News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

James Alucobond

???

"Disney Villains" is very much an IP/brand, even if it represents more than one movie.
It is the only one where the possibility of a more "generic" land exists with different IP capable of being swapped in and out, which is generally more consistent with how the other lands of Magic Kingdom are. All other concepts floating around in the ether at the moment would be facsimiles of locales from their source films with very little wiggle room as the park evolves. They'd ultimately have to be leveled or lazily papered over in some way if the IP ever falls out of favor, whereas villains would be a perpetual thing that they could renew.

easyrowrdw

It is the only one where the possibility of a more "generic" land exists with different IP capable of being swapped in and out, which is generally more consistent with how the other lands of Magic Kingdom are. All other concepts floating around in the ether at the moment would be facsimiles of locales from their source films with very little wiggle room as the park evolves. They'd ultimately have to be leveled or lazily papered over in some way if the IP ever falls out of favor, whereas villains would be a perpetual thing that they could renew.
Good point. It’s definitely broader than something like Cars or Zootopia. But it still feels too focused to me compared to the other lands at MK. Dark Forest or Mystical Land or something that’s not just about bad guys would be my preference.

SilentWindODoom

"Disney Villains" is very much an IP/brand, even if it represents more than one movie.

While you are technically correct, which is indeed the best kind of correct, when we speak of basing things on an IP, we're talking about a single franchise. Villains is an umbrella franchise that covers different franchises. It's a brand. In actual practice, it's like suggesting Pixar Pier is a single-IP land because it's the Pixar brand, or in a closer example the non-circus area of New Fantasyland being a single-IP land because it can all be covered under the Disney Princess brand. Heck, the whole thing is a single-IP Disney Animated Films land.

Although there is the question of whether things featured will be a mixture of villain fixtures themed to different things or a House-of-Mouse-style mix-up across the board. I'm still curious as to how much this may tie into the Descendants brand if the new movie is a hit. They're still running dance shows under that brand for Halloween, aren't they?

Bocabear

and they REALLY need to ditch the "Villains Lair" from the Top Of The World in Bay Lake Tower...what a horrible, unnecessary, ill advised, poorly executed overlay that is....and makes absolutely no sense... I like the idea of a Dark Forest or something like that to be the fabric that a Villains land would be built upon...

BrianLo

I'd love to see Coco... in EPCOT.

Pass. The movie deserves more than an overlay over a flume with mostly no depth of scenes and no ability to host a queue.

Plus… for the millionth time I thought people really wanted new things and not more overlays and shuffling of the deck?

It can, in theory, provide a nice land with good food. Something MK could do a lot better with.

the_rich

Mexico pavilion is too small to support the expected demand of what a Coco reskin to the boat ride could be.

I wouldn't say "never" but that's the reason parroted by other insiders on why the rumored overlay never happened.
Yea, I mean the other day there was a 10 minute wait in there and the line was already almost to the entrance of the pavilion. I couldn't imagine what a coco line would look like.

C33Mom

Mexico pavilion is too small to support the expected demand of what a Coco reskin to the boat ride could be.

I wouldn't say "never" but that's the reason parroted by other insiders on why the rumored overlay never happened.
How difficult would it be to put it on a perpetual VQ? Like a first on first off VQ? Then when you get called you have 30-60m to return? Epcot World Showcase seems like the perfect park for this because then folks are eating and drinking at nearby pavilions ($$) while waiting for their turn to ride.

aladdin2007

I agree, but they can talk capacity fears. That tequila bar in there is a nightmare and has created nothing but traffic havoc. I dont even understand how with fire code they got away with that, its gotten worse. The $$$ is all they care about. The pavilion can barely handle what's there now much less coco being crammed in.

Nickm2022

I understand that Coco may be too small for the Mexico pavilion, but I hope they at least update 3 Calaberreros and give it some new tech.

Also someone said villains isn't off the table yet, do we know anything planned for the land?

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist

Seems like there is room on the outside of the pavilion on the side to put a big queue, but that would interfere with shops and parkings spots. It affects 3rd party leases from vendors in Mexico. Plenty of room to add more boats on that track as well. If they wanted to they could make it happen.

MJL92

Seems like there is room on the outside of the pavilion on the side to put a big queue, but that would interfere with shops and parkings spots. It affects 3rd party leases from vendors in Mexico. Plenty of room to add more boats on that track as well. If they wanted to they could make it happen.

Coco could work in Mexico if they did a Ratatouille type expansion. Current pavilion is the "real" culture, and a path around the back or side would take you into a "fictional" Mexico in Santa Cecilia. Coco deserves more representation somewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom