News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

mattpeto

Sunday evening (virtual) happy hour and the good stuff came out - literally and figuratively.

Confidence is high for Moana and Coco in MK.

While other plans are afoot, they are sounding further off and out of focus. And we know the mouse's track record with Phase IIs.

Wouldn't be shocked if they're weighing the massive, as-discussed MK expansion vs. additional, moderate expansions at all 4 parks. Is the full "14 acre" BBTM juice worth the (infrastructure cost) squeeze?

Moana in AL or beyond BTM?

SpectroBro

In the Parks
Yes
Sunday evening (virtual) happy hour and the good stuff came out - literally and figuratively.

Confidence is high for Moana and Coco in MK.

While other plans are afoot, they are sounding further off and out of focus. And we know the mouse's track record with Phase IIs.

Wouldn't be shocked if they're weighing the massive, as-discussed MK expansion vs. additional, moderate expansions at all 4 parks. Is the full "14 acre" BBTM juice worth the (infrastructure cost) squeeze?
Honestly I’d rather see them do something with the Stitch space in the near term.

lazyboy97o

Allegedly this will never happen because the whole building - which includes Cosmic Ray's - would have to be completely gutted and rebuilt to current code.
Between the EPCOT Building Code, Florida Building Code and Florida Fire Prevention Code there are different levels and criteria of renovation that trigger different amounts of updates. This is all dependent on the specific design of the existing facility, the nature of the new project and the scope of work. The big thing that really triggers significant updates is a change of occupancy, but a new attraction would not be a change of occupancy.

PREMiERdrum

They're still considering Moana for Animal Kingdom?
No.

AK is locked with Indy, Encanto, and a Coco-inspired carousel.
Additional expansion being considered with Lion King and/or Pandora.

MK is trending towards Moana in AL and Coco as BBTM phase 1.

RSR, Villains, Zootopia are also under consideration for both MK and DHS. Very much undecided what and where at this point.

castlecake2.0

No.

AK is locked with Indy, Encanto, and a Coco-inspired carousel.
Additional expansion being considered with Lion King and/or Pandora.

MK is trending towards Moana in AL and Coco as BBTM phase 1.

RSR, Villains, Zootopia are also under consideration for both MK and DHS. Very much undecided what and where at this point.
RSR to where Indy show is, easy transition, from Hollywood Blvd to that area, retheme backlot to a car garage; done. Keep star tours and move all the Star Wars characters to the celebrity spotlight area and have a small out of universe Star Wars area; done. Put all the Disney characters back into the animation building with some updated props and animation academy; done.

PREMiERdrum

RSR to where Indy show is, easy transition, from Hollywood Blvd to that area, retheme backlot to a car garage; done. Keep star tours and move all the Star Wars characters to the celebrity spotlight area and have a small out of universe Star Wars area; done. Put all the Disney characters back into the animation building with some updated props and animation academy; done.
Indy is safe for the foreseeable future. Echo Lake development is off the table.

doctornick

They're still considering Moana for Animal Kingdom?

Are you kidding me?

Moana in DAK as part of a larger Oceania land would, to me, be a pretty reasonable idea. I would actually support that especially if it brought in some new live animals from that part of the world.

That being said, as has been mentioned, it seems that putting Moana in Adventureland in MK is the current thinking and IMHO that's a pretty ideal use of the IP.

doctornick

Indy is safe for the foreseeable future. Echo Lake development is off the table.

Which is fine if they actually build something to replace the old Animation building (Launch Bay and the attached offices) - and connect it to the RNR area - because that is the more underutilized space. There's nothing particularly "wrong" with the IJ stunt show except that it is old. But I would hope/expect that Echo Lake as a land would be viewed for possible expansion in the future, especially if they can use some of the surrounding parking for additional land in that park.

PREMiERdrum

Which is fine if they actually build something to replace the old Animation building (Launch Bay and the attached offices) - and connect it to the RNR area - because that is the more underutilized space. There's nothing particularly "wrong" with the IJ stunt show except that it is old. But I would hope/expect that Echo Lake as a land would be viewed for possible expansion in the future, especially if they can use some of the surrounding parking for additional land in that park.
Indy still scores incredibly high, and takes a huge amount of people out of park circulation every couple of hours.

DHS was thought to be "done" with expansion by leadership as recently as last year. Their attention for expansion has now focused to the NW corner.

In the Parks
No
Would the DHS RSR look something like this? [from the guidemap perspective]
1713186082462.png

doctornick

Weird as that would be the easiest side of the park to adjust. I just can’t imagine how costly it would be to move all the infrastructure that currently resides between animation and RNR.

But that's the rub... the removing and relocating the backstage infrastructure behind Animation courtyard is exactly what would benefit the park the most by expanding the footprint of guest areas and helping to connect Animation with RNR (fixing the deadend for Sunset Blvd). If it were DLR and they had to squeeze in something, they would have no problem with moving heaven and earth to make use of every possible square inch. DHS deserves the same consideration even if it is costly.

I recall from when the big DHS revisions with TSL and GE were first being planned, there was also another "phase" of expansion - I think it was conceptually an Indiana Jones area - that @marni1971 had talked about for the Animation Courtyard area. So, doing something in that area has been thought about for a while and I'm sure they have plans in place for how they could address the backstage stuff there to make it work.

They do have usable land on the other side of World Dr. It wouldn't be that odd to just put backstage stuff there with an elevated walkway over the street for CMs to get to the park.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom