Big Ball wand hate? Why?

Laura

Premium Member
I used to consider myself indifferent about the wand, but now that I have read this entire thread (though, I must admit, I didn't get some of the posts), I would like to announce that I, too, hate the wand.

Aw...more Big Ball wand hatred in the world. :( Poor Big Ball wand. :(

Tim G

Would you stick LEDs on the Mona Lisa?
Yep!
Would you glue a sculpted hat onto Michelangelo's David?
Yep!!
Would a scrolling text display across the belly of the Venus De Milo enhance its appearance?
Yep!!!
Would the Sistine Chapel's ceiling look better with integrated Plasma screens?
Yep!!!!
Would you put plastic legs on the pyramids in Egypt?
Yep!!!! Even that...
You get the general idea. ;)
Oh yes, I get it :D... People say I'm very intelligent but I don't know what that means... :lookaroun

Brian_B

Okay I have to ask, why all the hate on the Epcot wand? I just completed my first trip to WDW. I like the wand. So please enlighten me and share why all the hate on the wand?

It ruins the original intent of the design, it's tacky, gaudy, completely unnecessary (would you want a sign on the castle that says "magic kingdom"), completely out of league with the futurist theme of epcot, and distracting. The original look of the Geosphere was much better without it:

Before, driving around property you'd see Spaceship Earth from Epcot Center drive and it would look awesome - because you couldn't see anything else. It was the ultimate 'weinie' as walt used to say. There was an air of mystery. The wand destroys that by giving the game away. It looks absolutely TERRIBLE from any angle other than straight-on as you enter the park. You can see these horrible exposed girders and such, making it look like a giant crane, like Spaceship Earth is always under construction. It looks half-finished. The inherent magic in seeing spaceship earth from outside the park is ruined because you can tell exactly how the park is oriented. That's not the whole point of our collective dissent, but it's a factor to me.

Plus, it's a sign of the times. I don't want to say "nowadays" because I actually think it's coming back around, but for awhile the magic seemed forced. They seemed to think it was possible to create disney magic by festooning things with sparklies and wands and fairy dust and giant mickey hands. Disney magic is more than the sum of it's parts: memories of good times had by close friends and family in the parks, while on vacation. The parks facilitate the magic by providing a special place that tells a lot of stories; a place that is fun, unique and entertaining. For many it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. That's what the magic is all about, not sequins and sparkly stars.

Enough ranting.

Laura

Premium Member
aaahhhhh KING of big balls and wand

:lookaroun

waiting for mods to catch up to this thread

Throw that in your custom title. Be proud.

I think the mods would prefer this nonsense over everyone bickering about if the wand sux or not. Cuz that's boring. :D

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Throw that in your custom title. Be proud.

I think the mods would prefer this nonsense over everyone bickering about if the wand sux or not. Cuz that's boring. :D
just for you flem spitting girl.... that should gives more reason for people the PM me asking what that means as apposed to just PMing me about my avatar and if its real, can we have to artwork for a tshirt and the best.... can i use that as mu avatar too.

:rolleyes:

changing now. wand... opps 40 now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom