"Big" Apple announcement may involve Disney

Voxel

President of Progress City
iOS 8 will have a new language for game developers that takes full advantage of the 3D 64-bit graphics and gaming accelerator hardware found in the A7 and A8 processors.
Please don't talk about something if you have no clue what it actually does or means. Or atleast do some research first

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Please don't talk about something if you have no clue what it actually does or means. Or atleast do some research first
I know what I'm talking about. I saw the presentation a few months ago about the new language at the iOS 8 developer's conference. Why would you make such a comment? I wouldn't have answered it otherwise.

EDIT - I could have gotten into all the technical jargon of what an API is, but I tried to simplify it the best I could without having to explain how an OS works and what all the various components do.

Last edited:

s8film40

There it is again. "Oh, you did this already? Let me do it so people will actually use it." :rolleyes:
This pretty much sums up every great innovation throughout history.

Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile but he made it accessible to more people. Walt Disney didn't invent the theme park but he did it in a way that was more appealing to people.

Anyone can create a product to make a great spec sheet, all you do is buy the components you want and throw them all together. The really talented and creative people can make a PRODUCT that people can actually use. This is the big driving focus of Apple. This is why it sometimes appears that Apple "falls behind" their competitors, because they're not focusing on the spec sheet instead they're focusing on the product as a whole. Being the first to put one piece of technology into something is completely pointless if you haven't figured out how to make it useful to the end user.

It's also interesting to me that the Android user fan base can be so quick to say we had this first in our phones when ironically if it wasn't for the iPhone Android phones probably wouldn't even exist. I think competition is good and if your happy with an Android great, but atleast respect and understand that the technology your using was made possible because of what Apple did.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This pretty much sums up every great innovation throughout history.

Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile but he made it accessible to more people. Walt Disney didn't invent the theme park but he did it in a way that was more appealing to people.

Anyone can create a product to make a great spec sheet, all you do is buy the components you want and throw them all together. The really talented and creative people can make a PRODUCT that people can actually use. This is the big driving focus of Apple. This is why it sometimes appears that Apple "falls behind" their competitors, because they're not focusing on the spec sheet instead they're focusing on the product as a whole. Being the first to put one piece of technology into something is completely pointless if you haven't figured out how to make it useful to the end user.

It's also interesting to me that the Android user fan base can be so quick to say we had this first in our phones when ironically if it wasn't for the iPhone Android phones probably wouldn't even exist. I think competition is good and if your happy with an Android great, but atleast respect and understand that the technology your using was made possible because of what Apple did.
Everything you are saying is correct, but you do have to admit that Apple has a substantial cult following that falls in love with any and every product they put out no matter how good or bad it actually is.

Voxel

I know what I'm talking about. I saw the presentation a few months ago about the new language at the iOS 8 developer's conference. Why would you make such a comment? I wouldn't have answered it otherwise.

EDIT - I could have gotten into all the technical jargon of what an API is, but I tried to simplify it the best I could without having to explain how an OS works and what all the various components do.
What bothered me is you called metal a language which is far from true. :). I know you were trying to simplify it but calling it a language is making it something it's not. It uses swift and objective-c. (Strangely enough c++ for the shaders)
:p. I had to call you out on it
It's also not a game development code, what it does is allows a. Streamline connection between OpenGL ES (I don't typically us OpenGL on iOS so it may be full gl now) and the GPU. There is more goin on here under the hood but that's the gist.
Source: apple developer references and forums

Voxel

All
Everything you are saying is correct, but you do have to admit that Apple has a substantial cult following that falls in love with any and every product they put out no matter how good or bad it actually is.
All I am gonna say. Pippin. The apple product even the cultist forgot about

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I want one for giggles but it was bad. Like virtual boy bad. I think the only made 10 games if that. Apple refuses to awknowledge atleast apple awknowledge a the newton and those old machines
I don't know what it is, but Apple has always seemed to fumble the ball when they try to enter the gaming market. The only real exception is the iPhone.

Beholder

Thing is, nearly everything has/had a cult following. Car makes, gun manufacturers, game consoles, sports teams, movies, anything where a group of people can claim a certain exclusivity or "expert" knowledge. If it allows an ownership or reasonable expectation of being "different" or on the fringes, then it will have it's devotees. Regardless of how mainstream it is. In the 80's (I'm dating myself here) I was (am) a big Maiden fan. Thought I was in this small group of people who were privy to this secret Metal knowledge. Never mind the fact that millions of kids had the exact same idea. It's all good though.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Premium Member
Thing is, nearly everything has/had a cult following. Car makes, gun manufacturers, game consoles, sports teams, movies, anything where a group of people can claim a certain exclusivity or "expert" knowledge. If it allows an ownership or reasonable expectation of being "different" or on the fringes, then it will have it's devotees. Regardless of how mainstream it is. In the 80's (I'm dating myself here) I was (am) a big Maiden fan. Thought I was in this small group of people who were privy to this secret Metal knowledge. Never mind the fact that millions of kids had the exact same idea. It's all good though.

Eddie had that kind of hold on a lot of us;)

bhg469

iphones are definitely catching up.
The iPhone 6 has about the same specs as Nexus 4. But at least they are showing signs of being open to change. That alone gives me hope for Apple.
Even galaxy phones get too much credit. Nokia had NFC on phones before anyone.
The note 3 doesn't support tap to pay at all.
Android L takes a page right out of Apple with its new display and notification menus.
HTC One has a finger print scanner.
They all copy each other.

As far as the apple Watch being revolutionary... Can't say I agree or disagree.
Most tech reviews I've read all found it hard to justify the $100 up charge over other smart watches. (And that's just for the smaller base model, no word on the price for the larger or upgraded watches.)
I think the apple watch has its unnecessary gimmicks (like viewing the solar system on a watch, why?)
But for a first watch its good.
But the Moto 360 and Lg G watch R are top notch.

I applaud you for a very unbiased and intelligent post. I am very biased but I agree with you 100% .

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Soooo..... Disney is now level with Subway and McDonald's?

Hardly a huge announcement. There again the network given "exclusive" access (aside from anyone with an iOS or OX device) were bound to spin it for all the PR hype they could.

ABQ

Soooo..... Disney is now level with Subway and McDonald's?

Hardly a huge announcement. There again the network given "exclusive" access (aside from anyone with an iOS or OX device) were bound to spin it for all the PR hype they could.
That's true, however, and though I certainly could have missed it, I didn't notice Disney nor ABC really hyping this announcement. Did they?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Quite correct, I have just never subscribed to the myopic "fanboy" way of thinking.

While there are brands I tend to favor, it is solely because I believe I get what I pay for. Once that ends, so does the loyalty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom