News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

RSoxNo1

Pass. The movie deserves more than an overlay over a flume with mostly no depth of scenes and no ability to host a queue.

Plus… for the millionth time I thought people really wanted new things and not more overlays and shuffling of the deck?

It can, in theory, provide a nice land with good food. Something MK could do a lot better with.

Coco is never coming to EPCOT due to capacity fears.

Hm? Specifically what does that mean? "Capacity fears" is a term that could mean a number of things.

It’s really a shame because if Disney really wanted to they could. They just aren’t willing to if that’s the case. Coco really would be a great fit for World Showcase.

Mexico pavilion is too small to support the expected demand of what a Coco reskin to the boat ride could be.

I wouldn't say "never" but that's the reason parroted by other insiders on why the rumored overlay never happened.
I get it. The ran into this issue with Frozen Ever After, except the entry was outdoors. We're thinking like a CEO who believes that a retrofit of an existing attraction is just as beneficial as a new build. Realistically though, there's a significant amount of space between Norway and Mexico. You could pick up Flight of Passage and plop it down between the two with only minor roadwork changes.

Mexico.jpg

C33Mom

I get it. The ran into this issue with Frozen Ever After, except the entry was outdoors. We're thinking like a CEO who believes that a retrofit of an existing attraction is just as beneficial as a new build. Realistically though, there's a significant amount of space between Norway and Mexico. You could pick up Flight of Passage and plop it down between the two with only minor roadwork changes.

View attachment 794132
I would be happy to see Mexico expanded with a Coco attraction (even if neither of those things is my particular interest), but if there’s going to be major new infrastructure in World Showcase I would really love an entirely new pavilion— Brazil, India, Indonesia, Egypt, Nigeria are all in the top 10 most populous places in the world (many of them have amazing food that can be made tourist friendly). I personally would enjoy Australia, but might be better situated as an AK expansion theme.

JoeCamel

View attachment 794132
Or bump it into the Oddessy space...

GenChi

I don't get people's continued obsession with trying to force Coco in Epcot. Just because it's a newer IP taking place in Mexico so it has to go there? The plan they are going for now is so much better. Coco gets its own ride designed ground up around the film's strengths in MK with a land that segues strongly with Frontierland, one of Disney's cult following series keeps its ride perfect for its size (also Cabs sell merch better than people think), Disney doesn't need to pay tons for extension queue modifications or the supposed crowds making the pavilion inoperable just for Coco to get a 80s hand me down. Everyone wins in this scenario, so I can't grasp why people are so fixated on the presumably cancelled worse scenario. Not every ride needs to be this overcrowded 1 hour wait, pavilion was never meant for that

Touchdown

I don't get people's continued obsession with trying to force Coco in Epcot. Just because it's a newer IP taking place in Mexico so it has to go there? The plan they are going for now is so much better. Coco gets its own ride designed ground up around the film's strengths in MK with a land that segues strongly with Frontierland, one of Disney's cult following series keeps its ride perfect for its size (also Cabs sell merch better than people think), Disney doesn't need to pay tons for extension queue modifications or the supposed crowds making the pavilion inoperable just for Coco to get a 80s hand me down. Everyone wins in this scenario, so I can't grasp why people are so fixated on the presumably cancelled worse scenario. Not every ride needs to be this overcrowded 1 hour wait, pavilion was never meant for that
Or…they retrofit Mexico with a Coco ride expand the queue, and the 3 cabs instead anchor a brand new Brazil pavillion where Jose shows his friends the wonder of Brazil and we also get a churrascaria (Brazilian Steakhouse.). Win:Win and my #1 preference (but the MK plan is ok too, it’s just I want a churrascaria and new Epcot pavillion more.)

trainplane3

View attachment 794132
Problem is the load area is on the opposite side of the pavilion, not the Norway side. It would require a hefty reconfiguration of the interior of the pavilion to even make it work well. You'd still have queue crossing with guests walking to dinner anyways most likely.
If they brought Coco to Epcot I’d rather it be as an additional attraction not replacing three caballeros. Use the plot behind the princess m&g
Three cabs would've had a place in Brazil. Probably not as an attraction as annoying as it would've been but still, a very sizeable presence there.

Bocabear

it looks like there is enough room between Mexico and Norway to expand the Mexico show building allowing the queue and an expanded ride... or on the other side of the pavilion and utilize some of the Odyssey space... I would also have the Queue entrance outside the Pavilion building... So the Exit would be the current queue area... The experience beginning on the World Showcase Esplanade and ending in the interior plaza...

Moth

I wonder how far along Coco in Mexico was. The Epcot Experience pavilion poster for Mexico featured Miguel front and center
View attachment 794159
Budgeted I heard? There was art done for a reskin of the boat ride. It was supposed to be apart of a hypothetical "2nd wave" of EPCOT improvements along with fixing You Know What Ride At This Point in the former Future World.

Then Covid happened and plans got thrown out the window, kicked down the street, moved other places, etc etc.

Hey, this ain't about Beyond Big Thunder! How do yall feel about Zootopia?

James Alucobond

I don't think people would care that much about Coco if they just made Three Caballeros better. Coco is just viewed as an opportunity to revise the existing ride since WDW seems largely allergic to sweeping enhancements for whatever reason.

MagicHappens1971

I don't think people would care that much about Coco if they just made Three Caballeros better. Coco is just viewed as an opportunity to revise the existing ride since WDW seems largely allergic to sweeping enhancements for whatever reason.
It’s because they feel if they’re going to spend the money to make “sweeping enhancements” they would rather make it “more relevant, more Disney”.

wedenterprises

Budgeted I heard? There was art done for a reskin of the boat ride. It was supposed to be apart of a hypothetical "2nd wave" of EPCOT improvements along with fixing You Know What Ride At This Point in the former Future World.

Then Covid happened and plans got thrown out the window, kicked down the street, moved other places, etc etc.

Hey, this ain't about Beyond Big Thunder! How do yall feel about Zootopia?
An All-Star style motel next to the AK themed to Zootopia and we riot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom