News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

RSoxNo1

Maybe. But not a second roller coaster in the dark right next to the first.
Doesn't have to be a coaster. I'd happily take a Guardians dark ride in Tomorrowland.

If I had my choice on the Future World/Epcot redo it would take some of the non-movie IPs from the Magic Kingdom that are Disney staples. Carousel of Progress, Space Mountain and "it's a small world" would be a logical start in my mind. For Tomorrowland this opens up all sorts of futuristic possibilities using IPs like Guardians, Tron and Big Hero 6.

FigmentJedi

Doesn't have to be a coaster. I'd happily take a Guardians dark ride in Tomorrowland.

If I had my choice on the Future World/Epcot redo it would take some of the non-movie IPs from the Magic Kingdom that are Disney staples. Carousel of Progress, Space Mountain and "it's a small world" would be a logical start in my mind. For Tomorrowland this opens up all sorts of futuristic possibilities using IPs like Guardians, Tron and Big Hero 6.
Progress and Small World moving to Epcot makes sense with the park's roots in the World's Fair, but Space Mountain just doesn't fit that well into Epcot at all.

RSoxNo1

Progress and Small World moving to Epcot makes sense with the park's roots in the World's Fair, but Space Mountain just doesn't fit that well into Epcot at all.
Why doesn't Space Mountain fit in Epcot? It's a better fit than the two major attractions that have been announced and at least three more that are already there.

It's a Space themed attraction not tied to a movie based intellectual property, why doesn't it belong in the science and discovery park?

FigmentJedi

Why doesn't Space Mountain fit in Epcot? It's a better fit than the two major attractions that have been announced and at least three more that are already there.

It's a Space themed attraction not tied to a movie based intellectual property, why doesn't it belong in the science and discovery park?
Because it's set in a space fantasy world with aliens and hyperspace jumps and rocketships that have no visible life support mechanisms that let you breath in space.

On the "Sliding Scale of Sci-Fi Hardness", Space Mountain's super soft compared to Epcot.

RSoxNo1

Because it's set in a space fantasy world with aliens and hyperspace jumps and rocketships that have no visible life support mechanisms that let you breath in space.
Apparently someone has never heard of the "Invisible Oxygen Dome". We need to be able to accept a certain level of creative freedom when making theme park attractions. Is the Invisible Oxygen Dome any less ridiculous than some of the "visions of the future" we saw in Horizons or World of Motion? It's certainly not as far fetched as putting Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot. That's taking a much bigger creative leap.

FigmentJedi

Apparently someone has never heard of the "Invisible Oxygen Dome". We need to be able to accept a certain level of creative freedom when making theme park attractions. Is the Invisible Oxygen Dome any less ridiculous than some of the "visions of the future" we saw in Horizons or World of Motion? It's certainly not as far fetched as putting Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot. That's taking a much bigger creative leap.
Horizons is divided into two acts of "Look at these whimsical and sometimes crazy ideas of the future we used to have" and "Let's look at what we could potentially achieve in the next century with our advancing technology". World of Motion didn't really do much crazy future prediction stuff beyond the future city at the end. You're comparing Apples to Loranges here.

Throwing Space Mountain into Epcot "because it takes place in space" is the sort of thinking that got us Guardians or stuff like Splashtacular or that Circus thing that called regular Elephants "Space Mastodons"

RSoxNo1

Horizons is divided into two acts of "Look at these whimsical and sometimes crazy ideas of the future we used to have" and "Let's look at what we could potentially achieve in the next century with our advancing technology". World of Motion didn't really do much crazy future prediction stuff beyond the future city at the end. You're comparing Apples to Loranges here.

Throwing Space Mountain into Epcot "because it takes place in space" is the sort of thinking that got us Guardians or stuff like Splashtacular or that Circus thing that called regular Elephants "Space Mastodons"
Why doesn't Space Mountain count as a whimsical and sometimes crazy future of Space Travel? The Post Show certainly qualifies. Is it because the attraction takes itself too seriously? If Space Mountain didn't exist and you had Future World of 1995 and before (presumably what we're fighting for here) or Tomorrowland of today. Where would you place it? For me, it would go into Future World and I wouldn't think twice about it. For me, Tomorrowland has properly evolved into the futuristic worlds found in Disney properties. Future World should be something different. If that's discovery, great. If that's futuristic living grounded in reality, great. But either way, I feel Space Mountain is a better fit in Future World than Tomorrowland.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Maybe Futureworld doesn't need a rollercoaster?

(Assuming you aren't desperate enough to drop to appealing to the lowest common denominator in an attempt to boost attendance)

I'll rephrase that. Futureworld didn't need a rollercoaster. Nowerdays it bares scant resemblance to the area known as Futureworld.

montyz81

Maybe Futureworld doesn't need a rollercoaster?

(Assuming you aren't desperate enough to drop to appealing to the lowest common denominator in an attempt to boost attendance)

I'll rephrase that. Futureworld didn't need a rollercoaster. Nowerdays it bares scant resemblance to the area known as Futureworld.
What is the genesis for sponsors lack of participation in Epcot anymore? (That is what Futureworld was built on and the reason why it doesn't resemble FW anymore.) Is it a market driven thing, or was Disney just not as interested in pursuing sponsors to tag rides and exhibits? It just seems like within a 10 -15 year period, they all just died off but in a way that Disney forced them out. Almost like nobody bought in to project Genesis and the only way Disney could get it done was to force them out or not renew their contracts.

No Name

What is the genesis for sponsors lack of participation in Epcot anymore? (That is what Futureworld was built on and the reason why it doesn't resemble FW anymore.) Is it a market driven thing, or was Disney just not as interested in pursuing sponsors to tag rides and exhibits? It just seems like within a 10 -15 year period, they all just died off but in a way that Disney forced them out. Almost like nobody bought in to project Genesis and the only way Disney could get it done was to force them out or not renew their contracts.

The internet.

Obviously there's more to it but that's where I'd put the bulk of the blame. There are so many ways to get your name and message out there today that companies don't see as much value in dishing out millions on a theme park attraction. Granted, the automobile industry and a few others still do.

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

Why doesn't Space Mountain count as a whimsical and sometimes crazy future of Space Travel? The Post Show certainly qualifies. Is it because the attraction takes itself too seriously? If Space Mountain didn't exist and you had Future World of 1995 and before (presumably what we're fighting for here) or Tomorrowland of today. Where would you place it? For me, it would go into Future World and I wouldn't think twice about it. For me, Tomorrowland has properly evolved into the futuristic worlds found in Disney properties. Future World should be something different. If that's discovery, great. If that's futuristic living grounded in reality, great. But either way, I feel Space Mountain is a better fit in Future World than Tomorrowland.
A new, improved Space Mountain would look nice where the abandoned WOL pallivion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom