News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

britain

With this logic we should close Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror since the main characters of those rides are ā€œsociopathsā€ too lmao. I donā€™t get why so many people use the ā€œVillains are bad so nobody would like themā€ argument, because if that was true, they would be nowhere near as popular as they are today. If the fact that the villains act like villains makes you so personally riled up, then you must be fun at parties lol

Also who says that Disney wouldnā€™t just create a story of how the Villains work with each other. I meanā€¦they already have. House of Mouse, Villains After Hours, character interactions, etc.

They are popular because they perform an essential part of basic mythic storytelling. It is cathartic to see heroes overcome villains. And villains are an entertaining mirror to hold up and see the flaws in ourselves.

But acres devoted to the sort of thing that makes a funny joke on house of mouse is, as I said, shortsighted.

britain

Villains land does not have to be the same as scary. Descendants is a popular franchise around villains that kids love. Snow White dining at Artist Pointe has the Queen as the main character interaction. There are plenty of kids there.
Oh I totally doubt it would be scary. It will just be eye rollingly painful for anyone who actually appreciates the myths and legends that the villains came from.

Itā€™s as true to the characters as Rogers: The Musical is to the Avengers.

Last edited:

britain

Let me put it another way, I think Universalā€™s monsters land will be very successful, because a little gloomy Bavarian Village where the Wolfman, Frankenstein, and Dracula will terrorize people is true to their original stories. But none of the most famous Disney villains have a land of their own and a league of comrades.

ā€œDisney Villainsā€ isnā€™t really a thing. Itā€™s a marketing push.

Brer Panther

Especially when stuff like Descendants has been show to be popular with the younger set.
Oh, geez, we're gonna get a Descendants attraction as part of this land, aren't we?
Villains are what make the regular ā€œHeroā€ attractions great. Attractions with nothing but baddies would be boring. One-note.
I fully agree.

britain

Letā€™s put it yet another way: C-3PO does not pal around with Mickey Mouse. Sure, you can have them in a silly TV commercial together. But you DO NOT have Jedi Mickey show up in Star Tours.

You may say, but they arenā€™t under the same brand. But you canā€™t say that all the movies under the Disney animation label happened in the same universe. Bowler Hat Man and Scar arenā€™t friends.

Now, that was an extreme example. Sure, some may be a better fit than others (Hook and Prince Hans? Ursula and Hades?) But in that case make the land a Theives Port? Or the Underworld? Unfortunately that will probably be too restrictive for Marketingā€™s desire to put ā€œDisney Villainsā€ stuff in the shops.

PREMiERdrum

On Frontierland and BBTM:

As currently executed, FL is by far the most restrictive of the four "big" MK lands. With a relatively minor tweak of style and storytelling, this area could be recast as a celebration of the natural beauty and ethos of this region. By focusing on a more natural setting for BBTM, you can help preserve the heart and vibe of FL.

On Villiand Land / Dark Kingdom:

There is without a doubt great concept work happening here. My biggest hesitation is that - no matter what they're able to fund and deliver - this project will struggle to live up to expectations, as it's taken on a mythos of it's own. I'll happily be proven wrong, but I see some of these concepts making it to a DHS expansion - perhaps one with a transportative device that allows it to be fully indoors.

DisneyDodo

While there are certainly children who would refuse to step foot in a Villains-themed land, I donā€™t anticipate it would be anywhere near the majority. In fact, I expect this land would have attractions that would be much more accessible to young children than many other attractions at MK (not to mention DHS and DAK).

Even princess rides like TBA, 7DMT, and probably whatever they end up building for Moana, are inaccessible to many young kids, who either canā€™t (due to height restrictions) or wonā€™t ride. Compare that to HM, MNSSHP, or, say, an Ursula spinner, spooky-themed experiences that many kids do/would love.

I think the demographic that would be most let down by a Villians land would be childless adults who have been clamoring for a villians-themed land (or park) that will genuinely scare them. Iā€™m quite confident in predicting that Disney wouldnā€™t build something of that nature.

Consumer

As currently executed, FL is by far the most restrictive of the four "big" MK lands. It's central source material - a romanticized and whitewashed fairytale of our nation's westward expansion - is inherently problematic. With a relatively minor tweak of style and storytelling, this area could be recast as a celebration of the natural beauty and ethos of this region. By focusing on a more natural setting for BBTM, you can help preserve the heart and vibe of FL.
There is nothing wrong with a fairy tale depiction of the Wild West, unless you also take issue with fairy tale depictions of the African jungle (where all the warlords?), turn-of-the-century America (where is all the eugenics?), Colonial America (where are all the slaves?), or the future (where is the nuclear holocaust?).

SirLink

Let me put it another way, I think Universalā€™s monsters land will be very successful, because a little gloomy Bavarian Village where the Wolfman, Frankenstein, and Dracula will terrorize people is true to their original stories. But none of the most famous Disney villains have a land of their own and a league of comrades.

ā€œDisney Villainsā€ isnā€™t really a thing. Itā€™s a marketing push.

Not quite some of those from some of the monster movies you have mentioned are in fact the hero's in the EU land . But in any case Frankentein wouldn't be chasing you even if that wasn't the case it would be Frankenstein's monster.

Centering a land around Villains allows WDI to be some what creative rather than doing another *yawn* book report the ride based on the latest animated feature.

britain

Not quite some of those from some of the monster movies you have mentioned are in fact the hero's in the EU land . But in any case Frankentein wouldn't be chasing you even if that wasn't the case it would be Frankenstein's monster.

Centering a land around Villains allows WDI to be some what creative rather than doing another *yawn* book report the ride based on the latest animated feature.

They donā€™t have a great track record with those non-book report attractions. The best ones are Indy and Rise, but those work because the ā€œnew storyā€ is really just a greatest hits compilation.

EricsBiscuit

As currently executed, FL is by far the most restrictive of the four "big" MK lands. It's central source material - a romanticized and whitewashed fairytale of our nation's westward expansion - is inherently problematic. With a relatively minor tweak of style and storytelling, this area could be recast as a celebration of the natural beauty and ethos of this region. By focusing on a more natural setting for BBTM, you can help preserve the heart and vibe of FL.

On Villiand Land / Dark Kingdom:

There is without a doubt great concept work happening here. My biggest hesitation is that - no matter what they're able to fund and deliver - this project will struggle to live up to expectations, as it's taken on a mythos of it's own. I'll happily be proven wrong, but I see some of these concepts making it to a DHS expansion - perhaps one with a transportative device that allows it to be fully indoors.
Thereā€™s nothing problematic about Frontierland to people of ordinary sensibilities. Itā€™s about the story of the American pioneer, traveling westward. Itā€™s a story of adventure, hardship, endurance, but ultimately of hope. Hope in a better future if youā€™re willing to work hard at it. Was there fighting and bloodshed? Absolutely, unfortunately. But that westward expansion was inevitable. As a matter of national security, the USA could not allow a large power to control its western border. If the USA didnā€™t expand west when it did, some other power would have, and there would have been a bloody conflict to secure Americaā€™s frontier. Walt Disney understood the importance of passing this on to the next generation:

McMickeyWorld

I don't see a problem with a land of villains. They don't even have to make them friends (it's not like they haven't done it before beyond a joke). They can create a couple of attractions centered on individual characters and maybe a dinner with a show or exclusive theater. Even if it were a land like 'Descendants,' 'Twisted-Wonderland,' or 'Villains Recruiting Program,' I would find them interesting to experience. Another good idea would be to show a new perspective of the stories, as was done a few years ago in HK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom