News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

doctornick

Pretty sad when we’re putting over the top meet and greets up with actual rides and real attractions.

It's not exactly one of my favorites, but I would argue that ETWB is certainly worthy of "attraction" status more than a typical M&G and is on par with other shows mentioned as unique to MK. While I don't advocate having M&Gs in lieu of rides, if Disney is going to do character interactions, they should certainly plus it to be something akin to this (or Turtle Talk, etc) as opposed to just boring run of the mill photos with characters.

IIRC ETWB did win a THEA award

Incomudro

I find it really sad that the most popular theme park in the world doesn’t have that one unique stand out attraction.

Disneyland has Matterhorn
California Adventure has Guardians, Cars, Incredicoaster, and Grizzly
Epcot has Spaceship Earth, Test Track, and Guardians
Hollywood Studios has Tower of Terror and Rock N Roller coaster (used to have GMR)
Animal Kingdom has Pandora, Dinosaur, Everest, and the Safari
Shanghai has Pirates and soon Zootopia
Hong Kong has Mystic Manor and Grizzly
Disneyland Paris has Phantom Manor and a unique Space Mountain
Disney Studios Paris has the Avengers coaster (and Rat used to be unique)
Tokyo Disneyland has Monsters Inc, Pooh, and now the only Splash Mountain
Disneysea has a unique Tower, 20.000 leagues, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Sindbad, and soon all the rides in the expansion.

What does MK have that’s unique? Hall of Presidents? Carousel of Progress? Laugh Floor?
Unique to the park, as in some version of it doesn't exist elsewhere in the world - means absolutely nothing to me.
What does bother me however is that superior things like Tokyo Sea, exist in other parts of the world.
Magic Kingdom in WDW should have the best of the best.
It should be the showcase.

yensidtlaw1969

I’d rather they save a villains land concept for a 5th gate. Have villains represented across the spectrum of properties (Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar) in their own dedicated park rather than just a land of a few villains from Disney animation that will probably only have 2 rides anyways.
You sure?

Disney is not currently on track to build a 5th gate in either of our lifetimes.

Phicinfan

I’d rather they save a villains land concept for a 5th gate. Have villains represented across the spectrum of properties (Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar) in their own dedicated park rather than just a land of a few villains from Disney animation that will probably only have 2 rides anyways.
So you don't want a villains land? Cause there won't be a 5th gate for a very, very long time

Chef idea Mickey`=

Instead making New Fantasyland Timeless it became limited. If your not riding 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, and not dining at Be Our Guest without a reservation then all you have is Enchanted Tales if you even consider once is done and all remains is Little Mermaid. Gaston and Tangled are just restrooms. The idea of the older concept with Cinderellas former house looked at least interesting and unique. The issue is Disney's timeless franchise land experiences are all going to Japan. It's not like Magic Kingdom had the Beauty and the Beast added that Tokyo has. There's expansion potential where storybook circus is. If Japan continues with more on Disney's beloved films in the future for Aladdin for instance then Magic Kingdom is in trouble. I'm afraid anything new here for WDW will have budget cuts and won't be top notch as the international projects are.

Bocabear

As others have said, 5th Gate is not even in the conversation at this point....and even if it was I fear it would be so value engineered after having to build a new park, all new infrastructure, Parking etc... An additional land would seem more doable... So Villain's Lair please... No to Coco and Zootopia :)

aladdin2007

Country Bears are in Tokyo. 7 Dwarfs is in Shanghai. Philharmagic has been in multiple parks…and honestly it’s an outdated 3-d show. Not much to celebrate about.

Yes I forgot the Peoplemover….
But the sad thing is that’s the only unique ride…and it wasn’t unique years ago because Disneyland also had one.
it was updated recently here with coco and such rather nicely...so cant really be outdated they give it some love at least.

TheIceBaron

You sure?

Disney is not currently on track to build a 5th gate in either of our lifetimes.

I’m pretty young so unless it’s like over 60 years I can wait for it. I know no discussions have taken place for a 5th gate but to me a villains land that’s the size of galaxy’s edge would really only be what 2 attractions and maybe a show? That’s too small of a scope compared to the wide catalogue of villains they have at their disposal which I think would be better suited for an entire villains theme park.

Obviously if it’s significantly bigger than galaxy’s edge with like 4 attractions and plenty of villain representation then my opinion would be different. My only point is if they say something is the size of galaxy’s edge or pandora that’s nice but it’s just a lot of empty space with only 2 rides and no shows.

Chef idea Mickey`=

I wonder what the THC was gonna be on those things. Mine Train isn't especially great shakes when it comes to capacity, but I kinda struggle to see how those plussed-up meet and greets they proposed could have fared any better.

If they had went with the direction of the house that Cinderella lived if they were really serious about it would I see it as a walk through experience where you can walk through the scenes like her bedroom, and there would be the opportunity to have singing Animatronics of the mice and the dog, Lucifer the cat. It would then also become the main meet and greet spot for the sisters and stepmother obviously. I was interested in the architecture of that house vs Beauty and The Beast and Little Mermaid. Meeting Snow White at her cottage made better than meeting at Main Street. All these so called locations for all those princesses would made the new fanasyland more complete.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

The same thing happened with Galaxy's Edge...they came up with a plan and realized it was too underwhelming and went back to the drawing board...I can't imagine how bad the first plan was.
If I recall, that plan was a basic reskin of Echo Lake. X-Wing Spinner, Backlot Express turned into Cantina of some sort, new indoor Jedi Training. And of course Star Tours.

A believe an E-Ticket dark ride was proposed to anchor the "new" area, but I don't know exactly what it was meant to be. I would guess likely some sort of earlier permutation of Rise.

yensidtlaw1969

If they had went with the direction of the house that Cinderella lived if they were really serious about it would I see it as a walk through experience where you can walk through the scenes like her bedroom, and there would be the opportunity to have singing Animatronics of the mice and the dog, Lucifer the cat. It would then also become the main meet and greet spot for the sisters and stepmother obviously. I was interested in the architecture of that house vs Beauty and The Beast and Little Mermaid. Meeting Snow White at her cottage made better than meeting at Main Street. All these so called locations for all those princesses would made the new fanasyland more complete.
I would have enjoyed that. New Fantasyland really could have done more to make multiple uses out of the different facilities. There's surprisingly little to do for all the space the area takes up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom