News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Yep, I completely agree. :D

Again, I don’t think any long-term fan is disappointed by the aesthetics of Epcot 2021.
Indeedily.

A water garden to teach us about the importance of clean water and the water cycle and conservation. Sounds great. A kiddie play area with Moana that pays lip service to science. Pass.

An intergalactic adventure that inspires, teaches, excites? Awesome, sign me up. A forced Marvel tie in to sell action figures and T-shirts? Pass.
As an aside, everything in every Disney park is Disney. I grew up near WDW. World of Motion is more Disney to me than any cartoon thing in Epcot. Also, World of Motion is IP. Movie IP is narrow, limits imagination, and can destroy theme. That is all.

Was hoping to see you in here saying just this. Disney Imagineering used to create IP. Wonderful inspiring IP. Now, we are about a rabbits turd away from a Puppy Dog Pals Pavilion.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Big. Bold. Imaginative. Forward-thinking. These concepts that EPCOT Center were built on are the complete antithesis of the current "leadership" of TWDC and P&R. The announced changes to Epcot show that beyond a shadow of a doubt. These changes are safe and "de-risked" and show that IP is the only thing that matters anymore, because they can synergize it to drive merchandise sales and along with that, food/beverage sales are placed on a pedestal, because both merch and alcohol are good for profit margins. Originality is frowned upon, because "it's risky". A sad commentary on a company built on creativity.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Big. Bold. Imaginative. Forward-thinking. These concepts that EPCOT Center were built on are the complete antithesis of the current "leadership" of TWDC and P&R. The announced changes to Epcot show that beyond a shadow of a doubt. These changes are safe and "de-risked" and show that IP is the only thing that matters anymore, because they can synergize it to drive merchandise sales and along with that, food/beverage sales are placed on a pedestal, because both merch and alcohol are good for profit margins. Originality is frowned upon, because "it's risky". A sad commentary on a company built on creativity.
Fair.

tirian

Correct. When blind defenders claim “fans don’t want IP in Epcot, and IP is Disney, so tough,” they’re oversimplifying the actual conversation.

Oversimplification is a typical tactic that paints people as “haters” or “lovers” by ignoring context, nuance, and all markers of adult conversation. It’s immature and an unfortunate hallmark of the Internet.

The reality is, anything Disney makes is IP. We know that. We also know that a park with no characters at all is a bad idea—Disney learned that the hard way when EPCOT Center first opened, and Guests couldn’t find Mickey Mouse.

But that doesn’t mean every attraction in every park must be an extension of a recent movie, with cartoon characters slapped on everything. That’s similar to decorating a cake with cheap plastic rings that have character stickers; you can’t compare that to the craft involved in a gorgeous sculpted cake featured on Food Network.

Unfortunately, many fans love the stickers and shout that it’s a matter of opinion and to leave them alone. Okay, but you’re accepting the lowest common denominator instead of getting a work of art.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Correct. When blind defenders claim “fans don’t want IP in Epcot, and IP is Disney, so tough,” they’re oversimplifying the actual conversation.

Oversimplification is a typical tactic that makes paints people as “haters” or “lovers” by ignoring context, nuance, and all markers of adult conversation. It’s immature and an unfortunate hallmark of the Internet.

The reality is, anything Disney makes is IP. We know that. We also know that a park with no characters at all is a bad idea—Disney learned that the hard way when EPCOT Center first opened, and Guests couldn’t find Mickey Mouse.

But that doesn’t mean every attraction in every park must be an extension of a recent movie, with cartoon characters slapped on everything. That’s similar to decorating a cake with cheap plastic rings that have character stickers; you can’t compare that to the craft involved in a gorgeous sculpted cake featured on Food Network.

Unfortunately, many fans love the stickers and shout that it’s a matter of opinion and to leave them alone. Okay, but you’re accepting the lowest common denominator instead of getting a work of art.

My opinion? People don't want that conversation anymore. They just want to walk through the gates/tapstiles, and be mindlessly entertained by some app on their device and some 60-second thrills, and in-between they can go drink and thus think they are having a good time. Thinking and having intelligence is now looked down upon - "Why can't you just be in the moment???" is a gist of many arguments now. Disney no longer aims for nuance and subtlety and context or to make you think (and hasn't for over a decade), they aim for that lowest common denominator, because that makes more money.

trainplane3

My opinion? People don't want that conversation anymore. They just want to walk through the gates/tapstiles, and be mindlessly entertained by some app on their device and some 60-second thrills, and in-between they can go drink and thus think they are having a good time. Thinking and having intelligence is now looked down upon - "Why can't you just be in the moment???" is a gist of many arguments now. Disney no longer aims for nuance and subtlety and context or to make you think (and hasn't for over a decade), they aim for that lowest common denominator, because that makes more money.
They say as they proceed to never put their phone down as they take 20000 pictures of a wall/show/cupcake. Living through a lens.

It seems most in my age group say that yet I constantly get 10 minutes worth of a concert in flipping Snapchat.

*not trying to start a "only my generation"-esque argument*

DisneyDreamerxyz

as a former MouseGear castmember, I really hope they don't gut the place, or change the name just make it look nicer and more modern (you can take the gross old carpet and the very worn-out Pandora jewelry area, for example) It sounds like they will be doing the same thing they did when they changed Centorium to MouseGear and moving the store to the Innoventions space behind Electric Umbrella for who knows how long.

tparris

as a former MouseGear castmember, I really hope they don't gut the place, or change the name just make it look nicer and more modern (you can take the gross old carpet and the very worn-out Pandora jewelry area, for example) It sounds like they will be doing the same thing they did when they changed Centorium to MouseGear and moving the store to the Innoventions space behind Electric Umbrella for who knows how long.
Based on what people have been saying, it will be taking on a much different look.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

You're going to be greatly disappointed.

DanielBB8

As a practical matter, EPCOT's original themes are heavily borrowed and relied on corporate sponsors. Disney didn't attempt to switch those themes away their corporate sponsor origins so essentially they remained advertising for them long after their sponsorships lapsed. So I really don't see how this complaint about EPCOT losing it's original purpose when it was so clear to be the same corporate sponsorships that Disney taken up for itself, which is also very very successful. No one goes to EPCOT to see the latest corporate sponsored whiz bang attraction. They go to see Disney's interpretation of it.

Thus, the problem with Disney's new remodel of EPCOT is the lack of new attractions. Placemaking is a poor substitute. They need kinetic energy in the central plaza. Epcot should have some flat ride spinners to bring people outside instead of mere food and beverage purchasing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thus, the problem with Disney's new remodel of EPCOT is the lack of new attractions. Placemaking is a poor substitute. They need kinetic energy in the central plaza. Epcot should have some flat ride spinners to bring people outside instead of mere food and beverage purchasing.

Flat ride spinners will make them lose their food and beverages.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
There never was an entire pavilion all about cold, hard technology—not even Horizons. I think this myth developed because early EPCOT publicity touted the tech throughout the park, but those were merely the computers that made everything work.

I don't agree. Tech was always heavily represented in any forwarding looking outlook the shows presented. Tech was also heavily represented in the shows in terms of tracking progress.. in fact it was presented as almost synonymous with progress.

WoM showed the evolution of our technology in transportation.. and had outlooks to the future that were very focused on hi-tech
Horizons was sci-fi and showed how we would use technology to harness and populate new exotic places
UoE was about the science and the evolving front of how we were expanding that science of energy to find better ways to capture that energy
SSE tracked the evolution and significance of communications and put technology breakthroughs up on pedestals as key inflection points in our history.. capping off with space and future cities.. all which are very heavy sci-fi/tech
Seas showed us using future tech to live in and harness environments that are inhabitable without future tech
The Land showed how we were using science and emerging ideas to further our abilities
Imagination is the only one that I would say was not tech heavy mainly since it was so abstract and emotion focused.. and lacked that kind of 'look to the future..' sendoff that most other pavilions had
And Communicore was heavy on tech... even if you just look at the delivery format. Touch screens with video on demand... real-time electronic polling.. simulators... robots... computers..

Now, I agree 'tech' wasn't the message the pavilions preached... but they all almost uniformly show tech as the fuel of progress.. and knowledge or society inflections are tied to the use of tech to achieve new things. Many provided future outlooks that were very sci-fi/tech heavy.. and nearly all presentation tools in Communicore, post-shows, etc.. all relied heavily on what were 'leading edge' tech to convey ideas or drive interactions.

FutureWorld tried to celebrate human achievement and give people optimism about the future... but it also very much tied science and technology achievement as the means to move us forward. I think The Land was the only one that got more philosophical with its preaching around conservation and smart use, etc.

You weren't finding philosophical changes in thinking being celebrated as progress.. or emotion... or collaboration. It was what science and technology were enabling and how our world was changing with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom