Best ride they got rid of?

THECARISMINE

Future World is broad but it covers so much. I miss the old Figment from when I was a kid, fond memories of Horizons, and gawd I miss the old Living Seas before Nemo came. Nemo's cute and all but nostalgia of that journey down to seabase is just so strong.

But that said Alien Encounter is without a doubt my most missed attraction in Magic Kingdom. I would make a point to ride it every night my family was down there growing up.

brb1006

latest

dreamfinder-figment.jpg

tumblr_inline_ni6o8oUSUL1sc3vgv.jpg

That is all and as a bonus
b218d0b1df8a37f838c10f91e5813fff.jpg

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I really haven't been on that many closed rides that were particularly popular.

Of what I've been on maybe... Maelstrom or Test Track 1.0. And if we're counting attractions that aren't rides, The Magic of Disney Animation

brb1006

Good to see the choices I would have listed.

#1 in my mind is most certainly the Original 'Journey Into Imagination'
No real justified reason why that was closed and completely gutted to bare walls.
It was a wonderfully engineneered storytelling marvel that truly inspired on so many levels and was absolutely timeless.
Just needed a few operational updates ( film projectors to digital, sound systems, etc. ) and it could still be revelant and popular with Guests today.
There was no need to remove it completely.
It was closed under misdirected circumstances and questionable reasons ( budget cutbacks outlined by management at the time, outright sabotage by OPs, etc. ) which makes the tragedy of its removal all the more heartbreaking.

Next would be '20,000 Leagues'.
It was a unique experience, and a cool one at that.
Really wish it was still there, but it was also a victim of the rampant cut backs that were being rolled out by the Company in the late 90s.
It also fell prey to inter-Park Ops sabotage to hasten it's removal.

I would also add the early incarnation of 'The Living Seas'.
Much more interesting and thematic pre-Pixar invasion.

-
The Imagination Pavilion nowadays doesn't even have it's own area music like it used to until 1998.

brb1006

Actually, it does.

The 'hidden' restrooms at the Imaginations Pavilion still play the original loop from 1982.
I think it's even still on 8-track tape....

-
You mean the Interior music? Well at least it might be the last remaining bit from the original incarnation after what happened to the original Imageworks.

Figments Friend

Are JII's hidden restrooms and The Land the only places you can still hear 1982 area loops?

Those are the two I remember.
The Odyssey also still played it's original loop when I was inside for a special event in 2007.
So 70s....so disco.....so groovy.

I will always remember being freaked out when taking a break near the walkway in front The Land and hearing that late 70s exterior loop music pumping out of the speakers hidden in the shrubbery...in the mid 2000s.
It was a total surprise...never expected to still hear that being used.

Ditto regarding the Imagination Pavilion 'hidden' restrooms loop.
Absolutely geeked out as I know that music well.
I wanted to stay in there and listen to the whole loop, but people were kind of looking at me funny....you know, hanging out in a public restroom alone and all....
;)

-

brb1006

Those are the two I remember.
I will always remember being freaked out when taking a break near the walkway in front The Land and hearing that late 70s exterior loop music pumping out of the speakers hidden in the shrubbery...in the mid 2000s.
It was a surprise...never expected to still hear that being used.

Ditto regarding the Imagination Pavilion 'hidden' restrooms loop.
Absolutely geeked out.
I wanted to stay in there and listen to the whole loop, but people were kind of looking at me funny....you know, hanging out in a public restroom alone and all....
;)

-
I wish Walt Disney World still did extra stuff like that. This might be why some users really love the bathrooms... most of them that is. It appears that the bathrooms at Imagination is one of the few ones at WDW that are mostly clean.

Andrew_Animatronic

The ORIGINAL Imagination with Dreamfinder & Figment. I still cannot believe they replaced it with what they did. Reprehensible.

Next would be Maelstrom. Maelstrom never should have been demolished. Frozen should have been NEW and not a replacement.
I agree. Maelstrom was was a big reason I loved EPCOT, but it's understandable that with all of the new clientele (i.e. children) visiting the park, it seemed necessary to replace a old fashion ride with something they know and enjoy.

FettFan

My favorite --
foodrocks_entrance2002cb.jpg

Eh. I was never crazy about Food Rocks.
Kitchen Kabaret was timeless and classic because it was its own thing with its own music...but when they put pop music in there, it automatically dated it (see also: Tiki Room Under New Management)

The dating was especially worse with Tone Loc hosting it. He was everywhere in the early 90s.

Food Rocks definitely had a limited shelf life.

bjlc57

20,000 leagues for sure.. and then if I had wings.. or was it flight to Mars.. this was a space flight in Fantasy land.. sponsored by Delta Air lines.. back in the day...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom