News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Rich Brownn

How was Alien toned down? It seemed to always be the same all my life.
The Alien above used to pop out a lot further and the side one was hidden by much more smoke. The overhead was toned down either because it threatened to fall out due to stress or because it scared people, depending on who you talk to. Disney often tones down stuff to scary or frightening -- when I rode Dinosaur during the construction workers preview there was bit where a meteor hit and a piece of rock flew right at you. It was just projection on smoke, but it looked very convincing. It didn't even make to employee previews :/

SplashJacket

Disney left this tidbit in their most recent DPB blog post “We have a lot of growth and investment planned for our theme parks in the coming years and look forward to sharing more announcements about Frontierland … so y’all come back now, ya hear?”

They’ll really just keep dragging this on
Would you rather them say nothing?

An indication that the plans are still on motion is a good sign.

mattpeto

Disney left this tidbit in their most recent DPB blog post “We have a lot of growth and investment planned for our theme parks in the coming years and look forward to sharing more announcements about Frontierland … so y’all come back now, ya hear?”

New Orleans Food GIF by Disney

Tiana's Palace/Place is my bet.

SpectreJordan

At least it seems like something is happening. They could easily just sweep this all under the rug & never mention it again.

Dutch Inn '76

I want them to take their time with this decision. The worst thing they could do is just slap the first idea they have in there. Whatever they come up with, they need to plan it out, then let it simmer on the back burner for a while to see if the brain trust still likes it a few months later. This is a very big, very expensive project they're undertaking - and with everything their crosstown rival has going, it needs to be a hit.

Last edited:

Bocabear

but but but....they are going to refurbish the Voyage Of The Little Mermaid Show! That will certainly drive attendance!
and don't forget about adding Zootopia to the Tree Of Life in a few years....
and the Country Bear Jamboree Disney Singalong Songbook Show.... I am so excited for the future of the parks now......lol

lazyboy97o

Even if they didn’t know the specific attractions or themes, the could be prepping the land (and guest access to it) right now. That process alone is probably going to be at least 6-12 months of work before they even lay the foundation for any ride.
You could do some early stuff but not necessarily a whole lot. The organization of space should be rooted in the theme which means you shouldn’t just be placing the same types of facilities in the same place regardless of theme.

RSoxNo1

Agreed. Anyone who likes villains land isn’t thinking about it deeply enough. It would NOT be a satisfying immersive experience to see Captain Hook pal around with Ursula, and Cruella DeVille. That would EMPHASIZE the fact that they are not actually villains but they are copyrighted characters that just happened to be owned by the same company.

Their stories have nothing to do with each other, their “homes” should be nowhere near each other.

They are sociopaths that don’t get along, much less form an alliance with one another, and live in the same neighborhood with one another.

They are an important ingredient in a satisfying story. That’s why they are important parts of the “heroes” attractions. But you wouldn’t make a stew out of nothing but salt, and you shouldn’t make attractions out of nothing but villains.
The wholly immersive land conceit should be the exception, not the rule. Following the success of Harry Potter, there have been many attempts to recreate that magic at varying levels of success.

I understand, and perhaps even echoed similar sentiments like, "Pixar isn't a theme". But the reality is, if you can create a designated area for a certain category of themed attractions, that also works. Simply put, it could be the dark side of Fantasyland.

Last edited:

celluloid

The wholly immersive land conceit should be the exception, not the rule. Following the success of Harry Potter, there have been many attempts to recreate that magic and varying levels of success.

I understand, and perhaps even echoed similar sentiments like, "Pixar isn't a theme". But the reality is, if you can create a designated area for a certain category of themed attractions, that also works. Simply put, it could be the dark side of Fantasyland.
Good point on the conceit. It can be done well with various IPs just as well as immersive worlds of one.

For Villains, an avenue off in Fantasyland as an expansion there would have made more sense, and I think a better expansion than what we got. I think that a large part of it is, a villain is only as interesting as its hero, and a hero is only as interesting as its villain.

Dark rides without the villain of the story are often not really interesting. Typically there needs to be an antagonist if you are mimicking the environments of the film. This is often even said to be one of the specific weakpoints of The Little Mermaid.

Islands of Adventure Lands that are not Harry Potter are great examples of IPs that had some connections in art direction that worked well for an entire land, plus Jurassic Park and the original custom Lost Continent with sublands for the cultural differences of its legends. I think Islands of Adventure truly did this pretty well. Potter obviously was the hyper specific world location.
A Disney comparison of those lands done well would be Frontierland, Tomorrowland and Toon Town of the 90s. Roger Rabbit was not enough on its own, but there is easily a world from Roger Rabbit where the others could fit in the art direction. Splash integrated into Frontierland very well and Tomorrowland as Buck Rogers future community of good and bad inventions made sense.

Speaking of Tomorrowland, a good example of how well rounded light and dark are within the same land but making sense is Timekeeper and Alien Encounter. Right Across from each other leading to Space Mountain and Astro Orbiter being a beacon of space fantasy thrill. Complimented by the kinetic energy of The Peoplemover as the transit system of this world and to the right, Timekeeper at the Science Center, showcasing technology in a lighthearted inspirational light. Across to the left Alien Encounter, the cautionary tale and dark side of technology when in excess.
It was my favorite land in MK for a long time because of that. Frontierland and Tomorrowland were my favs.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom