News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Nickm2022

While I would want the Mexico pavilion to get some love, I'm fine with them going all out and putting Coco behind Big Thunder. What I'm not ok with is if they do Cars, Zootopia, or Woody. I really hope after seeing the excitement for Dark Universe that it gets them a wake up call that Villains land is the right choice.

James Alucobond

It’s because they feel if they’re going to spend the money to make “sweeping enhancements” they would rather make it “more relevant, more Disney”.
Yes, but certain attractions use a mix of effects that tend to look neglected as they age no matter how well cared for. In Three Caballeros, you have poor quality screens, live video that is very clearly out of date, and late-add animatronics that have never matched the portrayal of the same characters elsewhere in the ride. Other things have aged gracefully because the effects are either practical or otherwise timeless; that’s not the case here.

aladdin2007

it looks like there is enough room between Mexico and Norway to expand the Mexico show building allowing the queue and an expanded ride... or on the other side of the pavilion and utilize some of the Odyssey space... I would also have the Queue entrance outside the Pavilion building... So the Exit would be the current queue area... The experience beginning on the World Showcase Esplanade and ending in the interior plaza...
yes there is the plot where the frozen meetngreet is and that building can always go away, if they wanted. But not happening during any of our lifetimes here.... but the emergency access road between the two plots cant be blocked, plus that side of mexico is services and delivery etc.

Nickm2022

Apologies, if this was posted. Not a big fan of Jim Shull as a source. He has said some really dumb things. However, any former imagineer is worth mentioning here.

Doesn't matter if you like him, this is a fact that for anything to be approved the CEO needs "a look see at #BeyondBigThunder in the #MagicKingdom plans and site. Needed before the board approves the expansion plan" as he said. What is most exciting to me is that after this trip Iger (and the board) will start internally approving projects so that we will soon hear what projects are (and are not) approved. This is another interesting thing that he's touring EPCOT when we thought it was declared "done". Best keeping an eye out for where else he pops up. Here's looking at you Launchbay and next to Pirates.

lazyboy97o

Doesn't matter if you like him, this is a fact that for anything to be approved the CEO needs "a look see at #BeyondBigThunder in the #MagicKingdom plans and site. Needed before the board approves the expansion plan" as he said. What is most exciting to me is that after this trip Iger (and the board) will start internally approving projects so that we will soon hear what projects are (and are not) approved. This is another interesting thing that he's touring EPCOT when we thought it was declared "done". Best keeping an eye out for where else he pops up. Here's looking at you Launchbay and next to Pirates.
What does the CEO need to see in Florida? Walt Disney Imagineering is based in Glendale. Does he need to look at the swamp that will be filled in?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What are the dumb things he has said?
Here's one:

Criticizing Hondo in the Falcon ride because 'no one knows him.'

Meanwhile, he most certainly was able to bypass the queue in which the PA banter introduces the type of person Hondo is. And also... every old-school non-IP ride was full of characters we don't know. E.g. imagine criticizing DINOSAUR because "no one knows who Seeker is!!".

Last edited:

DisDude23

What does the CEO need to see in Florida? Walt Disney Imagineering is based in Glendale. Does he need to look at the swamp that will be filled in?
I know you’re joking but that is very much something that needs to be looked at. Different proposals of BBT probably involve different parts of land so they need to know the viability of each bit of land that could be built upon.

He is also there to do his cast member preview of TBA and check out how EPCOT looks now. lol

SilentWindODoom

Mexico pavilion is too small to support the expected demand of what a Coco reskin to the boat ride could be.

I wouldn't say "never" but that's the reason parroted by other insiders on why the rumored overlay never happened.

Yea, I mean the other day there was a 10 minute wait in there and the line was already almost to the entrance of the pavilion. I couldn't imagine what a coco line would look like.

That... makes... sense. Oof, but that suggests their goal is to keep the ride as mediocre as possible to not generate too many crowds.

I love the Caballeros, and as someone of Latin descent I had the VHS and watched it plenty in childhood, but El Rio del Tiempo (while being incoherent to the average guest) had a lot of detail to look at. Gran Fiesta Tour simplified things to the point of much of the things to see being a quick animation followed by nothing as you wait, sometimes with the animation repeating before your eyes. I wish they got something better, so I hoped for Coco as a new try and forgot until these recent comments that while I was hoping for this in the moment we had the Brazil pavilion speeding toward possibility to take them into its loving arms.

I agree, but they can talk capacity fears. That tequila bar in there is a nightmare and has created nothing but traffic havoc. I dont even understand how with fire code they got away with that, its gotten worse. The $$$ is all they care about. The pavilion can barely handle what's there now much less coco being crammed in.

Oh... Then the answer is simple. Swap them. The queue space and the final stretch of the ride would be a nice, large space for La Cava del Tequila while starting a new queue in the current La Cava entrance (which is conveniently right by the bottom of the entry ramp) provides access to the expansion pad. Run the boats backwards in front of the restaurant or have that be the ending.

But, honestly, this is more because I love La Cava and would love to see it more easily accessible. I would rather the expansion pad be used for a pavilion, but as was mentioned there's not a whole lot of chance of the Frozen expansion going away any time soon.

lazyboy97o

I know you’re joking but that is very much something that needs to be looked at. Different proposals of BBT probably involve different parts of land so they need to know the viability of each bit of land that could be built upon.

He is also there to do his cast member preview of TBA and check out how EPCOT looks now. lol
I’m not joking. The information he needs is in California. Looking at scrub or a back of house road as though he is gleaning any meaningful information is just overly expensive cosplaying.

Surferboy567

Here's one:

Criticizing Hondo in the Falcon ride because 'no one knows him.'

Meanwhile, he most certainly was able to bypass the queue in which the PA banter introduces the type of person Hondo is. And also... every old-school non-IP ride was full of characters we don't know. E.g. imagine criticizing DINOSAUR because "no one knows who Seeker is!!".
My favorite is that the foliage on Tiana’s will “blow away” due to Orlando winds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom