News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

SirLink

They don’t have a great track record with those non-book report attractions. The best ones are Indy and Rise, but those work because the “new story” is really just a greatest hits compilation.

Also a good example of how to do a Villains land is from one part of the 'House of Villains' animated movie where you had Jafar, Hook, Ursla, Hades and Cruella team as the main up to take over House of Mouse. It did portray them as best of buddies. Or even Kingdom Hearts where the Villains were buddies like Pete and Maleficiant.

Its not like a Villains land is a this wacky brand new concept for MK there was one pitched years ago, its just the concept was they kept plotting to take over MK.

Consumer

I was always fond of these old Disneyland commercials for Halloween. Doesn't mean a land based on them would be a good idea.

They don’t have a great track record with those non-book report attractions. The best ones are Indy and Rise, but those work because the “new story” is really just a greatest hits compilation.
Agreed. Star Tours, Radiator Springs Racers, and Pandora all do the same thing. Yes, they're not "book report rides," but they're by no means separated from the source material.

britain

Agreed. Star Tours, Radiator Springs Racers, and Pandora all do the same thing. Yes, they're not "book report rides," but they're by no means separated from the source material.
Yes, which makes me feel that Tiana’s is taking that “We can do more than book reports” aspiration a little too far. I mean, will there be any changing into frogs in this new story? I guess we’ll find out.

MagicHappens1971

Yes, which makes me feel that Tiana’s is taking that “We can do more than book reports” aspiration a little to far. I mean, will there be any changing into frogs in this new story? I guess we’ll find out.
The lack of changing into frogs seems very rooted in the fact that Disney has caught a lot of flack for the fact that they created their first African-American princess and then she spent the majority of the movie as a frog.

DisneyDean97

The lack of changing into frogs seems very rooted in the fact that Disney has caught a lot of flack for the fact that they created their first African-American princess and then she spent the majority of the movie as a frog.
Absolutely, although I still can't believe they couldn't think of a way to include Dr. Facilier... he would have looked incredible as an AA

MagicHappens1971

Absolutely, although I still can't believe they couldn't think of a way to include Dr. Facilier... he would have looked incredible as an AA
I don't believe in the conspiracies that Disney is stepping away from the character, just more so that this story clearly takes place after the film and Dr. Facilier got sucked into the "other side".

DisneyDean97

So, can one of our insiders confirm, that basically phase 1 of Beyond Big Thunder Mountain will be a Frontierland expansion, and then a phase 2 will debut as a new "land", whether its Villains or whatever else they come up with??
And then the new Moana attraction will open up before either phases of Beyond Big Thunder Mountain?

BrianLo

We have a source from earlier this week at a WDI presser....
Then came presentations by portfolio executives from Florida who provided new details about the plans for Tropical Americas in Animal Kingdom and Beyond Big Thunder at Magic Kingdom. This was the meatiest portion of the presentation, with new substantive details about the Dino-Rama replacement featuring Indiana Jones, Encanto, and Coco plus brand-new concept art for the area.

But this is the BBTM thread. I posted that in the DAK Expansion thread...

The back-and-forth we've seen with the art is atypical, and a direct result of them knowing what properties they wanted to use and which areas they want to develop and redevelop, but not having a clue what and where.

The Moana art we saw for AK was first drawn for another location. Same for Zootopia. The Encanto and Coco grafts had a similar path. BBTM had a very unlikely path due to development costs until relatively recently, so the cards seems to have been shuffled again. Coco, Encanto, and Moana have immense internal support. Getting Coco into AK was a no-brainer with the Tropical Americas land, but the as-designed Coco E-Ticket is absolutely the leading candidate to anchor BBTM.

I was all ready to admit defeat and move on… but you guys perhaps missed Tom’s more specific quote from the AK article. The team continued to only talk about Encanto and Indy…

“Vaughn also indicated that Imagineering had considered several options for Dino-Rama and Tropical Americas, but that Encanto and Indiana Jones “rose to the top” because they give Imagineering “so much to play with.” Vaughn also indicated that there’s “a long way to go and a lot more to discover, but our team in Florida is all over it.

All of that suggests Tropical Americas featuring Encanto and Indiana Jones is the plan for Dino-Rama. Coco also seems to maybe have a place in Tropical Americas, with a carousel replacing TriceraTop Spin, restaurant replacing Restaurantosaurus, and courtyard architecture reminiscent of Santa Cecilia. Beyond the concept art above, I saw concept art reflecting the latter during a recent visit to Imagineering.”

While I want to stoke the hair pulling conspiracies, I do want to adjust my positioning. I think the carousel is indeed Coco for now… and I think the weirdness about this is exactly all to do with the BBTM project. It certainly seems like they aren’t willing to let go of the Coco E-ticket. Whether that means they are trying to downplay Coco, because the real presence is still on the table for later, OR if they are still willing to late pivot the Coco elements to Encanto (if they go all in on Coco for MK) are two good explanations for why they are being so weird.

Though the ‘it’s definitely not and never was a Coco spinner’ seems to be least likely now.

TalkingHead

If the blog brigade was brought in for the song and dance, WDI must really be sErIoUs this time. Did Lou Mongello’s invite get lost in the mail?

WaltWiz1901

Just gonna throw in my two cents regarding a villain-centric (mini-)land and say that it could work...if, as was said previously, they went with a specific concept (like a dark forest or haunted village) and stuck to whoever would fit the direction being taken. Just making it a place for all of the villains to pal around isn't that good a look

GenChi

I'm admittedly very interested in their internal stats where they are getting that Coco of all things is going to be generate so many visitors that they need to make two brand new rides for the film at different parks so there aren't these like 5 hour waits, but at the same time Frozen is only popular enough for the hand me down EPCOT ride

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom