News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

BrianLo

That makes it sound even more like a narrative ploy than aiming for the fences. New stuff is welcome but this is the same company that’s specialized in chronically short and overhyped rides *with a few noticeable exceptions* over the past decade. Curious if anything reported would rival ROTR in terms of ambition.

100 percent speculating - but I'm thinking the Pandora boat ride might for ambition. The confluence of Cameron and Iger's legacy along with having their "ROTR" guy on the project.

Though I assume you are talking about WDW? Maybe not, almost nothing rivals Rise in terms of scope, scale and spend. Even Mystic Manor, which is personally just as good in many ways, is totally a small scale experience by comparison. Shanghai Pirates ride itself is the only thing that aims for the fences like Rise did. Though Rise has the pre-ride experience dialled up to 100. Actually, maybe Cosmic Rewind deserves a slight nod.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Another option they could go (though I’m not suggesting they will) would be to expand the scope of the villains land to be a general spooky land and include this ride there. Or even keep it as villains land and heavily feature de la Cruz in the ride.

This makes more sense to me. Or at least in addition to. Could be smorgasbord of spoopy and sinister villainy. It'd be like Kingdom Hearts with the classic, more iconic villains with bits and pieces borrowed from Freeform's "31 nights of Halloween" programming block. Hocus Pocus, Nightmare before Christmas. Heck even Monster's Inc would make the grade. Doesn't have to necessarily lean Halloween, but there's enough "there" in addition to the villains brand and their stories to make a solid land or park. :why not both meme:

Ichabod Crane

Honest question:

Who has the more iconic villains?

Universal Monsters, or Disney Villains?

I honestly go back and forth on this.

The Universal monsters *feel* of the same era and place setting in a way that feels like they could exist in the same universe.

The House of Mouse Villains type team up may work for a made for tv film or a Kingdom Hearts game, but not sure how you could see it working in a thematically consistent land…
I’m really tempted to go with the monsters here because they are effective the mascots for Halloween as a whole.

mickEblu

Why is the current version of Frontierland problematic? What’s left that could possibly be deemed problematic? Because it’s a land themed to an Old Western town? Runaway mine cars? Is it just an offensive aesthetic because it might remind people of mid 20th century Americas fascination with Western movies and Cowboys and Indians? If so that’s pretty weak. What am I missing?

yensidtlaw1969

Honest question:

The Universal monsters *feel* of the same era and place setting in a way that feels like they could exist in the same universe.

The House of Mouse Villains type team up may work for a made for tv film or a Kingdom Hearts game, but not sure how you could see it working in a thematically consistent land…
Fantasyland isn't thematically consistent - it's just the place where many of the Disney Heroes seem to live, or play, or be. What reason do Peter Pan, Ariel, and Alice have to "pal around" in one area together other than that it creates a fun and satisfying guest experience?

I think some people here are really overthinking this. There are absolutely Villains Land concepts that could work effectively for a wide audience while also fitting the DNA of The Magic Kingdom.

Bleed0range

Fantasyland isn't thematically consistent - it's just the place where many of the Disney Heroes seem to live, or play, or be. What reason do Peter Pan, Ariel, and Alice have to "pal around" in one area together other than that it creates a fun and satisfying guest experience?

I think some people here are really overthinking this. There are absolutely Villains Land concepts that could work effectively for a wide audience while also fitting the DNA of The Magic Kingdom.

This is precisely why I think it works so well for MK. It’s like the “dark” fantasyland. I loved someone’s idea of the fireworks show having different audio and visuals there. That could spread the crowds out for the show to two different places in the park.

yensidtlaw1969

This is precisely why I think it works so well for MK. It’s like the “dark” fantasyland. I loved someone’s idea of the fireworks show having different audio and visuals there. That could spread the crowds out for the show to two different places in the park.
I meant to add when that was brought up, Disneyland has just implemented this exact idea with "Fire of the Rising Moons", where the visible Disneyland fireworks are given a Star Wars soundtrack that's only played in Galaxy's Edge, essentially creating a unique show for that land.

I would think this same idea could very easily (and perhaps quite successfully) be implemented in a Villains Land.

haveyoumetmark

Fair enough, though I will admit that it seems like such an odd choice to me. Coco is a fantastic film, but you can make a solid enough land using Encanto and IJ with some general Latin America flourishes. Why waste Coco on something as trivial as a carousel? Especially as it seems that it is still in the running to be used in the Beyond Thunder Mountain aspect - some have mentioned that a Coco version of FoP is still in contention there. and Coco would be a good neighbor thematically to Frontierland for the transition.

IMHO just make the flat ride in Tropical Americas related to Encanto and move on. Don't waste Coco for nothing.
They can use Coco as many times as they want. “Wasting” it is kind of a silly way to look at it in my opinion. It’s not like they get 1 Coco ride. They can do whatever they want and it still won’t be a waste. In fact, it might be more of a wasted opportunity if they don’t use it as much as they can.
What if MK’s Coco Land is the Land of the Dead while DAK’s Coco area is the land of the living?
You’re making too much sense! What if DAK’s carousel represents a cultural nod to Alebrijes as brightly colored Mexican folk art with a Coco tie-in while the MK attraction represents something more like what we see and experience in the film and fantasy of Coco.

Alerbijes are a real part of culture irrespective of Coco. The Coco tie-in doesn’t make the carousel and MK experiences redundant. It’s like they might as well cut BBTM because they have folk art in the lobby of the Mexico EPCOT pavilion. Please be for real…
I may have missed it, but why are they not putting Coco in the most obvious place, Three Caballeros?
No room. That pavilion doesn’t need more attendance. It can’t handle the popularity of the 80-year old Three Caballeros… just imagine Coco.
It's not just the carousel -- it's the whole design of the land around the carousel.

While the design is Spanish colonial in general and thus doesn't have to relate to Coco specifically, I'm concerned we are going to end up with very similar areas at both the MK and DAK.

They could just build a Coco E-ticket at the MK with a single facade and not a Mexican inspired land around it, though.
As mentioned previously, MK is fantastical where DAK places more weight on realism. It’s the same difference between EPCOT Germany and Fantasyland, the EPCOT Outpost and DAK Africa, DHS Hollywood/Sunset BLVDs and Main Street USA, World Discovery and Tomorrowland. There are a ton of ways they can differentiate the lands and make them distinct.
Must we get another Soarin' ride? Even Soarin' 2.0 with the new patent isn't exactly a gamechanger.
I agree with this, but I think I’ll appreciate the thrill. Your post doesn’t mention FoP but that feels like Soarin 2.0 to me, and sometimes I feel like the only person who doesn’t care for it. Much prefer Soarin over California than Soarin over Pandora. Who knows… Soarin over Coco might best them all.
I'd be SHOCKED if that's what we're getting for COCO.
Well then you might want to be seated for what’s next LOL
I'm admittedly very interested in their internal stats where they are getting that Coco of all things is going to be generate so many visitors that they need to make two brand new rides for the film at different parks so there aren't these like 5 hour waits, but at the same time Frozen is only popular enough for the hand me down EPCOT ride
It’s a strategic business operation chasing growth. Why don’t you look at American demographic trends as a start, extrapolate past 2050 and then go from there. Frozen is adequately represented in FL with planned expansion in CA and heavy representation globally.
Honest question:

I don’t think this matters. It depends how you measure what it means to be iconic. They are each iconic to different groups of people. I find them both to be super iconic in different ways. It’s not a superlative thing. There’s no right answer.

Bingo.
The conversation behind Frontierland's issues is really being mischaracterized here, and really shouldn't continue apace.

Perhaps it'd be better to center the conversation on Disney's forthcoming plans and the surrounding rumors instead of what people have decided for themselves the motivations behind them *must* be.
On a roll.

Ghost93

The Disney Villains are great and melodramatic archetypes to love to hate, but don't really work out of context without their great heroes facing them.
Who says there aren't heroes in the villain land? I thought the entire idea is that WE the parkgoers would faceoff against the Disney villains in the attractions, and maybe the heroic characters from the movie might make a cameo to assist. But the idea is that the park guests are the heroes.

flyerjab

Overthinking? Here? On these forums? That never happens.

aladdin2007

I have to hand it to him, Josh previously seemed very ineffective. But he probably was just treading water while the Chapek fiasco was going on.
I was impressed with him in the new video show, I feel like he is now being allowed to have a stronger position, and he came across more genuine than ever before....I think the one that needs to go is Vahle from the sound of things.

flyerjab

Let’s put it yet another way: C-3PO does not pal around with Mickey Mouse. Sure, you can have them in a silly TV commercial together. But you DO NOT have Jedi Mickey show up in Star Tours.

You may say, but they aren’t under the same brand. But you can’t say that all the movies under the Disney animation label happened in the same universe. Bowler Hat Man and Scar aren’t friends.

Now, that was an extreme example. Sure, some may be a better fit than others (Hook and Prince Hans? Ursula and Hades?) But in that case make the land a Theives Port? Or the Underworld? Unfortunately that will probably be too restrictive for Marketing’s desire to put “Disney Villains” stuff in the shops.
The problem now is that Iger and company has followed the Harry Potter unified land concept so much that we spend too much time trying to logically build a land with villains from different stories and make it all fit into some kind of cogent storyline.

Maybe, just maybe, this land will be made like they used to be made: a collection of concepts similar in theme but not unified into a consistent story. Original Fantasyland was built this way. What does 20,000 Leagues, Peter Pan and Cinderella have in common? Also, just because it is a Villains’ land, why can’t there be heroes present in the rides? It’s one of the things I hate about the new land idea. It’s too limiting.

Last edited:

pigglewiggle

Honest question:

Universal Monsters, no contest.

If only people didn't relentlessly bash the Tom Cruise mummy film. It was actually a fun popcorn movie and was setting up to be a great Universal Classic Monster series of movies. But I digress.
Anyways, looking forward to that part of Universal Epic.

Incomudro

The problem now is that Iger and company has followed the Harry Potter unified land concept so much that we spend too much time trying to logically build a land with villains from different stories and make it all fit into some kind of cogent storyline.

Maybe, just maybe, this land will be made like they used to be made: a collection of concepts similar in theme but not unified into a consistent story. Original Fantasyland was built this way. What does 20,000 Leagues, Peter Pan and Cinderella have in common? Also, just because it is a Jillian’s land, why can’t there be heroes present in the rides? It’s one of the things I hate about the new land idea. It’s too limiting.
Oh, how I would love to see a 20k in Villian's Land under the idea that Captain Nemo was a villain.
Even if though he isn't a villain in my eyes.

Dcgc28

Why is the current version of Frontierland problematic? What’s left that could possibly be deemed problematic? Because it’s a land themed to an Old Western town? Runaway mine cars? Is it just an offensive aesthetic because it might remind people of mid 20th century Americas fascination with Western movies and Cowboys and Indians? If so that’s pretty weak. What am I missing?
Why was Toontown problematic? Why was the original Fantasyland problematic? Why was the sorcerers hat problematic at DHS?

Sometimes things change and there isn't some devious decision behind that choice. Sometimes it's just time to update or move on, Frontierland is very very boring aside from it's two rides, so it makes sense that it would be updated or moved on from. That's it, nothing more. Nothing less.

Jrb1979

Why was Toontown problematic? Why was the original Fantasyland problematic? Why was the sorcerers hat problematic at DHS?

Sometimes things change and there isn't some devious decision behind that choice. Sometimes it's just time to update or move on, Frontierland is very very boring aside from it's two rides, so it makes sense that it would be updated or moved on from. That's it, nothing more. Nothing less.
That's the problem I have with all of this. They are going all in to kill any theme each park had at one point. Each park felt unique and different. Now it's all about getting E-ticket IP where ever they can regardless if it fits the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom