News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

tpoly88

The problem is the cost which, even when reasonable, would demand a more direct return on the investment. The reason for smaller scale attractions is to have the lower cost that can be justified without surveys of people saying it is the reason for their visit.
They need to pull some rides from other parks that they have already done like Journey to the Center of the earth at Disney Sea or the matterhorn. this would keep costs down as they have the scematics to build it already. They do need some more rides that take up capacity and less like 7DMT.

lazyboy97o

They need to pull some rides from other parks that they have already done like Journey to the Center of the earth at Disney Sea or the matterhorn. this would keep costs down as they have the scematics to build it already. They do need some more rides that take up capacity and less like 7DMT.
This does not present the savings many assume (see TRON and Ratatouille). They cannot just reuse the existing design documentation.

MrPromey

I could care less about cost. Just spend the money like they do in the international parks.

Historically, the difference is it was someone else's money (partially, largely, or completely) being spent in the international parks for making them better.

Since Imagineering was effectively charging and/or invoicing for their services, they were kind of "making" money for Disney Co. this way and getting someone else to help fund their own development and research in the process.

Our Rat was still overpriced but Disney likely wouldn't have even bothered if OLC hadn't helped pay for their initial forays into trackless ride systems with development of the original rat ride then going in the DLP budget.

Maybe we would have still gotten trackless ride systems like MMRR and Rise here eventually wtihout Pooh's Hunny Hunt and Aquatopia... or maybe not.

Same with Tron. It may be costing way more than it should but if the original development hadn't been partially bankrolled by the People's Republic of China*, do you think we'd be seeing it?

Credit where it is due, CRW seems to be a domestic original both in their use of a ride system and in theme and also not an apparent direct response to any competitor's threats but it's also missing a lot that people think it should have (like real animatronics somewhere and a good story for the "first ever storytelling coaster" that at least matches what competitors have already done in that arena) and a hideous, un-hidable show building.

*Okay, technically it's the Shanghai Shendi Group but guess who owns them?

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Y'know, I think I'm actually coming around to the Encanto/Coco land behind Big Thunder Mountain idea, so long as it's its own land and not part of Frontierland.

If it keeps them from shoehorning Encanto into Animal Kingdom like everyone's suggested they do, I'm all for it.

The villains land idea still sounds kind of stupid to me, though...
I don’t understand what the big draw would be to an encanto/coco “land”. There is an empty space next to the Mexico pavilion in Epcot build something there…that makes more sense

Touchdown

I don’t understand what the big draw would be to an encanto/coco “land”. There is an empty space next to the Mexico pavilion in Epcot build something there…that makes more sense
Besides pandering to a major demographic and being two beloved IP? What makes any Disney IP a draw?

The land of the dead is a fantastical colorful world that is a great setting for a ride. Encanto is a story that takes place in a magic house, which is also a great setting for a ride. They both also have fantastic soundtracks.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Besides pandering to a major demographic and being two beloved IP? What makes any Disney IP a draw?

The land of the dead is a fantastical colorful world that is a great setting for a ride. Encanto is a story that takes place in a magic house, which is also a great setting for a ride. They both also have fantastic soundtracks.
You just proved one of my points. It’s a setting for a “ride”, not a land with multiple attractions. Disney already overspends on things, every new thing doesn’t have to be in an overpriced land for itself

there are also many other fan favorite movies that could use attractions so why limit things by building a land taking up more real estate than necessary

BrianLo

The problem is the cost which, even when reasonable, would demand a more direct return on the investment. The reason for smaller scale attractions is to have the lower cost that can be justified without surveys of people saying it is the reason for their visit.

I wonder what your thoughts are given the ability to achieve some attraction specific ROI with Genie+ ILL?

It does bring a new interesting twist that the suits might find attractive.

Tha Realest

You just proved one of my points. It’s a setting for a “ride”, not a land with multiple attractions. Disney already overspends on things, every new thing doesn’t have to be in an overpriced land for itself

there are also many other fan favorite movies that could use attractions so why limit things by building a land taking up more real estate than necessary
I agree. But a ride in of itself needs to support at least one restaurant and a shop or two, from the perspective of the bean counters.

James Alucobond

While I generally agree that they're overly focused on creating new lands when there's a lot within existing lands that could be better utilized and expanded, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a smaller land that supports a couple of rides, restaurants, and retail, especially if they can make it flow organically. Heck, that's what Liberty Square already is.

lazyboy97o

I wonder what your thoughts are given the ability to achieve some attraction specific ROI with Genie+ ILL?

It does bring a new interesting twist that the suits might find attractive.
I don’t think it helps the situation. It might help get big attractions approved but those are the things that induce demand in the parks. Overall though I think there are now more incentives to not develop than to develop.

Disney’s costs are so high they need to offer and sell Individual Lightning Lane for years which doesn’t really help the cadence of development. That creates an incentive to not develop a new Individual Lightning Lane attraction if the existing one(s) are still generating revenue or even profits. You also don’t want to add more of the cheaper, smaller scale attractions, experiences and venues that service capacity because crowding is what encourages sales of Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lanes.

dreday3

You can most definitely build an entire land based on Coco's Land of The Dead. Think of Diagon Alley. We could enter through a graveyard and walk across the marigold bridge.
You can make all kinds of fun shops. You can do something along the wand store in HP but instead tie it to Alebrijas. We could go to a party at Ernesto De La Cruz'z house. See an art display by Frida Kahlo.

it would be amazing...

ppete1975

With the space it needs to do it right, unlike the overlay at mexico that some wanted, that would never had enough room.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
You can most definitely build an entire land based on Coco's Land of The Dead. Think of Diagon Alley. We could enter through a graveyard and walk across the marigold bridge.
You can make all kinds of fun shops. You can do something along the wand store in HP but instead tie it to Alebrijas. We could go to a party at Ernesto De La Cruz'z house. See an art display by Frida Kahlo.

it would be amazing...
possibly, I just think what Disney needs right now is more/numerous attractions to SPREAD crowds out across parks and in parks rather than a new expensive land in the MK

Ayla

possibly, I just think what Disney needs right now is more/numerous attractions to SPREAD crowds out across parks and in parks rather than a new expensive land in the MK
They'd take about the same amount of time to build in Disney time, so why not have an entire land that would hold more people instead of just a ride or two?

Touchdown

Coco’s e ticket is presumed to be a magic theatre (FoP, Soarin) to that I’ll add a slow moving boat ride and resturant, volia land very similar to Pandora. As for Encanto I still add that it makes more sense in AK where Antonio could host a South American animal trail that would feature a butterfly house and jaguars as the secondary attraction to the E ticket in the house (trackless dark ride) and a restaurant. I don’t have a great idea for a secondary ride in MK. Again a resturant is easy to tie in as well.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Coco’s e ticket is presumed to be a magic theatre (FoP, Soarin) to that I’ll add a slow moving boat ride and resturant, volia land very similar to Pandora. As for Encanto I still add that it makes more sense in AK where Antonio could host a South American animal trail that would feature a butterfly house and jaguars as the secondary attraction to the E ticket in the house (trackless dark ride) and a restaurant. I don’t have a great idea for a secondary ride in MK. Again a resturant is easy to tie in as well.
I personally think attracting more crowds to the MK is the last thing on the list they should be focusing on when the other parks are in such need of more

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom