News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

cheezbat

It is the least unique because it is the most replicated. That other locations all essentially want their own copy of the Magic Kingdom with slight deviations is not really an indictment of the park.
Is it though? I mean, MK was copying Disneyland…with many of its attractions. All of the newer stuff have been clones or opened simultaneously(or close to it) with other parks versions…looking at all of the newer stuff: Mermaid opened at DCA and at MK. 7 Dwarfs was planned for both MK and Shanghai. Tron was originally planned for both MK and Shanghai as well.
What was originally at MK that got copied? Country Bears. Space Mountain. Buzz Lightyear. Winnie the Pooh. Philharmagic.

What’s even sadder about that list, is that every single copy is superior to the original. Space may be much larger being 2 tracks, but it’s in the worst shape of all of the versions.

cheezbat

Personally I don't think the Magic Kingdom needs "unique" rides as you call it. Most people that visit don't visit the other parks, but if you want to get nit pickey there is a few rides that are unique to the Kingdom. Pretty sure we are the only ones that have Aladdin Carpets. Currently the only one that has Swiss Family Robinson Tree house. Who else has the Barnstormer? Carousel of Progress is unique to WDW. Monsters Inc Laugh floor is unique to WDW. Several rides are also different in the magic kingdom then other places. BUt again, I don't think 99% of people that visit care if they have a unique ride. WDW has plenty of unique rides, and it certainly more important that the other parks have unique rides.
Multiple Treehouses in other DL parks. Magic Carpets are at WDSP and TDS. Barnstormers equivalent is Gadgets Go Coaster in DL and TDL.

MK unique attractions: Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, Monsters Inc.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Personally I don't think the Magic Kingdom needs "unique" rides as you call it. Most people that visit don't visit the other parks, but if you want to get nit pickey there is a few rides that are unique to the Kingdom. Pretty sure we are the only ones that have Aladdin Carpets. Currently the only one that has Swiss Family Robinson Tree house. Who else has the Barnstormer? Carousel of Progress is unique to WDW. Monsters Inc Laugh floor is unique to WDW. Several rides are also different in the magic kingdom then other places. BUt again, I don't think 99% of people that visit care if they have a unique ride. WDW has plenty of unique rides, and it certainly more important that the other parks have unique rides.

Magic Carpets of Aladdin is also in Disneyland Paris. Not sure if it came first to Paris or MK.

James Alucobond

What’s even sadder about that list, is that every single copy is superior to the original. Space may be much larger being 2 tracks, but it’s in the worst shape of all of the versions.
A separate issue entirely. That attractions are neither plussed often enough nor maintained sufficiently and that capacity has contracted somewhat are indeed issues; that many of the Magic Kingdom's attractions were either duplicated elsewhere or are themselves duplicates really is not. WDW is differentiated in general by the scope of the property, the variety of its resorts, and the nearly wholly unique array of supporting parks (though Hollywood Studios has been somewhat diminished in this regard). Magic Kingdom is supposed to be a comforting nexus of familiar lands and beloved rides. That's not to say that they shouldn't expand, but I don't see much reason to fret over it not having an attraction that meets very specific criteria for uniqueness when a majority of visitors likely have no intention of visiting any of the other parks to begin with.

fgmnt

Too many people think that Disney is loaded with money and can afford to build all these fantasy ideas anytime they want. They think that Disney is just being in-decisive or just un-sure of the correct idea to implement.

The hard reality that too many people (Pixie Dusters) must finally come to grips with is that Disney does NOT have the finances to afford much of these ideas right now. The truth is that Disney is laying of thousands and thousands of good people and will likely be broken into pieces and sold off separately down the road. For some, this is a really hard concept to swallow. It's like finding our your emperor has no clothes! Disney is now hurting BADLY and this is a fact.

It's like that scene in Forest Gump where he's running across the country and has a mob of "believers" that are following him religiously. When Forest stops and says he is tired and wants to go home...people are stunned in disbelief and they say "what?...what?...........what do "WE" do now??"

This is a harsh and painful reality for some people. We put this corporation on a pedestal and when we find out it's not what we think it is....we try to rationalize it away with all kinds of psychological tactics.

No,...not every fan is like this...but sadly, some very much ARE like this.

Their ability to take on capital projects does not really have to be dependent on the state of operations at the current year. Capital projects like new attractions are forward looking--I think that barring excessive management malfeasance (an "if" that feels bigger every passing quarter to me) domestic parks will be a viable money maker for a period of time longer than the useful life of any attraction they have built or have yet to build. If I wanted to give Bob the Elder any "outs" for not getting anything shovel ready between the goofy D23 run by Bob the Lesser and now, I could point to three things.

Volatility of interest rates more than his choice to slim down operations and reorganize the company. I think that excuse is gonna be gone in the next 6 months as rates hopefully will pause and start to decline. Looking inward, the willful rotting out of WDI by the Bobs and the embarrassing project management we have seen over the last 6 years in Orlando might also make them hesitant to start a new project without convincing themselves they can correct these problems. (For what it's worth, I think these problems are intractable as long as some current executives serve where they do). Third prong on this triton of suck is the uhh... undershooting of RoI... on some of Bob the Elder's pet projects in the NBA Experience, Galactic Starcruiser, and probably to an extent Galaxy's Edge itself. Slow delivery of projects + volatile interest rates + making bad capital investments are all problems, they just don't really pencil out as connected to Iger's job cuts and company reorg into the 3 segments we see now.

Frankly, the separating of the segments *should* (and by should, I mean, in the crazy alternate reality where the company is managed for long term growth and Ana de Armas is my wife) provide a better window to build in the parks than before--Parks is not there to float Disney+ or the ESPN ACC Network. If the executives want to sell a plan on getting some financing for a forward-looking capital project, they can find a way. Whether they want to? I would not hold your breath.

Ripken10

Multiple Treehouses in other DL parks. Magic Carpets are at WDSP and TDS. Barnstormers equivalent is Gadgets Go Coaster in DL and TDL.

MK unique attractions: Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, Monsters Inc.
Multiple tree houses is not the same. Barnstormers and gadgets are not the same any more than just being a family coaster. So there is more than you are giving f credit for

Bocabear

Pretty sad when we’re putting over the top meet and greets up with actual rides and real attractions.
It is...but real attractions are expensive! and people will line up for hours to have their picture taken with a college kid in a costume... And that is why they are doing it... as soon as Meet and Greets fall out of favor, we might start getting more and varied real attractions.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It is...but real attractions are expensive! and people will line up for hours to have their picture taken with a collegew kid in a costume... And that is why they are doing it... as soon as Meet and Greets fall out of favor, we might start getting more and varied real attractions.
I see M&Gs as an opportunity to support a college kid's education fund!

bmr1591

Villains land could very well have the entire resort’s thesis attraction with Disney heroes battling the villains to save the Magic Kingdom, think SotMK or Fantasmic the ride. One of the things I really like about the Monsters land coming to EU is the main attraction supposedly being a crossover epic with all of the monsters. No doubt Disney would be interested in that concept for their own characters.

Copying? Maybe. Potential? Huge.

I wish they would put an amphitheater in the back that they could move Fantasmic to for this, allowing DHS to have a new show. I love Fantasmic and don't want to lose it (literally my favorite show), but it would fit much better in Magic Kingdom.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Too bad Disney does not!
The Disney Aspire Program covers tuition costs upfront for a wide range of degree and certificate programs, from high school diplomas to master’s degrees. In addition, it provides various resources to help cast members succeed, including academic advising, career coaching and online learning tools.​

celluloid

The Disney Aspire Program covers tuition costs upfront for a wide range of degree and certificate programs, from high school diplomas to master’s degrees. In addition, it provides various resources to help cast members succeed, including academic advising, career coaching and online learning tools.​

Working a Meet and Greet not required.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
I do think it would be a benefit to the Disney parks as a whole to have at least one unique premier attraction. I think there's wiggle room for unique takes on the duplicate ride systems like Cars vs Test Track. Also a really nice unique land can fill that purpose (Avatar, Cars Land again). Even something like the Nightmare retheme of Haunted Mansion is something that makes me want to visit DisneyLand each year (I know this isn't unique to DisneyLand, but is a strong pull even if seasonal).

Unique attractions and experiences make me, at least, want to visit more Disney parks. Internationally, it is maybe less important as fewer people visit all the Disney parks - but if they do, I think there should be a 'reward' in unique experiences in each.

What is enough is also debatable, I'd agree Magic Kingdom should have something a bit more exclusive and awe-inspiring within its gates. Villains Land could certainly be that (although I'm unsure if it would remain exclusive if well received) - I guess we'll see.

TheIceBaron

I’d rather they save a villains land concept for a 5th gate. Have villains represented across the spectrum of properties (Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar) in their own dedicated park rather than just a land of a few villains from Disney animation that will probably only have 2 rides anyways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom