News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

WowFactor

Basically Fantasmic the ride but I would be all for it.
Hahaha
Fantasmic: the ride! that's what they called my idea for a boat ride in my personal project, Villains Village. Despite really liking the concept of Bald Mountain, I bet my chips on Malificent's castle as a backdrop. It turned out like this...

C7B07A5C-E4D6-4B9D-83B1-C6880CCF6133.jpeg

SpectreJordan

I loved the Idea of Villain Mountain that was discussed years ago... Happening upon the Villain's convention, being spotted and the wild chase off the mountain... That would have been amazing a great fun.
Disney needs to embrace the Villains in a more meaningful way...not just parties or show characters... And with Universal doing Dark World at Epic Universe, it would be timely...though already to late for the way Disney spreads out construction projects. Since it would never fit in Animal Kingdom, and MK is already packed enough, it would have to be in DHS...even though it feels more appropriate in the Magic Kingdom. WDW never got the Toontown expansion that Disneyland got back in the 90s. Perhaps we should get a spectacular Villains expansion and be the first park in the world to get it...
Honestly, if they're at least planning things & can get them out this decade then that's good. I don't think Disney would be able to compete with the first major Orlando theme park in 26 years (when EU opens) even if they had a new land opening in all 4 parks that same year.

The best route would be to open up some major stuff like 2 years later after the initial hype wave of EU is over with. Who knows if they'd even be able to do that at this point though. :/

Muppets would be better. They already have a rock band and are underutilized. Plus, you could have them do funny covers of Aerosmith songs if you wanted. Listening to I2I every single ride would be a drag. They're also way more pop than rock.
I'm definitely on team Muppets for RnRC but I can't tell the difference between the current songs on it so I2I playing over & over again wouldn't make much of a difference to me lol

celluloid

Little off topic but truly baffled The Lion King and Aladdin don’t have proper rides. No I do not count the carpets as a “proper” ride.

A proper Aladdin Magic Carpet ride for me would have been something like a Kuka Arm like Forbidden Journey with a calmer program, differnet ride vehicle for family friendly but same wow.

And now we are kind of getting that with Monsters at Epic Universe.

Mark_E

Now I have not been to Tokyo Disneyland yet, but the Beauty and the Beast ride, while beautifully done seems to lake...pacing or something... The musical numbers seem to go on too long, and the finale seems like an empty room... But the AAs are beautiful!
The long scenes work very well though (moreso for Be our Guest and the finale than for Something There). Disagree on the finale seeming like an empty room.

It’s a huge people eater (I believe each dispatch is 60 guests)

It’s a great attraction. Videos don’t do justice to the scale of it.

Robbiem

A proper Aladdin Magic Carpet ride for me would have been something like a Kuka Arm like Forbidden Journey with a calmer program, differnet ride vehicle for family friendly but same wow.

And now we are kind of getting that with Monsters at Epic Universe.

This is a great idea, they should build this in Disneysea’s Arabian Coast 😀✌️

celluloid

This is a great idea, they should build this in Disneysea’s Arabian Coast 😀✌️

Thanks! I love DisneySea and that area. I would never want to lose Sinbad for it, but if they could retrofit and squeeze it into it by replacing the Genie's show in Magic Lamp Theater, that was kind of a dissapointment. Preshow was cool but show itself aged badly and short.

Last edited:

dmc493

Got COVID just in time for Labor Day and have had lots of free time today.... anyway here's my wild speculation about what/how they could pull some of this off... not thinking so much about the ride types or anything like that, moreso programming and layout of all this space and access/connections to the rest of the park. all pure speculation from myself but hope some of y'all enjoy

James Alucobond

Do we think they would actually path around the front of Big Thunder? It feels like that would be a really long, featureless walkway. I had assumed they would reconfigure the passage that already exists under the Frontierland station to direct folks north so that they could fit in some actual shops or restaurants before the Rivers of America crossing to the main Coco and Encanto attraction area. I assume they could move the Liberty Belle's service area to the other side of the water.

dmc493

Do we think they would actually path around the front of Big Thunder? It feels like that would be a really long, featureless walkway. I had assumed they would reconfigure the passage that already exists under the Frontierland station to direct folks north so that they could fit in some actual shops or restaurants before the Rivers of America crossing to the main Coco and Encanto attraction area. I assume they could move the Liberty Belle's service area to the other side of the water.
great point, hadn't thought of that. the only thing you'd run into is the train storage building for BTMR, not sure how in the way that would be

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Got COVID just in time for Labor Day and have had lots of free time today.... anyway here's my wild speculation about what/how they could pull some of this off... not thinking so much about the ride types or anything like that, moreso programming and layout of all this space and access/connections to the rest of the park. all pure speculation from myself but hope some of y'all enjoy

Going to the right or left of IaSW means building a path with walls that are two stories tall to hide the warehouses housing HM or IaSW. Also, you'll be blocking fire lanes. Also, the path to the right of IaSW would have to become a bridge to go over the backstage access to the utilidors.

In a nutshell, if you want access by IaSW... it'd be better and easier to raze it and put a better version up in Epcot.

Also, the purple area is too close the the fireworks launch area.

Also, how are you going to safely have the Railroad go through the middle of two lands (and presumably, through the attractions)?

The better solution is to change the route of the canals and build out past the RR.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes

Going to the right or left of IaSW means building a path with walls that are two stories tall to hide the warehouses housing HM or IaSW. Also, you'll be blocking fire lanes. Also, the path to the right of IaSW would have to become a bridge to go over the backstage access to the utilidors.

In a nutshell, if you want access by IaSW... it'd be better and easier to raze it and put a better version up in Epcot.

Also, how are you going to safely have the Railroad go through the middle of two lands (and presumably, through the attractions)?

The better solution is to change the route of the canals and build out past the RR.
Awwww yeah I love graphics like these. Regarding the connectors in Fantasyland though; the pathway between iasw and HM is where the access doors are located for a truck to remove a ride vehicle from either attraction's vehicle maintenance bays, which pretty much means that it's not feasible for that to become an onstage location without some major internal work on both attractions. The route to the right would indeed need to bridge over the utilidor entry, but also that path would probably cut right through the kitchen of Pinocchio Village Haus and the Fantasyland operations leaders' office. These are great graphics though!

As for the relocating iasw idea, it would absolutely solve the problem and probably be the most elegant solution, but I just can't see modern TDO being interested in it unfortunately. I know they did it for Dumbo and Barnstormer but iasw feels like a different level from those two.

My crazy idea is maybe eventually with enough eastward expansion and a rerouting of the service road, there could be a connector by removing the restrooms behind Gaston's Tavern, but that would be way larger scope than what is being proposed for Villains Land.

dmc493

great points about the railroad, my doodles don't solve that issue at all. I toyed with elevated tracks a little bit, but big issues with theming, cost, and grading vs where the water table is. it does feel like it's a harder issue to solve than, say, DL's beyond-the-berm solution for galaxy's edge but maybe I'm not creative enough lol. and I didn't know where fireworks are launched from so that's good to know :)

my biggest issue is that none of the routes I could think of feel logical or simple in any way. regardless of which routes they take, it would be a big impact to other rides, or feel very tacked-on to what's currently there.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
great points about the railroad, my doodles don't solve that issue at all. I toyed with elevated tracks a little bit, but big issues with theming, cost, and grading vs where the water table is. it does feel like it's a harder issue to solve than, say, DL's beyond-the-berm solution for galaxy's edge but maybe I'm not creative enough lol. and I didn't know where fireworks are launched from so that's good to know :)

my biggest issue is that none of the routes I could think of feel logical or simple in any way. regardless of which routes they take, it would be a big impact to other rides, or feel very tacked-on to what's currently there.
There's routes:

1. Through the Frontierland train depot.
2. Moving/reconfiguring/ditching Rivers of America
3. Razing IaSW as mentioned above.

Posts to consider...

View attachment 697624

Green are the interior park pads @marni1971 has indicated exist. The orange is a harder-to-get-to but slated-for-next (possibly) pad. The yellow is the obvious easy-to-get-to pads surrounding the MK. The red is pie-in-the-sky that would require a bunch of stuff to make happen, like rerouting canals (blue). And the red column is where the fireworks pad is.

Hey, armchair imagineers. The purple area is off limits for one or more of the following reasons:
  • Too close to fireworks
  • Block backstage access
  • Land is unsuitable for building

The area around the number 4 could theoretically be opened up if they move a fireworks launch pad.

View attachment 697872

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom