News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Brer Oswald

Moana has consistently been one of the most streamed movies. It’s incredibly popular with kids (Disney’s target market) and parents alike.

Aladdin is popular and I’d love to see an attraction in set that world, but let’s not pretend that Moana is any less deserving.
Ignoring popularity comparisons (which I still think would go to Aladdin), let’s just compare the visuals you would expect to see.

Aladdin would likely be a flight over and through the desert, the city of Agrabah, into the Cave of Wonders. Likely encounters with an animatronic Genie, and the giant snake Jafar. Super iconic locations and super iconic ride vehicle, being the Magic Carpet. There’s a lot of wish fulfillment possible here that the current spinner doesn’t deliver.

With Moana, you have another boat ride through the tropics (Jungle Cruise and Pirates anyone?) maybe with an encounter of a giant crab. Maybe they play around with that open sea simulator patent…but do we really want to see ANOTHER screen heavy dark ride? Moana is just not as visual interesting or innovative compared to Aladdin.

Surferboy567

Ignoring popularity comparisons (which I still think would go to Aladdin), let’s just compare the visuals you would expect to see.

Aladdin would likely be a flight over and through the desert, the city of Agrabah, into the Cave of Wonders. Likely encounters with an animatronic Genie, and the giant snake Jafar. Super iconic locations and super iconic ride vehicle, being the Magic Carpet. There’s a lot of wish fulfillment possible here that the current spinner doesn’t deliver.

With Moana, you have another boat ride through the tropics (Jungle Cruise and Pirates anyone?) maybe with an encounter of a giant crab. Maybe they play around with that open sea simulator patent…but do we really want to see ANOTHER screen heavy dark ride? Moana is just not as visual interesting or innovative compared to Aladdin.
Aladdin is my favorite Disney movie and I’m baffled it doesn’t have an attraction and no a spinner flat ride doesn’t count. Moana though, is in my opinion is a great Disney film and also deserves to have an attraction. Why do we have to choose? They’d both be great, also I could use another water ride in WDW not a boat ride but something akin to Splash or Grizzly River Run. Moana is also a PERFECT fit for Adventureland it feels tailormade. Aladdin would also fit not to the extent of Moana though.

I’m also equally baffled a park about animals that has a movie so essential to its DNA also doesn’t have an attraction.

James Alucobond

I actually feel a magic carpet simulator would have a much higher chance of being 100% screen-based than a Moana boat attraction given how attractions are currently designed. Just because you’ve put together a cool Aladdin dark ride in your head doesn’t mean it is a more dark ride-friendly IP.

Brer Oswald

I actually feel a magic carpet simulator would have a much higher chance of being 100% screen-based than a Moana boat attraction given how attractions are currently designed. Just because you’ve put together a cool Aladdin dark ride in your head doesn’t mean it is a more dark ride-friendly IP.
How on earth would you do Moana without it being screen based? Majority of the ride is out on the open, endless sea. Unless they went in a new direction with it (which they rarely do with IPs these days).

James Alucobond

How on earth would you do Moana without it being screen based? Majority of the ride is out on the open, endless sea. Unless they went in a new direction with it (which they rarely do with IPs these days).
I am not saying there wouldn’t be screens, just that an Aladdin magic carpet simulator would almost certainly park you in front of one large screen the entire time.

Brer Oswald

Aladdin is my favorite Disney movie and I’m baffled it doesn’t have an attraction and no a spinner flat ride doesn’t count. Moana though, is in my opinion is a great Disney film and also deserves to have an attraction. Why do we have to choose? They’d both be great, also I could use another water ride in WDW not a boat ride but something akin to Splash or Grizzly River Run. Moana is also a PERFECT fit for Adventureland it feels tailormade. Aladdin would also fit not to the extent of Moana though.

I’m also equally baffled a park about animals that has a movie so essential to its DNA also doesn’t have an attraction.
Moana just doesn't strike me as the type of film to translate as well to a full ride. I think the walkthrough in Epcot looks neat and seems to represent the film's environments well. Maybe a show in Adventureland to play into the film's musical identity would be more fitting? I'd hate to see one of the last expansion plots at the Magic Kingdom go to another tropical boat ride when there are two next door.

yensidtlaw1969

Shanghai Pirates tech is the assumed ride type.
Not exactly:

1713029014164.png

1713029026690.png

1713029037514.png

Think of Shanghai Pirates as more like Cosmic Rewind, where the vehicle can be spun to face any direction, where Moana is more like Indiana Jones or Dinosaur!, where the vehicle can be made to feel like it's experiencing turbulence.

(I suppose it's possible Moana may also be able to face the boats in any direction, but I haven't yet heard that myself)

The Leader of the Club

Moana just doesn't strike me as the type of film to translate as well to a full ride. I think the walkthrough in Epcot looks neat and seems to represent the film's environments well. Maybe a show in Adventureland to play into the film's musical identity would be more fitting? I'd hate to see one of the last expansion plots at the Magic Kingdom go to another tropical boat ride when there are two next door.
I think lumping in Jungle and Pirates as “tropical boat rides” is a disservice to those attractions. They have completely different vibes and atmospheres than each other as well as Moana. The Caribbean is different than Polynesia which is different than the jungle.

That does make the left side of MK very water-ride heavy, but that wasn’t a problem when it was Jungle, Pirates, and Splash so I don’t think adding one more is a misstep.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
I hope that's true, since it's a good way to separate it from pirates and jungle cruise next door
Id prefer something else for that IP. Another boat ride seems a waste.
Not exactly:

View attachment 779144

View attachment 779145

View attachment 779146

Think of Shanghai Pirates as more like Cosmic Rewind, where the vehicle can be spun to face any direction, where Moana is more like Indiana Jones or Dinosaur!, where the vehicle can be made to feel like it's experiencing turbulence.

(I suppose it's possible Moana may also be able to face the boats in any direction, but I haven't yet heard that myself)
That's better. Save the Shanghai tech for another IP.

MR.Dis

I have been thinking about this thru the eyes of those who are politically adverse. Since Aladdin is set in the middle east, I do not see any way a dark ride is developed around this movie--it is just a no win scenario. Too bad, as this was a terrific movie -- even liked the re boot.

Brer Oswald

I have been thinking about this thru the eyes of those who are politically adverse. Since Aladdin is set in the middle east, I do not see any way a dark ride is developed around this movie--it is just a no win scenario. Too bad, as this was a terrific movie -- even liked the re boot.
They need to stop looking through these eyes and more through the eyes of the guests that go to the parks to have a fun time and explore worlds they can't anywhere else. Agrabah is not the Middle East. It may be inspired by it, but it is still very much a fictional location.

WaltWiz1901

I don't really have a lot to say over whether Aladdin or Moana is more deserving of an attraction other than both films are full of potential that has been criminally untapped in the parks (though Arabian Coast comes incredibly close).

Journey of Water could have easily been built without the Moana trimmings, yet the IP mandate requires that they be laid on. Much has been said about how cooler a magic carpet dark ride through Agrabah and the Cave of Wonders would be than the spinners that already exist, so I won't re-iterate much there, but Motunui and Te Fiti alone are luscious locales that would make for perfect theme park environments

MR.Dis

They need to stop looking through these eyes and more through the eyes of the guests that go to the parks to have a fun time and explore worlds they can't anywhere else. Agrabah is not the Middle East. It may be inspired by it, but it is still very much a fictional location.
I will point out that Splash Mountain was exactly what people wanted, one of the most beloved attractions in all WDW. Yet, it is now history. It seems to matter little what Most guests like, but what All guest can accept.

osian

If Agrabah shouldn't be equated with the Middle East, doesn't that also mean that Arendelle shouldn't be equated with Norway?

Brer Oswald

I will point out that Splash Mountain was exactly what people wanted, one of the most beloved attractions in all WDW. Yet, it is now history. It seems to matter little what Most guests like, but what All guest can accept.
You're preaching to the choir about Splash. I maintain the belief that it should not have been "removed" when there are dozens of attractions not up to par with guest expectations. As fans, we either choose to live with it, or we start vacationing elsewhere. While I still love WDW (and intend to visit when there are deals), the latter is becoming easier to do given the lacklustre additions as of late (and the ones in the pipeline). I was hoping for some more interesting stuff with this expansion, but it seems they are going the "predictable" route.
If Agrabah shouldn't be equated with the Middle East, doesn't that also mean that Arendelle shouldn't be equated with Norway?
Absolutely. That ride should not have gone in that pavillion. Maelstrom was in need of a major update, but the path they chose was incredibly lame and safe.

KDM31091

I hope the rumors of Radiator Springs are not true, as this is a huge project and probably the biggest MK will ever see anytime in the foreseeable future. I don’t want clones. Give us brand new things.

I agree Aladdin deserves more than a spinner and some more true water rides where you can cool off would be great too.

Brer Oswald

I hope the rumors of Radiator Springs are not true, as this is a huge project and probably the biggest MK will ever see anytime in the foreseeable future. I don’t want clones. Give us brand new things.

I agree Aladdin deserves more than a spinner and some more true water rides where you can cool off would be great too.
Right. I was hoping for ambitious risk taking projects that add visual diversity to the park. I'm not sold on Villains based on concept alone, but it still fits this description and could pay off MASSIVELY.

I'm hesitant towards Cars and Moana (and Coco to a much lesser extent). Too safe. Too uniform. Too predictable. Not "otherworldy" enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom