News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

denyuntilcaught

Not sure why people are championing LESS information from WDI/Disney. As an adult you should be able to self regulate your expectations and your emotions about "What if" or "Blue Sky" information.
Well yes and no. Yes, people should absolutely second guess and manage expectations accordingly, but also brands have a responsibility to know how to deliver a message to their audience as well.

How many companies openly discuss "blue sky" projects with their audience in the largest forum possible, with the complete possibility that none of it comes to life?

Not many. Because that's what focus groups are for and is a complete misuse of what a forum like D23 is meant to deliver from a brand standpoint.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Well yes and no. Yes, people should absolutely second guess and manage expectations accordingly, but also brands have a responsibility to know how to deliver a message to their audience as well.

How many companies openly discuss "blue sky" projects with their audience in the largest forum possible, with the complete possibility that none of it comes to life?

Not many. Because that's what focus groups are for and is a complete misuse of what a forum like D23 is meant to deliver from a brand standpoint.
Exactly, it's the equivalent of Kevin Feige going to Comic Con and saying "We might make Endgame idk here's unfinished treatment"

JD80

I mean the news was they were going to expand MK and redo Dinoland. That was real and exciting.

They could have stopped there but we got some insight into WDI thinking. This allowed us to get a glimpse at potential Moana attractions which in turn gives us potential background into the rumored Adventureland update.

The MCU analogy is not a good one. The proper analogy is them showing a trailer a year out and some scenes were eventually cut or reshot.

Fox&Hound

Not sure how I feel about Zootopia coming to DHS- it looks weak and its another trackless ride which is not needed in DHS. The only way I would approve if it came with some all-ages g
Flat rides that DHS desperately needs.

So curious about what happens in MK. I hope
Villains land comes to fruition but I still think DHS would be a good fit for it too.

Whatever happens in WDW I hope they remember to add smaller rides and experiences too. Not everything has to be an E-ticket. Even adding something like Universal’s HP wand experience or Nintedo power up bands woulds go a long way. But people dont want to play on their cell phones. Why is DIS moving away from these experiences (cancelation of Scorers) while Universal is moving toward them????

The Leader of the Club

Exactly, it's the equivalent of Kevin Feige going to Comic Con and saying "We might make Endgame idk here's unfinished treatment"
B2rWNAMCIAAjaZV.jpg
mcu-phase-5-marvel.jpeg.webp

That’s almost exactly what happens at Marvel’s ComicCon panels. Unless I missed Inhumans, Ironheart, and Blade.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
B2rWNAMCIAAjaZV.jpg
mcu-phase-5-marvel.jpeg.webp

That’s almost exactly what happens at Marvel’s ComicCon panels. Unless I missed Inhumans, Ironheart, and Blade.
Well iron heart is a actually happening, yeah I admit that was a bad comparison now that you pointed that out. Either way I still don't think d23 is the right place to do blue sky talk. If you want to do that on say "We Call it Imagineering" fine but not at a convention stage. Or if you're going to do it at a convention stage, at least make it obvious and call it what it is instead of shoehorning it into the Park's announcement panel.

RSoxNo1

I feel HS might win out with it (Cars already in the park, would overall be a good addition for it) but I feel confident in saying Racers is heading to WDW.

I'm leaning towards MK personally because of pessimism but I can 100% see it in HS and hope that's where it ends up.

Just keep an eye on any rumor involving it, and a certain 30+ year old TV show in regards to Studios right now.

But we're getting off topic. Coco from what I heard from every source, even ones clashing on Racers, says it's a flight sim. I ate up FoP so I'm happy with it ending up as that.
Dinosaurs coming to DHS?
dinosaurs.jpg

Disstevefan1

Big thunder and the WDW RR will probably be closed for the entirety it takes to build whatever they are trying to build in this beyond Big Thunder project.

How many years are we guessing they will be closed? 3 or 4 years maybe?

BrianLo

Not sure why people are championing LESS information from WDI/Disney. As an adult you should be able to self regulate your expectations and your emotions about "What if" or "Blue Sky" information.

If anything, these two projects have been unfairly lumped in with cancelled projects. We got verifiable first run information without it having been leaked online first (or at least for this one, no one had an expansion Beyond Big Thunder on their radar). The projects have continued to proceed. The Animal Kingdom one is official and generally appears improved.

Absolutely all of it was signposted by the company as such every step of the way. It was great and I want more of it. Though ironically the people complaining about Bluesky the loudest are right back to requesting insider updates on the status of said project(s)…

Anyways, for the rest of us I appreciate Disney for its more open door policy, even if there’s a large monetary reason they engage in it. There’s a reason I’m a Disney fan and not a Comcast one.

I think the best analogy for BBTM is WDSP circa 2017. Moana = Avengers Campus, Coco = Frozen and all the rest is too far away to matter or be even finalized. They are in a future MK investment cycle that is TBD.

Purduevian

If anything, these two projects have been unfairly lumped in with cancelled projects. We got verifiable first run information without it having been leaked online first (or at least for this one, no one had an expansion Beyond Big Thunder on their radar). The projects have continued to proceed. The Animal Kingdom one is official and generally appears improved.

Absolutely all of it was signposted by the company as such every step of the way. It was great and I want more of it. Though ironically the people complaining about Bluesky the loudest are right back to requesting insider updates on the status of said project(s)…

Anyways, for the rest of us I appreciate Disney for its more open door policy, even if there’s a large monetary reason they engage in it. There’s a reason I’m a Disney fan and not a Comcast one.

I think the best analogy for BBTM is WDSP circa 2017. Moana = Avengers Campus, Coco = Frozen and all the rest is too far away to matter or be even finalized. They are in a future MK investment cycle that is TBD.
I think part of the frustration is there is nothing closer to reality they are working on, so all of our focus is on these far out projects.

After Tiana's official opens in a few days, I believe the only "new" attraction under construction for Disney will be Test Track v3. This is a big problem when a new attraction usually takes Disney about 3 years to build.

Meanwhile at universal... they have a whole theme park opening in 2025 with rumors floating around of a replacement for Rip Ride Rocket, Lost continent, and Simpsons in the same time frame as all the blue sky stuff.

Disney is currently missing the coming in the next 50ish months attractions which makes us obsess over the blue sky stuff.

BrianLo

I think part of the frustration is there is nothing closer to reality they are working on, so all of our focus is on these far out projects.

After Tiana's official opens in a few days, I believe the only "new" attraction under construction for Disney will be Test Track v3. This is a big problem when a new attraction usually takes Disney about 3 years to build.

Meanwhile at universal... they have a whole theme park opening in 2025 with rumors floating around of a replacement for Rip Ride Rocket, Lost continent, and Simpsons in the same time frame as all the blue sky stuff.

Disney is currently missing the coming in the next 50ish months attractions which makes us obsess over the blue sky stuff.

The latter two Universal Projects are supposedly now out in being rethought and 2030 for Pokémon. A rockit replacement and Luigi’s attraction seem to be the only things this decade. I suspect most of the Disney stuff we are discussing will be finished before either more exciting USF/IOA project.

But yes, it’s frustrating there’s been a major project cycle gap. Not talking about the next thing doesn’t make that worse or go away, it actually just magnifies it. I’m happier to have known major things were starting in 2022 as opposed to Chapek was maybe pivoting most investment to streaming as we figured last D23.

Purduevian

The latter two Universal Projects are supposedly now out in being rethought and 2030 for Pokémon. A rockit replacement and Luigi’s attraction seem to be the only things this decade. I suspect most of the Disney stuff we are discussing will be finished before either more exciting USF/IOA project.

But yes, it’s frustrating there’s been a major project cycle gap. Not talking about the next thing doesn’t make that worse or go away, it actually just magnifies it. I’m happier to have known major things were starting in 2022 as opposed to Chapek was maybe pivoting most investment to streaming as we figured last D23.
I'll be curious what will open first:
Any new major attraction at any USO park (outside of EU opening day roster)
Any new major attraction at any WDW park (outside of TT v3)

The fact that this is a question is kind of insane when Disney gave us concept art for stuff 647 days ago... and Universal is opening a new park next year and opened a re-themed kid land this summer.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom