News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Chef idea Mickey`=

I would have enjoyed that. New Fantasyland really could have done more to make multiple uses out of the different facilities. There's surprisingly little to do for all the space the area takes up.

It looked so expansive on the concept art but yet in reality it's not and isn't much to do.

My idea of a land is not to just end up waiting in a long line whether it's Mine Train, Story Time with Belle. Can't even explore the castle if your not dining with a reservation. Gaston is meh. So dark in the night and not the place where you'd want to sit and spend the evening or day. Contrast that to Hong Kong's World of Frozen now that's a visual landscape of itself.

No Name

Too many people think that Disney is loaded with money and can afford to build all these fantasy ideas anytime they want. They think that Disney is just being in-decisive or just un-sure of the correct idea to implement.

The hard reality that too many people (Pixie Dusters) must finally come to grips with is that Disney does NOT have the finances to afford much of these ideas right now. The truth is that Disney is laying of thousands and thousands of good people and will likely be broken into pieces and sold off separately down the road. For some, this is a really hard concept to swallow. It's like finding our your emperor has no clothes! Disney is now hurting BADLY and this is a fact.

It's like that scene in Forest Gump where he's running across the country and has a mob of "believers" that are following him religiously. When Forest stops and says he is tired and wants to go home...people are stunned in disbelief and they say "what?...what?...........what do "WE" do now??"

This is a harsh and painful reality for some people. We put this corporation on a pedestal and when we find out it's not what we think it is....we try to rationalize it away with all kinds of psychological tactics.

No,...not every fan is like this...but sadly, some very much ARE like this.
Aside from just how utterly condescending this sounds, there’s no blaming regular people on this. Parks like Six Flags, Cedar Point, etc. add a new major attraction every few years. If Disney can’t afford to add more than one thing per decade, as they’re losing significant market share to Universal, then they need to seriously change something from within.

lazyboy97o

If they had went with the direction of the house that Cinderella lived if they were really serious about it would I see it as a walk through experience where you can walk through the scenes like her bedroom, and there would be the opportunity to have singing Animatronics of the mice and the dog, Lucifer the cat. It would then also become the main meet and greet spot for the sisters and stepmother obviously. I was interested in the architecture of that house vs Beauty and The Beast and Little Mermaid. Meeting Snow White at her cottage made better than meeting at Main Street. All these so called locations for all those princesses would made the new fanasyland more complete.
The complex wasn’t that large and extensive.

There was talks about what was there for boys to do. The reasons for the changes I'm curious to know exactly but blue concept changes all the time so nothing new.
That’s part of the story that was put out when Staggs finally made the switch as it was his first big decision as parks chairman. But the capacity of the meet and greets was already a serious issue.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
The complex wasn’t that large and extensive.

That’s part of the story that was put out when Staggs finally made the switch as it was his first big decision as parks chairman. But the capacity of the meet and greets was already a serious issue.
What's with the "Voyage of the Little Mermaid" attraction on that blueprint? It doesn't have a track layout like the other dark rides. It's got a big circular room.

James Alucobond

If they had went with the direction of the house that Cinderella lived if they were really serious about it would I see it as a walk through experience where you can walk through the scenes like her bedroom, and there would be the opportunity to have singing Animatronics of the mice and the dog, Lucifer the cat. It would then also become the main meet and greet spot for the sisters and stepmother obviously. I was interested in the architecture of that house vs Beauty and The Beast and Little Mermaid. Meeting Snow White at her cottage made better than meeting at Main Street. All these so called locations for all those princesses would made the new fanasyland more complete.
Cinderella already has a whole castle. The manor seems unnecessary when all it would really accomplish is giving Lady Tremaine, Anastasia, and Drizella a slightly more suitable home, but the proposed villain land could end up resolving that anyway.

Seven Dwarves Mine Train also doesn’t in and of itself prevent Snow White from having a nearby M&G. Having those two complementary offerings seems to work well enough with Under the Sea and Ariel’s Grotto. If anything, I think they should push farther in the direction of having attractions and restaurants for the characters so that they’re gaining both capacity and sensible attached locations for M&Gs rather than shoving them all into wastes of space like Fairytale Hall. If they’d converted Scary Adventure into a Sleeping Beauty attraction instead, Rapunzel would really be the only “homeless” official princess who makes regular appearances in the wild at MK once Bayou Adventure is complete. And I guess Merida now that she’s been evicted.

lazyboy97o

What's with the "Voyage of the Little Mermaid" attraction on that blueprint? It doesn't have a track layout like the other dark rides. It's got a big circular room.
That’s the rooms of the ride and the big circular room is “Under the Sea”.

The track layout is possibly not showing because it is below the view range of the view. This plan was created in Revit*, which is a 3D modeling software, so you get the 2D images by defining a top and bottom of the view. This is also why some recent “concept art” of the hotels is useful for judging because it is the “blueprints”.

*Disney was really proud of this and even did publicity videos showing their use of clash detection tools to make sure everything was in the right place.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
That’s the rooms of the ride and the big circular room is “Under the Sea”.

The track layout is possibly not showing because it is below the view range of the view. This plan was created in Revit*, which is a 3D modeling software, so you get the 2D images by defining a top and bottom of the view. This is also why some recent “concept art” of the hotels is useful for judging because it is the “blueprints”.

*Disney was really proud of this and even did publicity videos showing their use of clash detection tools to make sure everything was in the right place.
Interesting! Thanks!

Cliff

Aside from just how utterly condescending this sounds, there’s no blaming regular people on this. Parks like Six Flags, Cedar Point, etc. add a new major attraction every few years. If Disney can’t afford to add more than one thing per decade, as they’re losing significant market share to Universal, then they need to seriously change something from within.
Disney has been blowing money like a drunken sailor all over the different areas of the company. Disney + has cost them billions upon billions with with not one cent of profit! There are shows that have cost three times the production costs that were actually necessary. And....many of them were just junk that didn't even look that they cost that much. Lucasfilm, Marvel and Pixar are failing badly. Linear TV is sinking fast too. The list goes on and on.

Some might say: "So what!...our parks are bulletproof and they will ALWAYS be there to bail Disney out of it's other losses...relax...no need to worry!!"

OK,...now the parks...the last great Disney defense wall...is now beginning to crack. Iger first blamed the parks attendance on Florida "summer heat" in a Sun Valley interview. Then he told investors last month, "no,....the slowness today is due to the incredible SUCCESS of last year's WDW 50th celebration" Yes,...Disney literally told this to investors on the live call. Can you believe that?

Every problem that Disney has today...and they have a LOT of them...can be traced to ONE thing....the extreme AROGANT culture in Disney executive boardroom and it's Board members. They have this "Titanic-style" mentality of:

"We are so big and strong that not even God can sink us....that's why we don't worry about icebergs!...full speed ahead!!"

Disney,...you are hitting icebergs left and right. You are taking on water! STOP!...and back out of that icefield that you are in...and LEARN TO BE HUMBLE! You are NOT as indestructible as you believe you are! Your Titanic ARROGANCE and utter HUBRIS are sinking the company.

It took 100 years to build that halo over your logo. Yes,...100 years of carefully cultivating good will from your customers and the general public. That halo is DELICATE and needs to be respected and treated carefully. If that Disney halo that floats over it's logo dies?...so does the company. Period.

I have always loved this company and it kills me to see top management drive it straight into icebergs with no fear of what will happen.....The top of this company needs to change right now and steer this ship away from danger and back to open waters.

But sadly,...I suspect they will continue driving deeper into the iceberg field. Like the Titanic,...they just don't believe icebergs can sink them.

seabreezept813

Cinderella already has a whole castle. The manor seems unnecessary when all it would really accomplish is giving Lady Tremaine, Anastasia, and Drizella a slightly more suitable home, but the proposed villain land could end up resolving that anyway.

Seven Dwarves Mine Train also doesn’t in and of itself prevent Snow White from having a nearby M&G. Having those two complementary offerings seems to work well enough with Under the Sea and Ariel’s Grotto. If anything, I think they should push farther in the direction of having attractions and restaurants for the characters so that they’re gaining both capacity and sensible attached locations for M&Gs rather than shoving them all into wastes of space like Fairytale Hall. If they’d converted Scary Adventure into a Sleeping Beauty attraction instead, Rapunzel would really be the only “homeless” official princess who makes regular appearances in the wild at MK once Bayou Adventure is complete. And I guess Merida now that she’s been evicted.
Some of the less formal spaces end up being nice. We saw Merida and Peter Pan with no lines. And last year no one seemed to know that Belle was hanging out in enchanted tales.

No Name

It’s frustrating that they seem interested in talking about improvements to every park except the one they kind of botched in the late 2010s, Hollywood Studios. Every standby line in the park is often 1 to 3 hours except for Star Tours. I can’t even imagine how bad it would’ve been if Galaxy’s Edge brought the attendance they’d hoped for. They spent all this money hoping they could sit on their laurels for the next 10 years but somehow didn’t do the math or didn’t care that it wouldn’t work.

aladdin2007

It’s frustrating that they seem interested in talking about improvements to every park except the one they kind of botched in the late 2010s, Hollywood Studios. Every standby line in the park is often 1 to 3 hours except for Star Tours. I can’t even imagine how bad it would’ve been if Galaxy’s Edge brought the attendance they’d hoped for. They spent all this money hoping they could sit on their laurels for the next 10 years but somehow didn’t do the math or didn’t care that it wouldn’t work.
its called blue ocean...they knew. they want to operate as less as possible and cram everyone in to as few things as possible. thats just a part of blue ocean anyway. But I think that mentality is starting to change a bit, lets hope.

Rich Brownn

Disney has been blowing money like a drunken sailor all over the different areas of the company. Disney + has cost them billions upon billions with with not one cent of profit! There are shows that have cost three times the production costs that were actually necessary. And....many of them were just junk that didn't even look that they cost that much. Lucasfilm, Marvel and Pixar are failing badly. Linear TV is sinking fast too. The list goes on and on.

Some might say: "So what!...our parks are bulletproof and they will ALWAYS be there to bail Disney out of it's other losses...relax...no need to worry!!"

OK,...now the parks...the last great Disney defense wall...is now beginning to crack. Iger first blamed the parks attendance on Florida "summer heat" in a Sun Valley interview. Then he told investors last month, "no,....the slowness today is due to the incredible SUCCESS of last year's WDW 50th celebration" Yes,...Disney literally told this to investors on the live call. Can you believe that?

Every problem that Disney has today...and they have a LOT of them...can be traced to ONE thing....the extreme AROGANT culture in Disney executive boardroom and it's Board members. They have this "Titanic-style" mentality of:

"We are so big and strong that not even God can sink us....that's why we don't worry about icebergs!...full speed ahead!!"

Disney,...you are hitting icebergs left and right. You are taking on water! STOP!...and back out of that icefield that you are in...and LEARN TO BE HUMBLE! You are NOT as indestructible as you believe you are! Your Titanic ARROGANCE and utter HUBRIS are sinking the company.

It took 100 years to build that halo over your logo. Yes,...100 years of carefully cultivating good will from your customers and the general public. That halo is DELICATE and needs to be respected and treated carefully. If that Disney halo that floats over it's logo dies?...so does the company. Period.

I have always loved this company and it kills me to see top management drive it straight into icebergs with no fear of what will happen.....The top of this company needs to change right now and steer this ship away from danger and back to open waters.

But sadly,...I suspect they will continue driving deeper into the iceberg field. Like the Titanic,...they just don't believe icebergs can sink them.
Parks, mechandise and real estate remain incredibly lucrative. In 2022 Disney profit was $23 billion, even with all the losses. Which makes the decision to let WDW basically rot when heavy duty competition is coming is puzzling

fgmnt

Some people in this board think that Burbank sees the DHS capacity crisis as a feature instead of a bug. I'm not exactly there but it's far from impossible.

No Name

Some people in this board think that Burbank sees the DHS capacity crisis as a feature instead of a bug. I'm not exactly there but it's far from impossible.
Yeah, I mean to that point, you can ride everything in Epcot without Genie+ by noon and then be kind of bored. With DHS I’m sure the average visitor is lucky if they’re able ride everything by the end of the day even with Genie+. Both are different problems, but one makes Disney more money, I guess.

its called blue ocean...they knew. they want to operate as less as possible and cram everyone in to as few things as possible. thats just a part of blue ocean anyway. But I think that mentality is starting to change a bit, let’s hope.
I know a lot of what they’re doing is blue ocean driven, but I feel like the founding fathers of blue ocean strategy wouldn’t even approve of this tomfoolery.

Last edited:

Splashin' Ryan

1694900181407.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom