News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Timothy_Q

Sites under review:
- MK, AL expansion pad
- MK, west of BTM (phase 1)
- MK, north of BTM (phase 2)
- DHS, northwest corner
Do you know where the DHS expansion would fall in terms of timing, in relation to the other plans?

My understanding of the schedule is:
(but please correct me)

1: Dinoland and Adventureland Moana
2: MK Phase 1 and DHS
3: MK Phase 2

PREMiERdrum

Lots of questions, few answers.

Informed speculation:

The RSR and lesser Coco attraction pitch was likely a product of then uncertainty of the IPs for Dinloand's makeover. This is where the Coco carousel originated.

I believe the additional, post-Dinoland AK expansion might be an either/or with the rather new momentum towards further DHS expansion.

I expect Moana and BBTM sitework to happen in tandem, shortly after work in AK begins. My gut still says Coco as the BBTM phase 1, with either Dark Kingdom or RSR going to DHS. I still lack confidence of a BBTM phase 2 coming to fruition in a timley manner. With a total of just 14 acres in play, that doesn't create a spectacular amount of space with their current layout.

And, while we're here, I've heard nothing but blue sky nuggets about additional park entrances, onstage hotel options, etc. Despite all the other "original" directives they've abandoned at MK, the arrival progression is still very much hallowed.

In the Parks
No
Lots of questions, few answers.

Informed speculation:

The RSR and lesser Coco attraction pitch was likely a product of then uncertainty of the IPs for Dinloand's makeover. This is where the Coco carousel originated.

I believe the additional, post-Dinoland AK expansion might be an either/or with the rather new momentum towards further DHS expansion.

I expect Moana and BBTM sitework to happen in tandem, shortly after work in AK begins. My gut still says Coco as the BBTM phase 1, with either Dark Kingdom or RSR going to DHS. I still lack confidence of a BBTM phase 2 coming to fruition in a timley manner. With a total of just 14 acres in play, that doesn't create a spectacular amount of space with their current layout.

And, while we're here, I've heard nothing but blue sky nuggets about additional park entrances, onstage hotel options, etc. Despite all the other "original" directives they've abandoned at MK, the arrival progression is still very much hallowed.
So is it a Coco E-Ticket or C/D? I'm sorry but Soarin' 2.0 does not excite me.

PREMiERdrum

So is it a Coco E-Ticket or C/D? I'm sorry but Soarin' 2.0 does not excite me.
Having not seen the actual mockups, I'm expecting a ride experience closer to Flight of Passage but with the more accessible load/unload procedures of Soarin'. From those who *have* seen the mockups, reports are encouraging.

Rooting this expansion with an indoor attraction also solves lots of sightline issues, which given the offstage facilities involved would leave more onstage space for meaningful guest areas.

Sectorkeeper71

According to our best insiders... it has been on the table a few times while spitballing.
I was thinking this over today, and I can’t see how the river survives unscathed if they do indeed want to loop this around to next to the haunted mansion; there’s nowhere currently to locate the queue to. That cut through from fantasyland near the gift shop is right there, and you can’t go further right into the pet cemetery because the show buildings for mansion and small world are right there. Only feasible thing is to expand out to the left and fill in the river

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
No there's an expansion pad roughly where IJA is in Disneyland, just beyond Jungle Cruise.
Right and to get to that location, how would they address the return parade route back to the warehouses? That route has 2 lines, one that goes under the railroad and the other goes over which is for the floats. My question is how will that be addressed to get back to that location.
1712847787072.png

MerlinTheGoat

Moana in Adventureland, would that mean the float warehouses and parade routes would change to a different location?
The expansion plot is here, assuming that's the furthest north they intend to go with it. Prior expansion plans for this land back in the late 90s and early 2000s included a new walkway that went between POTC and Jungle Cruise-

1712946072720.png

However, it's likely that the parade itself would be halted temporarily at some point during construction due to the crossing roads needing to be reworked. It needs to go through Caribbean Way to get back to Main Street. And that road would end up being impacted in some way. Unless they build some sort of temporary bypass.

DisneyDodo

FWIW. I heard Moana boat, Racers and a C or D- ticket Coco attraction. But everyone else is saying it'll be Flight of the Alebrijes so...
WDI definitely did design a flying-theater Coco attraction (which would presumably be classified as an E-ticket). Though I’m personally skeptical that it will ultimately be included in BBTM phase 1, given that they appear to have moved and adapted some of the Coco area to the plans for DAK (along with Encanto), which wouldn’t make sense IMO if they were still planning that ride for MK. I would assume any talk of a C-ticket Coco attraction would refer to the carousel pictured in the TA concept art (as well as the obsolete BBTM artwork)

DisneyDodo

The expansion plot is here, assuming that's the furthest north they intend to go with it. Prior expansion plans for this land back in the late 90s and early 2000s included a new walkway that went between POTC and Jungle Cruise-

View attachment 778968

However, it's likely that the parade itself would be halted temporarily at some point during construction due to the crossing roads needing to be reworked. It needs to go through Caribbean Way to get back to Main Street. And that road would end up being impacted in some way. Unless they build some sort of temporary bypass.
if Caribbean Way is closed, they could bring the floats back up through the parade route after the park closes as a temporary measure. Or even run the parade a second time in the opposite direction during park hours.

MerlinTheGoat

Parade storage moves to fantasyland?
Unless they're intending to expand into the space where those buildings are located, there's no reason to move the floats behind Fantasyland. There also aren't any roads back there that connect to any other parts of the park, they would have to either build a new road or use the original Floridian Way to get there. Which I don't see happening unless they finally close off that road to guests completely and force everyone to use the Floridian PL bypass they built a few years back.

But regardless, that still doesn't help whatsoever with the problem of getting the floats back to Main Street if Caribbean Way is being impacted. The only road that connects to Main Street on the west side is Caribbean Way. They'd need to build a bypass road back there to completely avoid shutting down the parade for any extended length of time. Rough example-

1712946881375.png

if Caribbean Way is closed, they could bring the floats back up through the parade route after the park closes as a temporary measure. Or even run the parade a second time in the opposite direction during park hours.
That might work. Depending on how much space they have back behind Main Street to keep floats back there for extended periods of time.

Though to be honest, I wouldn't put it past Disney to use the opportunity as an excuse to not run major day or night parades for several years. As I mentioned above, they ran the train backwards for several years in the late 80s to early 90s while building the new Frontierland station at the time. And yet kept it closed for several years while Tron was being constructed despite being able to keep it running the other direction (with all stations open as well).

flyerjab

With regard to Iger and his “all IP all the time” mantra, this is where creativity gets stifled. And for the record, I don’t necessarily mind IP inclusion if done well (also, I am not quite as much of a stickler as some on here 😉). In this case though, you can see how far they have to reach to find IPs that can somehow be related to a desert setting. This is a classic situation where original park ideas would help tremendously. If the Imagineers would be allowed to spread their wings and freely create original attractions and placemaking ideas, there would be no issues forcing BTM along side Cars and Woody.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom