News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

aladdin2007

That... makes... sense. Oof, but that suggests their goal is to keep the ride as mediocre as possible to not generate too many crowds.

I love the Caballeros, and as someone of Latin descent I had the VHS and watched it plenty in childhood, but El Rio del Tiempo (while being incoherent to the average guest) had a lot of detail to look at. Gran Fiesta Tour simplified things to the point of much of the things to see being a quick animation followed by nothing as you wait, sometimes with the animation repeating before your eyes. I wish they got something better, so I hoped for Coco as a new try and forgot until these recent comments that while I was hoping for this in the moment we had the Brazil pavilion speeding toward possibility to take them into its loving arms.

Oh... Then the answer is simple. Swap them. The queue space and the final stretch of the ride would be a nice, large space for La Cava del Tequila while starting a new queue in the current La Cava entrance (which is conveniently right by the bottom of the entry ramp) provides access to the expansion pad. Run the boats backwards in front of the restaurant or have that be the ending.

But, honestly, this is more because I love La Cava and would love to see it more easily accessible. I would rather the expansion pad be used for a pavilion, but as was mentioned there's not a whole lot of chance of the Frozen expansion going away any time soon.
emergency access road between mexico and frozen meetngreet, they cant just expand out, besides its services and delivery area for mexico etc. anyway back to big thunder..

Nickm2022

I also think a big plus of Iger visting the areas soon to be devolped is he can see the size of the land and ask himself questions like "is this major plot of land behind thunder really a good fit for Zootopia and Cars?" and hopefully realise it's not lol. But in all seriousness it's a good thing that he's kinda required to do this, because again it helps him decide which proposal best fits the area/land he just saw.

I also think him seeing EPCOT's new additions is a wake up call you need to spend money to get good results and not cheap out. That's how you get the Chapek stuff that currently just opened. Ie: TBA and EPCOT's pit

lazyboy97o

emergency access road between mexico and frozen meetngreet, they cant just expand out, besides its services and delivery area for mexico etc. anyway back to big thunder..
Those roads can be shifted.

I also think a big plus of Iger visting the areas soon to be devolped is he can see the size of the land and ask himself questions like "is this major plot of land behind thunder really a good fit for Zootopia and Cars?" and hopefully realise it's not lol. But in all seriousness it's a good thing that he's kinda required to do this, because again it helps him decide which proposal best fits the area/land he just saw.

I also think him seeing EPCOT's new additions is a wake up call you need to spend money to get good results and not cheap out. That's how you get the Chapek stuff that currently just opened. Ie: TBA and EPCOT's pit
Where is he seeing this from? Who do you think would be requiring him to do this?

Iger is the one who wanted a much more expensive Epcot overhaul, one that would have been significantly worse for most guests.

Nickm2022

Those roads can be shifted.

Where is he seeing this from? Who do you think would be requiring him to do this?

Iger is the one who wanted a much more expensive Epcot overhaul, one that would have been significantly worse for most guests.
It's not required legally but rather mean that there's no way the board or Iger would sign off on spending billions of dollars until they see where, and choose how.

And with the EPCOT overhaul I never said it would have been better or worse for guests, but at least it would have been a completed vision and not the budget cut, last minute redone, cheap fixed, mixed redo we ended up getting (for World Celebration) IMO

Nickm2022

Tom Sawyer Island has had its time. I think it should remain in Disneyland, but the Magic Kingdom version could easily be reworked to something more popular for today's audiences.
If they did redo it it would probably be called (insert IP name)'s Adventure, with Adventure shop, and Adventure restaurant, not to be confused with Adventureland, or Adventure World, or Tiana's Bayou Adventure, or California Adventure, or Adventure's by Disney.

JoeCamel

If they did redo it it would probably be called (insert IP name)'s Adventure, with Adventure shop, and Adventure restaurant, not to be confused with Adventureland, or Adventure World, or Tiana's Bayou Adventure, or California Adventure, or Adventure's by Disney.
I understand adventure tourism is hot right now.......

GenChi

Or…they retrofit Mexico with a Coco ride expand the queue, and the 3 cabs instead anchor a brand new Brazil pavillion where Jose shows his friends the wonder of Brazil and we also get a churrascaria (Brazilian Steakhouse.). Win:Win and my #1 preference (but the MK plan is ok too, it’s just I want a churrascaria and new Epcot pavillion more.)

In the ideal world where they didn't care for budget (and the boat ride could be restructured) this would be the move that makes everyone happy. Wouldn't realistically happen, they'd get as far as redoing the queue before deciding they are over budget and just start throwing Coco animation on the screens and canning the rest. Which makes the MK plan the best feasible option by far. Want Brazil bad though.

I don't think people would care that much about Coco if they just made Three Caballeros better. Coco is just viewed as an opportunity to revise the existing ride since WDW seems largely allergic to sweeping enhancements for whatever reason.

Coco would have the same issue GFT (and recently Tiana) had, trying to fit a story into a preexisting structure that it wasn't made for, with likely a lot of recycling. GFT has enough chaotic goofy energy to make it work, but don't think a Coco retheme would match expectations. Building up of a new structure based around its strengths in MK is going to make a so much better Coco ride.

Also, they are eventually going to revisit GFT. Not only age, but they did not make appropriate VA choices. They do far better VA casting for the birds now but the GFT casting was a 2000s era choice they'll want to move on from. They'd likely do a video and maybe overall revamp at that point. That being if this theme stays, and if Coco at MK happens it's likely staying for the long haul

Tha Realest

Don’t forget the Disney Adventure, sailing in 2025…

999th Happy Haunt

Here's one:

Criticizing Hondo in the Falcon ride because 'no one knows him.'

Meanwhile, he most certainly was able to bypass the queue in which the PA banter introduces the type of person Hondo is. And also... every old-school non-IP ride was full of characters we don't know. E.g. imagine criticizing DINOSAUR because "no one knows who Seeker is!!".
To back up Shull, the PA banter in line might be the most cringe performance in a Disney park. I want to strangle the doofus-sounding character.

RSoxNo1

I would be happy to see Mexico expanded with a Coco attraction (even if neither of those things is my particular interest), but if there’s going to be major new infrastructure in World Showcase I would really love an entirely new pavilion— Brazil, India, Indonesia, Egypt, Nigeria are all in the top 10 most populous places in the world (many of them have amazing food that can be made tourist friendly). I personally would enjoy Australia, but might be better situated as an AK expansion theme.
That's probably fair. The Germany / Italy area is in need of a boost more than Mexico. But Coco is one of the few IPs that logically fits into EPCOT and if they're going to make a major investment into the property, it should be in EPCOT.

RSoxNo1

Here's one:

Criticizing Hondo in the Falcon ride because 'no one knows him.'

Meanwhile, he most certainly was able to bypass the queue in which the PA banter introduces the type of person Hondo is. And also... every old-school non-IP ride was full of characters we don't know. E.g. imagine criticizing DINOSAUR because "no one knows who Seeker is!!".
I'm not a fan of Jim Shull, but this is really your go to example?

Hondo was the wrong choice. When Disney announced that they were making a Millennium Falcon ride was anyone in the room saying, "I can't wait to see Hondo Ohnaka"? They over thought it.

He also got gate checked at the Magic Kingdom last year because of park reservations and had to go through the process of checking in at EPCOT and then returning to MK.

That being said, yes he was a former Imagineer, but I've heard countless other Imagineers that are far better interviews.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not a fan of Jim Shull, but this is really your go to example?

Hondo was the wrong choice. When Disney announced that they were making a Millennium Falcon ride was anyone in the room saying, "I can't wait to see Hondo Ohnaka"? They over thought it.
Goal post: Moved.

My point in that story is about complaining about an unknown character in a ride.

It doesn't matter at all whether you think Hondo was the right choice or not. Shull wasn't arguing he wasn't the right choice amidst all the other Star War characters we all know*, he was arguing he wasn't known, and that made it bad.

Which doesn't make sense, since, as I stated, the traditional non-IP rides were full of unknown characters. We didn't know who Seeker was before entering DINOSAUR. We didn't know who Master Gracy or the Ghost Host was before the first trip to the Haunted Mansion. And so on.

Everything in the ride gave you all you needed to know: Space Pirate/Smuggler.

*And, BTW, which "known" character should it have been that didn't leave someone who wasn't a 'fan' wondering who that was?

C33Mom

My point in that story is about complaining about an unknown character in a ride.

It doesn't matter at all whether you think Hondo was the right choice or not. Shull wasn't arguing he wasn't the right choice amidst all the other Star War characters we all know*, he was arguing he wasn't known, and that made it bad.

Which doesn't make sense, since, as I stated, the traditional non-IP rides were full of unknown characters. We didn't know who Seeker was before entering DINOSAUR. We didn't know who Master Gracy or the Ghost Host was before the first trip to the Haunted Mansion. And so on.

*And, BTW, which "known" character should it have been that didn't leave someone who wasn't a 'fan' wondering who that was?
Typed out a long post (as Star Wars nerd and a Disney Parks fan), the realized it was WAAAY off topic so to summarize: (a) I think Hondo and the main queue dialogue work well and (b) Chewbacca is featured prominently in the preshow and if you know what you’re doing he narrates the entire Smuggler’s Run journey. Can’t believe people are unhappy we got a bit more world-building mixed with a classic timeless character! (Though I do wish there were alternating missions)

RSoxNo1

Chewbacca or Han Solo should have been our animatronic host for Smugglers Run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom