News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Brer Oswald

I suspect that in 20 years or so, Future World (or whatever they’re calling it) will undergo another major rehaul. It’ll likely be targeted towards the pavilions than the spine.

I don’t imagine Test Track or Guardians will get anything major. SSE will get its usual clean up. Imagination may or may not go through 5.0, depending on whether or not they get 4.0 right. The Land will get small updates, namely Soarin’. Play, Mission: Space, and the Seas will get significant overhauls, the later two keeping their theme, the former forgoing it’s clearly temporary theme with something more interesting.

Hopefully, if the right people are in charge, it’ll be glorious. If not, it may be doomed to repeat the same mistakes the park has been plagued with for awhile.

You want a good mission statement? Since it’s so oftently mistakenly attributed as Walt’s dream park, why don’t you use a quote that is equally misinterpreted as his own words.

“If we can dream it, we can do it.”

That’s what Epcot should be about. Not 2010s Disney films. *sigh*

brihow

Whose got the art showing the kids climbing up on his shoulders... and climbing all over it?
I imagine this being an 'official photo op' with a line and a CM to photograph you next to Walt? I'm probably wrong but that's what I envisioned when I saw this...

brihow

I feel like I'm the only one who is happy with the direction the park is going in. When I started going to Disney about 14 years ago Epcot was my favorite park, after years of neglect and the natural way that a park around innovation cannot innovate fast enough I realized about 5 years ago, Future World was just sad. Refocusing the park on more timeless topics like discovery, nature, and celebration (of the human spirit) futureproofs the park while being more true to what I always thought the original spirit was than what we have now. I'm excited for Epcot's future.
I'm overall very happy. A lot to be excited about and the things I'm not excited about are worth the trade-off. IMO, Epcot has been on life-support and needed serious help and quickly, and is finally getting it.

Casper Gutman

People who are saying you are excited about Epcot’s new direction... what direction is that, exactly? They are tearing down one big, empty, vaguely-defined space to build a new big, empty, vaguely-defined space that is slightly elevated, adding video games to the husk of WoL, IPs to SSE, and renaming Future World in a manner that does very little to define the areas future direction. This is all a continuation of the last decade or so - large, vacant mildew-y spaces, haphazard IP integration, and a complete lack of coherence in the front half of the park. What is the new direction?

Mike S

People who are saying you are excited about Epcot’s new direction... what direction is that, exactly? They are tearing down one big, empty, vaguely-defined space to build a new big, empty, vaguely-defined space that is slightly elevated, adding video games to the husk of WoL, IPs to SSE, and renaming Future World in a manner that does very little to define the areas future direction. This is all a continuation of the last decade or so - large, vacant mildew-y spaces, haphazard IP integration, and a complete lack of coherence in the front half of the park. What is the new direction?
Just taking a guess:

New stuff that isn’t old.

Casper Gutman

Just taking a guess:

New stuff that isn’t old.
But that’s not a “new direction,” it’s just... some stuff.

And what “new stuff” was actually announced in the way of attractions - Moana fountains, Poppins something-or-other, and a major rehaul of the one classic the park has left.

lazyboy97o

Brazil simply was not announced, that is all. Unless something changes, it's still in the works.
It’s been in the works for years.

Retro logos!

Mike S

But that’s not a “new direction,” it’s just... some stuff.

And what “new stuff” was actually announced in the way of attractions - Moana fountains, Poppins something-or-other, and a major rehaul of the one classic the park has left.
It’s obvious there’s more coming. I’m willing to wait and see. I’m intrigued by everything as a whole right now.

We’re not getting EPCOT Center back.

tirian

You are not alone. There are loud voices on here that are making the most noise. It was definitely super cool being 6-10 years old in the late 80s going to EPCOT Center. I have fond memories exploring the technology exhibits in Communicore and seeing space outfit Mickey.

However it’s 2019 and the landscape of personal technology is completely different. I’m a VP in technology for an advertising company in charge of supporting 250+ people. Tech has changed dramatically over the past 10 years. Disney tried to keep up the exhibits with Innoventions but I believe they couldn’t possibly match the iOS and android devices we all carry with us. Having sample Xbox or PlayStation games or “how to recycle” activities is silly now that you have a gaming device in your pocket.

Do I think Mission to Space < Horizons? Of course I do. Am I furious with the state of Imagination pavilion? Yes. At the same time I understand why they are doing what they announced and like others have said, it’s exciting to me because of how crappy the current experience is in Future World.

If you want to get upset about something it’s the insane increase in costs to enjoy these parks over the past 10 years. That’s the real issue. But if you hate all these changes don’t go. I’ll be there and in between trips I’ll be enjoying the new Star Wars and Marvel movies as well as streaming Disney +

I agree with everything you’ve said here, except (as many of us have pointed out): EPCOT Center was never “about technology.” That was laced throughout Communicore and Horizons, but rarely the point of anything. Horizons emphasized dreaming about our future, and even the GE references were low-key. EPCOT Center focused on the wonders of discovering our world, and it was built by a very different company with more transparent motives.

Epcot’s Future World has been dying for about a decade, and WDI could theoretically usher in a new era. However, I don’t see a Guardians coaster or a Play pavilion as a bold new direction for anything. In fact, nothing they announced at D23 indicates an actual direction other than beautiful landscaping.

rudyjr13

I agree with everything you’ve said here, except (as many of us have pointed out): EPCOT Center was never “about technology.” That was laced throughout Communicore and Horizons, but rarely the point of anything. Horizons emphasized dreaming about our future, and even the GE references were low-key. EPCOT Center focused on the wonders of discovering our world, and it was built by a very different company with more transparent motives.

Epcot’s Future World has been dying for about a decade, and WDI could theoretically usher in a new era. However, I don’t see a Guardians coaster or a Play pavilion as a bold new direction for anything. In fact, nothing they announced at D23 indicates an actual direction other than beautiful landscaping.

I’m getting hung up on “bold new direction” because nowhere was that in the cards. Our insiders nailed these updates over the past few weeks. Refreshing stale elements while adding the IP where they can because they can and they think most people want more of it. I think as a collective, those of us on this board are expecting too much from this Disney company. I’m looking on the bright side and will look forward to enjoying the refreshed areas.

Casper Gutman

It’s obvious there’s more coming. I’m willing to wait and see. I’m intrigued by everything as a whole right now.

We’re not getting EPCOT Center back.
Why is that obvious? And what about the current projects is intriguing?

As a side note, I agree that we’re not getting EPCOT Center back - but I’m not sure why folks keep repeating that as a sort of defense of the new “direction.” It’s kind of like saying, “look, yes, I accidentally chopped off your thumb while trying to juggle cleavers blindfolded with no practice, but you need to stop using that fact to question my judgement and cast doubt on the wisdom of my future choices. Your thumb isn’t coming back.”

ChillSeaker

I never expected a return of Horizons or even Journey into Imagination, but is it too much to expect respect for the concept of EPCOT? Can we rework and try partnering with companies like SpaceX or Apple to find possible solutions to the problems we face in this world? Is it too much to ask that IP be kept in other parks and hope remain in the park that was supposed to point the way? Right now it just seems like the company is ready to give up and up charge.

Mike S

Why is that obvious? And what about the current projects is intriguing?
1st question: Because of insiders we know there’s more.

2nd question: SSE looks like a cool upgrade which I don’t think is going to be as IP infused as people fear because Bob wouldn’t have missed the chance to say it would be, Guardians seems like it’s going to be very fun, Space 220 looks very cool, the new multi level festival space is going to be a great addition even just to look at let alone go inside, the new gardens look great even the Moana area even though it’s IP, a new movie to finally replace Circle of Life should be neat along with the new China and Canada films, Cherry Tree Lane will be fun to see but like everyone else I’m waiting to see what the attraction will actually be, and finally the new lagoon shows sound great too. Then we have the rumors of Imagination, a possible new country, and Coco.

RoysCabin

Despite what we hear about in this subset of Disney guys, it seems that most people DO want more of it.

And between the four parks in Florida those folks already have tons and tons and tons of it.

It'd just be nice to see WDI get back to trying to wow people with concepts and experiences nobody had thought about before. They can do that while still expanding Fantasyland and making Studios into a sort of mini Islands of Adventure.

I feel like I'm the only one who is happy with the direction the park is going in. When I started going to Disney about 14 years ago Epcot was my favorite park, after years of neglect and the natural way that a park around innovation cannot innovate fast enough I realized about 5 years ago, Future World was just sad. Refocusing the park on more timeless topics like discovery, nature, and celebration (of the human spirit) futureproofs the park while being more true to what I always thought the original spirit was than what we have now. I'm excited for Epcot's future.
I’m happy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom