangers that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom