News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

OSUPhantom

I think we can assume they won't launch the first half of BTM AND Moana at the same time. Do we think BTM p1 -> Moana -> BTM p2? Maybe something like 2027, 2029, 2032?
Moving BBT and Moana at the same time would be more efficient since you can likely work both sites from a single construction/laydown set up. Not saying it’ll happen but there’s reason to advance both at the same time.

PREMiERdrum

Moving BBT and Moana at the same time would be more efficient since you can likely work both sites from a single construction/laydown set up. Not saying it’ll happen but there’s reason to advance both at the same time.
The AL expansion pad is nearly shovel-ready.

IF things move forward as currently envisioned, I'd expect Moana in AL and Tropical Americas at AK on the fastest timetable while BBTM infrastructure kicks off, then BBTM pase 1 and either DHS *or* AK E-ticket next, and then BBTM phase 2 if that ever happens.

Again, as currently envisioned. Subject to change without notice. Your milage may vary. If you experience "magic" lasting more than four hours, call you doctor.

OSUPhantom

The AL expansion pad is nearly shovel-ready.

IF things move forward as currently envisioned, I'd expect Moana in AL and Tropical Americas at AK on the fastest timetable while BBTM infrastructure kicks off, then BBTM pase 1 and either DHS *or* AK E-ticket next, and then BBTM phase 2 if that ever happens.

Again, as currently envisioned. Subject to change without notice. Your milage may vary. If you experience "magic" lasting more than four hours, call you doctor.
That would make sense. They’d still get some efficiencies from doing the early work for BBT as they advance Moana.

PREMiERdrum

Wait, sorry, I'm confused. Which AK E-Ticket are we talking about here? Avatar 2nd attraction? Lion King dark ride? One of the tropical things?
There is some interest in adding the Lion King E-ticket from DLP *or* the Avatar "experience" coming to DL at AK as an expansion past Tropical Americas. I'm not convinced they'll find enough coins in the sofa, but since it's what they're laying out it should be considered as construction timelines are drafted.

Last edited:

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Since we are playing with crayons a little bit...

Red is railroad track. Build new track first and then connect for least down time
Green is new plot of land for expansion
Tom Sawyer island shaved down to make room room for Riverboat. No more foot traffic on Island. New sets on island.
Mauve is guest foot path
Orange is new HM Queue

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 10.34.16 PM.png

castlecake2.0

Technically the train likely never actually had to close down during Tron's construction to begin with. In the 1990s when rebuilding the Frontierland station, they kept it open to Toontown (then Starland) and ran it backwards to get there. Whatever they end up doing for Beyond BTM, they could technically do the same and even keep all stations open.
I don’t think you’ll ever see that operation again after what happened in 2009

James Alucobond

I think I'd prefer seeing an arrangement like this, with the Frontierland extension being connected to Dark Kingdom Z1 via drawbridge (of marigolds?) and zones 1 and 2 having either an underpass or overpass between them where the train is. Haunted Mansion queue would obviously have to be reconfigured. I think this also retains pretty much all structures on TSI, and a secondary Liberty Belle dock in zone 2 could be cool.
mk_expansion.png

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Remember that image with Imagineering testing out a pre-vis ride thru of a decidedly Coco-based attraction a few years ago? Well, what if, hypothetically we were getting that. And instead of the costly and massive footprint of a Soarin 2.0 Alebrijes Flight E ticket we would get a Soarin-esque ride sequence combined with classic darkride movements within a souped up, projection-heavy C-ticket dark ride. Could the BBT Coco attraction be a variation of the "black box" flex ride attraction concept?

1000000920.png

Last edited:

mattpeto

First, Return of Jafar isn’t Robin, it’s Genie Homer. Second, his will prevents Disney from using unused voice footage I think for 20 years post death, so you get stuck with only exact movie lines.
This is a quite the rabbit hole but in Once Upon a Studio...

The piece of audio used for Williams came from one of the actor's many unused outtakes that he recorded years ago for Aladdin. Abraham sifted through 16 hours of archived recordings to pick the perfect soundbite. "We got the approval of the Robin Williams estate very, very early on," he says. "We told them what we wanted to do and they were like, 'Yep, this is great.' Using original dialogue of his was very important to us."

TrainsOfDisney

First, Return of Jafar isn’t Robin, it’s Genie Homer. Second, his will prevents Disney from using unused voice footage I think for 20 years post death, so you get stuck with only exact movie lines.
Still plenty to use for an attraction though.

I think Coco is a great movie and Moana was ok. But Aladdin is such a no brainer! Get over yourself Bob! Use the more popular IP’s!!!

Advisable Joseph

Remember that image with Imagineering testing out a pre-vis ride thru of a decidedly Coco-based attraction a few years ago? Well, what if, hypothetically we were getting that. And instead of the costly and massive footprint of a Soarin 2.0 Alebrijes Flight E ticket we would get a Soarin-esque ride sequence combined with classic darkride movements within a souped up, projection-heavy C-ticket dark ride. Could the BBT Coco attraction be a variation of the "black box" flex ride attraction concept?

View attachment 779121
Finally tracked down the discussion you referenced:

Now have to find where @marni1971 talked about a "black box."

The Leader of the Club

That would actually be popular, so there’s no chance they do it.
Moana has consistently been one of the most streamed movies. It’s incredibly popular with kids (Disney’s target market) and parents alike.

Aladdin is popular and I’d love to see an attraction in set that world, but let’s not pretend that Moana is any less deserving.

TrainsOfDisney

Moana has consistently been one of the most streamed movies. It’s incredibly popular with kids (Disney’s target market) and parents alike.

Aladdin is popular and I’d love to see an attraction in set that world, but let’s not pretend that Moana is any less deserving.
Moana has not stood the test of time that Alladin has. It certainly could. Disney needs to care about the popularity of an IP just as much as who the CEO was when the IP was made.

A quality Moana attraction could be crazy fun though!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom