News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

britain

I mean you do you, but the show was pretty fun and my kids loved it. I'm just impressed with your level of disdain with the idea.

lol, yeah, it runs pretty deep!

My kids loved it too, they’d watch it over and over if they had their way. That’s why I had to intervene.

Now if you will excuse me, I’m taking them to The Boy and The Heron again. 🧐

Last edited:

Touchdown

I think villains land appeals more to adults.

A lot of little people could be scared by villain land so you run the risk of little johnny or jane being terrified. Remember that Disney toned down the original snow white ride and the Alien scene in the great movie ride.

Any attractions will presumably have to have good triumphing so you’re basically making fantasmic the ride.

There is also the question of how you make it coherent, fantasyland works because its fairytale land but I think it would hard to add in non fairytale IPs to a villain’s land - how could you fit scar, shere khan and Hades fit with malefecent, the evil queen and ursula, you would either need some sort of meta house of mouse set up or make it more carnival like
If you set it up as an open air prison for villains
Right, even if they do a villains land… That doesn’t mean they’re gonna build anything that’s scary.

Unfortunately it would probably simply be a more woodsy version of fantasyland with more dark purples and browns, photo ops all over the place for silly meet and greets, and ok maybe a big ride with a story similar to Fantasmic, undermining the storytelling done in the other attractions of the park.

Boo. The ONLY reason they would do this is for the gift shops.
add in a NBC C ticket dark ride and a themed restaurant and you have exactly what I want.

Bocabear

Yes. Let us not forget the original Alien encounter was so scary for little ones they changed it to Stitch Great Escape.
Yes, 8 years later....
There should be a balance between toddler friendly attractions and also things adults can enjoy... So if the Villain's Land is separated into it's own area of the park, adults with small children that are easily frightened can stay away from that section...

Brer Panther

This is where I am mixed on the idea of a Villains land. As a series of meet-and-greets and stores, it works. I'm less sure what the attractions would be, other than more or less traditional Fantasyland attractions.
I feel like Jafar, Hades, Maleficent etc. would work better as part of an attraction based on their movies as a whole, not exactly characters who can carry attractions on their own. For example, an Aladdin dark ride taking us through the Cave of Wonders, soaring over Agrabah with Aladdin and Jasmine on a magic carpet, encountering the Genie, AND being menaced by Jafar has more potential and would likely be more popular than a ride entirely about being menaced by Jafar. I mean, there's a reason why the original Snow White's Adventures focusing entirely on the Witch didn't exactly become a huge hit.

I expect this "Villains' Land" will likely just have one big E-Ticket (probably another trackless dark ride) that's just "get menaced by this villain, then by this villain, then by THIS villain" for a minute or so, some sort of D-Ticket or C-Ticket (a flat ride, maybe? I dunno) and then a bunch of shops and dining locations. I will say this - if they're so insistent on doing this, I still think a Pink Elephants on Parade spinning coaster or dark ride could be fun.
There are still other cost savings associated with cloning aside from just the initial phases. At least for certain types of attractions. Particularly ones that are heavily video screen based (which is a large majority in the modern era). The video itself is already made, so they just need to copy the files into the new projector. No new animation needs to be created by the animation studio. This goes for a large portion of the software running an attraction too if it's mostly identical.
I wonder if the Magic Kingdom version of the Zootopia ride will still have most of its dialogue in Chinese, like how they couldn't be bothered to have Patton Oswalt redub Remy's French dialogue in the EPCOT version of the Ratatouille ride so they just have random lines of dialogue that are French.

MerlinTheGoat

I wonder if the Magic Kingdom version of the Zootopia ride will still have most of its dialogue in Chinese, like how they couldn't be bothered to have Patton Oswalt redub Remy's French dialogue in the EPCOT version of the Ratatouille ride so they just have random lines of dialogue that are French.
I'm sure they were glad for the opportunity to recycle dialog, but they were able to get away with it more just due to the fact that the setting is in France and they also used a lot of scenes directly adapted from the movie.

I'm sure Zootopia would get new lines recorded. It doesn't take place in China and is a new post-movie plot with a lot of unique dialog from all the characters.

TheMaxRebo

But Ratatouille is in the France Pavilion so it makes sense - I love the aspect they kept some French in it

I guess if they brought Zootopia to the China pavilion they could keep the Mandarin in it but no idea why at MK

Mike S

I think villains land appeals more to adults.

A lot of little people could be scared by villain land so you run the risk of little johnny or jane being terrified. Remember that Disney toned down the original snow white ride and the Alien scene in the great movie ride.

Any attractions will presumably have to have good triumphing so you’re basically making fantasmic the ride.

There is also the question of how you make it coherent, fantasyland works because its fairytale land but I think it would hard to add in non fairytale IPs to a villain’s land - how could you fit scar, shere khan and Hades fit with malefecent, the evil queen and ursula, you would either need some sort of meta house of mouse set up or make it more carnival like
How was Alien toned down? It seemed to always be the same all my life.

Tha Realest

I agree I mean can you imagine if they tried to pull this off as a nighttime spectacular, it would never work…

Fantasyland is the home to all the good characters, Villain land can be its dark reflection, and the villains wouldn’t be palling around, they would be teaming up to conquer the Magic Kingdom.
Imagine a nighttime fireworks show where the explosions were battles between the two competing kingdoms….

Tha Realest

There are still other cost savings associated with cloning aside from just the initial phases. At least for certain types of attractions. Particularly ones that are heavily video screen based (which is a large majority in the modern era). The video itself is already made, so they just need to copy the files into the new projector. No new animation needs to be created by the animation studio. This goes for a large portion of the software running an attraction too if it's mostly identical.
The designers also benefit from having a ton of QC and reliability issues sorted out

WaltWiz1901

I expect this "Villains' Land" will likely just have one big E-Ticket (probably another trackless dark ride) that's just "get menaced by this villain, then by this villain, then by THIS villain" for a minute or so, some sort of D-Ticket or C-Ticket (a flat ride, maybe? I dunno) and then a bunch of shops and dining locations. I will say this - if they're so insistent on doing this, I still think a Pink Elephants on Parade spinning coaster or dark ride could be fun.
Funny you mention that first attraction...this fan proposal was what sprung to mind:

lazyboy97o

The designers also benefit from having a ton of QC and reliability issues sorted out
Not necessarily. The more exact the clone the more issues are left as the project is budgeted and scheduled based on replicating what exists. Transformers the Ride is probably the most notorious example as work was done knowing it would get destroyed.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Villain team-ups happen periodically in fiction. Lex Luthor and the Joker teamed up to take down Superman and Batman. Part of the fun is usually the tension of who will betray their partner(s) first.

I also think a more adult villains land would add a new dimension to the park experience. Universal likes to present itself as the place families go when they outgrow Disney. A villain land could be a rite of passage that kids ‘graduate’ to being ready for. Imagine the commercial.

A family stands next to Thunder Mountain, gazing at the foreboding path marked by a sign reading “Villain Village.” The young-ish child adamantly shakes his head. “Too scary!”

Dissolve to another trip. Flashes of the same family, enjoying various MK attractions. Eventually they stand in the same spot as before. The child reluctantly shakes his head. “It’s kinda scary.”

One more trip. In a resort hotel room, the child looks in the mirror and tells himself “you’ve got this.” In the Magic Kingdom, the child marches back to the same spot and stares at the sign. Mom and Dad are concerned. “Are you sure?” “It’s a little scary.” The child defiantly replies “I’m ready.” Cut to scenes of the child grinning and heroically ‘besting’ various villains while enjoying what the land has to offer. End at dinner in the new restaurant. “What were you guys so afraid of?” Mom and Dad exchange a smirk.

Logo.
“Book your Disney vacation today!”

SpectreJordan

Having a dozen or so beloved classic films that have already proved their popularity is long lasting (several of which include iconic and potentially wonderful locations) get all shoved into one shared space while something less than a decade old (barely over two years, in Encanto's case) gets an entire landed devoted to it right next to them rubs me the wrong way.

It comes across like bad priorities with a touch of arrogance.
The Encanto plans seem to be just a ride in a South America themed land, both the plan for MK & the plan for AK. Also, the only IP that's gotten a land that's "young" is Zootopia; I think the uniqueness of that setting, as well as the movie's popularity in China is what lead to it getting a land.
Zootopia, the movie, is Bob Iger's Disney (like Coco and Encanto). The ride was originally made for his Magic Kingdom.

Now [if built] his brand of Disney gets to reshape the most popular Disney park for years to come. Just like how Disneyland may have had Star Wars in it for decades, but not the characters from the sequel trilogy made possible by his acquisition.

A land based on animated characters made before he joined the company doesn't.
I don't think he cares about the parks that much. They're just focused on basing rides on recent hits instead of older stuff.

I also think the likes of Frozen, Moana, Zootopia & Coco are going to have legs like older movies do. Hell, all of those are 5+ years old now & still do killer numbers on D+.
Universal are literally in the process of creating a villains land of their own at Epic Universe with Classic Monsters. I think an important key to making a villains land work well is variety. Universal isn't centering their land on a singular monster from what I gather, but a variety of different ones.

And mind you, Universal already did dabble in a villains area with Knockturn Alley. Albeit as a sub section of a larger land. And I think there are plenty of people who would like more of that.

But again regarding variety. Voldemort is just one single villain from a single story. To make matters worse, there's not really a singular iconic "lair" setting that i'd associate him with. The Malfoy Manor is the closest thing that might come to mind, but it's a temporary base that isn't really his own. Not only are there a ton of Disney villains to draw from, most of their lairs are also varied and interesting. Same goes for Classic Monsters.

Given their trends in recent attractions and animated films, I just don't think Disney is interested in the classic "evil and loving it" villains anymore. Tiana's Bayou Adventure won't have a villain. Tokyo's BATB ride relegated Gaston and the mob to shadow projections shoved into a background wall (and it was a movie that already diverged somewhat from a traditional villain). And they heavily reduced the scares and witch appearances (and removed all the skeletons) from Snow White at DL.
I wonder what started this trend. I feel parents are a lot less strict nowadays, we don't get as much pearl clutching (well... for some things) as we used to.
I fully agree.

Oh, and say what you want about the sequels, but the first Ice Age is in my opinion a genuinely good movie.
The original Ice Age is a great movie. Those sequels definitely bring the image down a bit though. However, I still think a ride could be a great addition to DAK.
I'll take what I can get, but Coco seems more appropriate at Epcot. Not Magic or Animal!
I do think Coco would be better at EPCOT, but the MK plan sounded like it could work. Going from the old west into Mexico makes sense.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
The original Ice Age is a great movie. Those sequels definitely bring the image down a bit though. However, I still think a ride could be a great addition to DAK.
Something about the idea of Ice Age IP in Animal Kingdom makes me feel nauseous. I know they own it now, but it doesn't seem like it should be there. It's not a Disney movie.

It's like if they put a Sound of Music ride in a new Austria pavilion...oh wait, that would actually be pretty great!

Brer Panther

That scene where they're sliding around in the ice caverns is just begging to be made into a ride.
Something about the idea of Ice Age IP in Animal Kingdom makes me feel nauseous. I know they own it now, but it doesn't seem like it should be there. It's not a Disney movie.

It's like if they put a Sound of Music ride in a new Austria pavilion...oh wait, that would actually be pretty great!
I can understand that. I feel the same way about putting something Simpsons or Family Guy in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom