News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

TheRealSkull

You’re really selling this franchise huh ?
In all seriousness, I just don't think RSR would be a bad addition. To summarize what I said earlier, great land, very beautiful, very profitable. But I'm sure whatever they put back there will be wonderful. It is MK's largest expansion in history after all, so the pressure is on at WDI.

Not trying to sell anything, just my opinion.

Chef idea Mickey`=

In all seriousness, I just don't think RSR would be a bad addition. To summarize what I said earlier, great land, very beautiful, very profitable. But I'm sure whatever they put back there will be wonderful. It is MK's largest expansion in history after all, so the pressure is on at WDI.

Not trying to sell anything, just my opinion.
I'm actually wondering something else, the largest expansion in MK's history deserves something that is timeless and beautiful. To not have the World of Arendelle and now Encanto relocated something colorful or landscape that lights up at night is necessary at least to contrast a Villains environment next door.

Haymarket2008

We have to remember that TDR is probably not expanding anytime soon in the foreseeable future so they had no choice but not knock this expansion out the park.

True, yet this would also apply to Magic Kingdom. The only TRUE expansion of genuine size left is the Beyond Big Thunder area. They have to nail this.

(The Adventureland expansion plot, AFAIK, isn’t being looked at for anything except for one ride. That doesn’t really count.)

TheRealSkull

I'm actually wondering something else, the largest expansion in MK's history deserves something that is timeless and beautiful. To not have the World of Arendelle and now Encanto relocated something colorful or landscape that lights up at night is necessary at least to contrast a Villains environment next door.
Whatever is next to Villians needs to be colorful (of course with a transition that is done correctly between the Villians land and whatever is going next to it to prevent sightline and anything from that area being visible from either side). I'm assuming we are saying this based off the idea that we associate the theme Villians with darker color palettes.

Hoping we don't go down this path in terms of lighting again. It wouldn't contrast Villians enough. I'm not hating it, it's cool, but it's starting to become a little repetitive:

Attachments

• 105268875-DISN525ZT_0068MS.jpg
    105268875-DISN525ZT_0068MS.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 64
  • d23-expo-parks-panel-tiana-bayou-adventure-concept-art-2.jpg
    d23-expo-parks-panel-tiana-bayou-adventure-concept-art-2.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 48830981711_fe930f9b1f_b.jpg
    48830981711_fe930f9b1f_b.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 64
  • tokyo-disneyland-space-mountain_2-800x464.jpeg
    tokyo-disneyland-space-mountain_2-800x464.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 65

James Alucobond

I'm assuming we are saying this based off the idea that we associate the theme Villians with darker color palettes.
I don’t mind if they go that route with the central castle, cathedral, or whatever in a possible villain expansion, but I hope the land itself is not colorless and dull. That would be a poor expression of Disney’s villains, who are themselves often incredibly vibrant. I realize it’s not finished yet, but the Dark Universe look of a bunch of gray stone that seems to have been rubbed down with a metric ton of bootblack is exactly what I don’t want.

TheRealSkull

I don’t mind if they go that route with the central castle, cathedral, or whatever in a possible villain expansion, but I hope the land itself is not colorless and dull. That would be a poor expression of Disney’s villains, who are themselves often incredibly vibrant. I realize it’s not finished yet, but the Dark Universe look of a bunch of gray stone that seems to have been rubbed down with a metric ton of bootblack is exactly what I don’t want.
I doubt it. Like you said, that's Universal's bread and butter. Disney's Villians are much more whimsical. Renaissance era ones at least.

doctornick

True, yet this would also apply to Magic Kingdom. The only TRUE expansion of genuine size left is the Beyond Big Thunder area. They have to nail this.

(The Adventureland expansion plot, AFAIK, isn’t being looked at for anything except for one ride. That doesn’t really count.)
There’s other space - some requiring less work than others - that can be used to expand MK besides BBTM. there’s a designated expansion pad north of Tron for example.

easyrowrdw

Exactly. A Fantasy Springs style expansion based on villains is pretty much ideal for MK. I don't really understand why the powers that be have seemed to sour on the villains idea (especially given the positive in person response and online chatter)
Villains seems like something that excites “Disney adults” and a lot of superfans online. I don’t know how well that translates to regular guests and kids, in particular. Anecdotally, I think my kids would be scared at the prospect of it.

doctornick

Villains seems like something that excites “Disney adults” and a lot of superfans online. I don’t know how well that translates to regular guests and kids, in particular. Anecdotally, I think my kids would be scared at the prospect of it.

I don't really think that would be a significant problem, especially as I would expect the villains to be more flamboyant than creepy. They have villains M&Gs in the parks and resorts and kids do just fine.

That being said, if Disney has a concern about this, seems to me an easy way to deal with it is to have the villains land set up in a way that you can bypass it if walking near the entrance as opposed to being funneled into it if you are near. So I guess what I'm picturing is Coco or whatever else is build BBTM, you can walk from there to the other side of the RoA (near HM) without entering villains land, but also having entrances to the villains area off the path that you can go in if you desire.

mysto

The TTC parking lot is huge, they could totally built Lawrence of Arabia land there. Complete with majestic vistas. Or more likely 20,000 DVC studios.

SilentWindODoom

Whatever is next to Villians needs to be colorful (of course with a transition that is done correctly between the Villians land and whatever is going next to it to prevent sightline and anything from that area being visible from either side). I'm assuming we are saying this based off the idea that we associate the theme Villians with darker color palettes.

Hoping we don't go down this path in terms of lighting again. It wouldn't contrast Villians enough. I'm not hating it, it's cool, but it's starting to become a little repetitive:

Ohmygoodness! A forest. It would be the perfect. Have a forest at the edge of the other portions of the expansion becoming more gnarled and Snow-White-like until you hit the land. It's so iconic. Not just in the Disney canon, but it's often said the whole point of fairy tales like the Grimm ones was to scare children out of trusting strangers and wandering from home into dangerous places like the forest. Using that transition to travel into the land would be perfect.

I don't really think that would be a significant problem, especially as I would expect the villains to be more flamboyant than creepy. They have villains M&Gs in the parks and resorts and kids do just fine.

That being said, if Disney has a concern about this, seems to me an easy way to deal with it is to have the villains land set up in a way that you can bypass it if walking near the entrance as opposed to being funneled into it if you are near. So I guess what I'm picturing is Coco or whatever else is build BBTM, you can walk from there to the other side of the RoA (near HM) without entering villains land, but also having entrances to the villains area off the path that you can go in if you desire.

While this sounds like a good idea, I don't know if this is possible without traveling through the current location of and evicting the native tribe on the waterfront. It's bad enough they decided that the jungle is a place for foreign tourists and the locals don't belong there. I do not want to see the same on the Rivers of America.

Bocabear

it excites more than adults... pre-teens and teens as well...also anyone that is not terrified of pirates or the Haunted mansion... toddlers and very young children might be scared now, but what will they be in 5 years when the land finally opens? I bet not scared.....and how scary do you honestly expect a Magic Kingdom land to be? This is Disney not Universal Halloween Horror Nights....if they are terrified they can go on one of the other attractions in the park...thing about kids is, they grow up....and what scared them one year, may not the next year... and they will be past the toddler stage for way longer than they are in it...

easyrowrdw

it excites more than adults... pre-teens and teens as well...also anyone that is not terrified of pirates or the Haunted mansion... toddlers and very young children might be scared now, but what will they be in 5 years when the land finally opens? I bet not scared.....and how scary do you honestly expect a Magic Kingdom land to be? This is Disney not Universal Halloween Horror Nights....if they are terrified they can go on one of the other attractions in the park...thing about kids is, they grow up....and what scared them one year, may not the next year... and they will be past the toddler stage for way longer than they are in it...
If Disney does it I would hope you’re correct. I don’t think they’d want to build an entire land (not just a ride) that is a turnoff for a large chunk of their guests. There are always more kids coming to replace those that age out. But by avoiding that would they then turn off the adults who seem most excited about the idea? Seems like a tricky balance.

I’m just now back reading these boards after a long time. It’s not clear to me what the status of this stuff is. Some posts make it sound like it’s happening while others like it’s dead.

Bocabear

If Disney does it I would hope you’re correct. I don’t think they’d want to build an entire land (not just a ride) that is a turnoff for a large chunk of their guests. There are always more kids coming to replace those that age out. But by avoiding that would they then turn off the adults who seem most excited about the idea? Seems like a tricky balance.

I’m just now back reading these boards after a long time. It’s not clear to me what the status of this stuff is. Some posts make it sound like it’s happening while others like it’s dead.
I am sure any Villains land or attraction would be handled in a family-friendly and fun kind of way. Disney villains ( most of them) are vibrant and often silly caricatures... Vibrant, colorful and quirky... There is no reason to think they would handle them any other way... Like I said, it's not Halloween Horror Nights... And having a villain section that some of the tiniest kids might be a little afraid of makes it one of those milestone moments...when they are finally old enough to not be afraid and then realize it was all fun and a little silly...as the Disney Villains tend to be...

wedenterprises

That's LED lighting for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom