News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There was one scene I still remember from "If You Had Wings," from way back in 1980. There was a screen near the end (early attempt at super-speed tunnel?) that had footage of zooming down a runway and taking off on a loop. Martin has a tribute:

(thanks as always) but the scene is hard to make out. I remember being tilted back slightly for added effect, but my memory may be wrong on that. As a seven year old who had just been on his first actual flight (Eastern) and really enjoyed the take-off and landing, this crude bit of simulation made this a re-ride for me. It and its successor were both pleasant diversions with short waits even in the Summer. I'd enjoy one more trip as a nostalgic adult, but I'd put them really low on the list of rides I'd like to revisit.

As a side note, this jogged a memory. My older brother (who was not much of a Disney fan) was talked into going down with his friends after graduation. He told me that some new ride just opened and that they were at the ribbon cutting and were one of the first to ride. I had read all about "Delta Dreamflight" in the Disney Magazine, and was sad to hear he was both unimpressed with the ride and failed to appreciate what I saw as an incredibly lucky break.

Ouch. That's an embarrassingly old one! I'll have to do a new one :D

sedati

Ouch. That's an embarrassingly old one! I'll have to do a new one :D
I'll be one of the first to watch if you do. Sadly, the brother I mentioned wasn't one for taking photos, so I have nothing new to offer as far as his opening day Dreamflight experience.
Do you have any knowledge on if that takeoff scene at the end of If You Had Wings actually reclined you at all or was possibly on an incline. I have a distinct memory of a physical sensation that went along with that scene but question its accuracy due to my young age.
Thanks again for the video.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'll be one of the first to watch if you do. Sadly, the brother I mentioned wasn't one for taking photos, so I have nothing new to offer as far as his opening day Dreamflight experience.
Do you have any knowledge on if that takeoff scene at the end of If You Had Wings actually reclined you at all or was possibly on an incline. I have a distinct memory of a physical sensation that went along with that scene but question its accuracy due to my young age.
I want to agree, but can't say for certain. I do recall track side fans blowing wind at you in the speed tunnel.

bclane

I loved If You Had Wings as a kid and also think I remember it leaning back slightly.

*Q*

I can’t speak towards If You Had Wings specifically, but I absolutely remember the ride vehicles leaning back during that scene on Dreamflight.

sedati

I can’t speak towards If You Had Wings specifically, but I absolutely remember the ride vehicles leaning back during that scene on Dreamflight.
I didn't make it onto Astro Blasters this time, so it's been ages- does this reclining effect occur on that ride? I'm not sure if any modifications were made to the track for that overlay.

trainplane3

Ron Schneider mentioned that an Imagination redo had a budget for 200 million very recently, but again, it was cutback in favor of some of the other stuff going into Epcot.

Around the 11 minute mark

Hearing him tear into the current version is just great.
- Is the message from Imagination gone?
- Oh ya, it's gone!

But hearing him drop the budget info like that is pretty curious. Still though, hearing his passion for Epcot Center and JII is great to hear. It's a shame the park is a mess compared to then.

bclane

Ron Schneider mentioned that an Imagination redo had a budget for 200 million very recently, but again, it was cutback in favor of some of the other stuff going into Epcot.

Around the 11 minute mark

Wow I loved his rant on the whole screen based ride discussion and how he was actually in support of them. I mean I agree 100% with what he said. While FoP is currently my favorite ride (because the feeling of flight is so overwhelming realistic for me), I would probably prefer future screen based rides to be more like Spider-Man where they are seamlessly blended with physical sets. Anyway, thanks for posting that.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Wow I loved his rant on the whole screen based ride discussion and how he was actually in support of them. I mean I agree 100% with what he said. While FoP is currently my favorite ride (because the feeling of flight is so overwhelming realistic for me), I would probably prefer future screen based rides to be more like Spider-Man where they are seamlessly blended with physical sets. Anyway, thanks for posting that.

I honestly have no issue with screens either if it's used to make a good attraction rather than laziness (as is often the case at Uni)... FoP is a great example, as is Soarin.

Magic Feather

Any word on the fate of the CommuniCore buildings? Or any recent updates of interest you can share? Seems to have gone quiet on the Future World front. @marni1971 @Magic Feather @MansionButler84
As of now, only Guardians and the Dining: Space are fully approved. Communicrossroads is practically greenlit, but in design purgatory. The only other pavillion that could have a change by 2021 (barring a last minute "IP-rovement" based on something kewl and fresh at Imagination or Seas) would be the Land. As for Spaceship, Seas, and Imagination, they will each get their reno in due time (pre-2030, post-2021, and in the order listed). Also, unless Guardians takes-off in more ways than are on the blueprints and price tag, Festival Center will live on.

Tayoboy

In the Parks
Yes
As of now, only Guardians and the Dining: Space are fully approved. Communicrossroads is practically greenlit, but in design purgatory. The only other pavillion that could have a change by 2021 (barring a last minute "IP-rovement" based on something kewl and fresh at Imagination or Seas) would be the Land. As for Spaceship, Seas, and Imagination, they will each get their reno in due time (pre-2030, post-2021, and in the order listed). Also, unless Guardians takes-off in more ways than are on the blueprints and price tag, Festival Center will live on.
Geez, Imagination will possibly be the last pavilion to get a reno, they really dont know what to do with it huh.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Geez, Imagination will possibly be the last pavilion to get a reno, they really dont know what to do with it huh.
I think it's less that they don't know what to do with it, and more about struggling to figure out which IP works best...which is a total shame since they clearly have the best IP in Figment and Dreamfinder just waiting around...but this is what happens when you have the wrong people in charge.

Tayoboy

In the Parks
Yes
Do you know what kind of reno we could see for the seas?

trainplane3

I think it's less that they don't know what to do with it, and more about struggling to figure out which IP works best...which is a total shame since they clearly have the best IP in Figment and Dreamfinder just waiting around...but this is what happens when you have the wrong people in charge.
I was typing a response to this but, that's basically how I feel too.

Imagination can be last on the list as long as they do it right. And if a (movie) IP absolutely has to replace Figment, then I hope it's a well thought out and executed one and not just a "quick" Frozen situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom